Dolce Gusto or Nespresso? Which coffee maker is better? Nespresso or Dolce Gusto? Peace of mind: from now on, no more doubts. Welcome to our comparison between what are perhaps the two most popular brands of capsule coffee makers: Nespresso vs Dolce Gusto. We will slowly analyse the advantages and disadvantages of each one of them so that you can objectively choose the option that best suits your needs. We are sure that a lot of machines have been purchased between these two brands in recent years.
When choosing which coffee maker to buy (Nespresso or Dolce Gusto), remember that within each brand, you have several models of coffee makers, which you will also have to choose and study carefully, but that is another matter. We are now going to focus on the Nespresso vs Dolce Gusto debate in a generic way, trying to talk about the pros and cons common to all models of each brand.
- 1 Nespresso vs Dolce Gusto: essential differences
- 2 Is Nespresso and Dolce Gusto the same thing?
- 3 Advantages and disadvantages of Dolce Gusto coffee machines
- 4 Advantages and disadvantages of Nespresso coffee machines
- 5 Comparison between Dolce Gusto and Nespresso coffee makers
- 6 Conclusions of the Dolce Gusto vs Nespresso comparison: Which coffee maker should I buy?
Nespresso vs Dolce Gusto: essential differences
Currently, both brands have around ten different coffee machines on the market. Meet them all here:
And, without further ado, let’s start with our comparison between Nespresso and Dolce Gusto coffee makers. Before going any further, let’s start with the fundamental questions:
Is Nespresso and Dolce Gusto the same thing?
No! They are different capsule systems. The capsules of the two brands are entirely different from each other in terms of size, density and materials. They don’t work on the non-branded coffee maker. So, don’t insist or wonder anymore if Nespresso and Dolce Gusto are compatible: they are not; you cannot use Dolce Gusto capsules in Nespresso coffee machines, nor vice versa.
What you can use is a capsule adapter, which is a different story.
Advantages and disadvantages of Dolce Gusto coffee machines
In this section, we will objectively assess the strengths and weaknesses of each system. Nespresso and Dolce Gusto face to face.
✅ Advantages of Dolce Gusto vs Nespresso coffee machines
- Dolce Gusto coffee machines are cheaper than Nespresso machines. For example, you can buy a Mini-Me or a Piccolo for a derisory 50-60 Pounds.
- You can find Dolce Gusto capsules in almost any supermarket.
- You get more coffee. You can make up to a whole cup of the 200ml ones. It is possible thanks to the enhanced setting of the Dolce Gusto Play&Select system, with up to 7 levels or volumes, while
- Nespresso only differentiates between two sizes: long and short. Also helping are the Dolce Gusto varieties specifically designed for long coffee lovers: the Lungo and Grande Intenso.
- You can make chocolate and tea because it has capsules for that.
- The price of the Dolce Gusto capsule is lower than the Nespresso, about 26 cents. Check out this article for more details: Cheap Dolce Gusto capsules. Or visit the online shop on our website: Buy Dolce Gusto Capsules.
❌ Disadvantages of Dolce Gusto vs Nespresso coffee machines
- One of the main differences between Nespresso and Dolce Gusto is that the latter does not have as many speciality coffees (however, you can always check out the premium varieties, such as Dallmayr Prodomo and Crema d’Oro).
- Most Dolce Gusto coffee makers don’t have a capsule reservoir – there are some, but they are exceptions. To put a coffee in, you must take out the previous capsule. The Nespresso has a capsule holder, and you throw them away every day.
- The taste of the coffee is not as intense as Nespresso or as that of espresso machines in a coffee shop.
- Dolce Gusto capsules are more significant and can contaminate more when thrown away.
Advantages and disadvantages of Nespresso coffee machines
What factors help you to choose a Nespresso coffee machine? Which ones work against you? We know them in this section:
✅ Advantages of Nespresso vs Dolce Gusto coffee machines
- The taste of coffee is authentic. If you are a coffee lover, this is your coffee maker. It applies to all models, even the most basic ones, such as the Essenza Mini.
- The deposit of used capsules. Once you use a capsule, when you lift the lever, it is stored inside. It’s very convenient.
- It has a great variety of flavours, but only coffee. There is a rumour that Nespresso is going to release some teas, but months go by, and this news never arrives.
- They are expensive coffee machines with exquisite designs. Special mention should be made of top-of-the-range coffee makers such as the Creatista or Lattissima, just for the most demanding! Dolce Gusto does not present coffee machines of such a high level.
- The water tank has a larger volume and is very comfortable to take out and put in.
- Some machines have the possibility of foaming.
- They are beginning to sell many compatible capsules in any supermarket, although from 2015, the market for compatible capsules will be equal to that of the two brands. Check all the Nespresso varieties available here.
❌ Disadvantages of Nespresso vs Dolce Gusto coffee machines
- The price of the capsules is higher. Over 30 cents.
- Espressos are very short. They are for a small cup.
- Long coffees are also short. They are 110 ml, while a cup needs more than 220 ml. If you like to drink a lot of coffee, you almost need to use two capsules.
- Nespresso capsules are only sold in online shop or Nespresso stores. There are not many physical stores.
- The website for ordering Nespresso capsules is inconvenient, and if you don’t take a promotion, you will have to pay for the shipping.
Comparison between Dolce Gusto and Nespresso coffee makers
If you want to see both types of coffee machines in operation, just look at this comparison video from Aromacup.com:
Naturally, the specific features you get will depend on the exact model you choose from each brand.
In this sense, we have already said that Nespresso generally has a wider range of high-end machines, with advanced functions of various kinds, while Dolce Gusto machines are all more similar to each other.
Conclusions of the Dolce Gusto vs Nespresso comparison: Which coffee maker should I buy?
When it comes to choosing which coffee maker to buy, Nespresso or Dolce Gusto, we recommend that you be very clear about what you are going to use it for.
For family use, we recommend Dolce Gusto coffee machines. They are cheaper, have a wider variety of drinks (teas, chocolates), and can be enjoyed by children as well as by coffee lovers.
However, if you’re a real coffee eater, any option other than a Nespresso machine will taste useful to you. To put a coffee maker in your business and offer coffee to your customers or in meetings, professional Nespresso coffee makers will undoubtedly give you the best corporate image.
Which is better, Nespresso or Dolce Gusto? Dolce Gusto or Nespresso, which one do you recommend? Do the Dolce Gusto single-dose blends work for Nespresso? Every day we receive dozens of queries, comments and emails with questions of this type. And the answer is always the same: none. It depends on your tastes and your consumption needs. And we hope that this comparison has finally made it clear to you.
And well, if you don’t decide on either, you always have the option of acquiring this adapter for Nespresso capsules for Dolce Gusto machines (not vice versa), which allows you to enjoy both formats in the same coffee machine:
- 1. Pay attention to details: Using thick food grade PP material and 304 stainless steel, very economical! Heat-resistant! Not easy to deform!
- 2. Upgraded version: Add a cap of coffee powder to seal better and prevent powder from spilling; Add the filter and filter cap to prevent coffee from leaking out and make the taste more delicate.
- 3. Fully tested: The integrated flip cover design can prevent finger burns, and the reserved holes can be connected and used without aligning the water outlet.
- 4. Suitable for the following models: DOLCE GUSTO EDG606, DOLCE GUSTO EDG466 Genio2, DOLCE GUSTO EDG305 Mini Me, DOLCE GUSTO EDG455TEX1, DOLCE GUSTO EDG250, DOLCE GUSTO EDG626, Dolce gusto KP1108
- 5. Customer Satisfaction Service - We provide professional customer service before and after your purchase. If there is any quality problem with the capsule adapter, please feel free to contact us.