Dolce Gusto vs Nespresso: which coffee machine is better? In this article, I intend to analyse all the features of both brands and compare them with each other so that you can decide which one is best suited to your needs.
Nespresso and Dolce Gusto have different models, which vary relatively between them. This factor may also affect your final decision, but we discuss it in this other article.
Here we will focus on the Nespresso vs Dolce Gusto debate generically, discussing the pros and cons common to all models of each brand. Although both brands belong to the Nestlé group, they use different coffee pod systems (not compatible).
- 1 Is Nespresso and Dolce Gusto the same thing?
- 2 Nespresso vs Dolce Gusto differences: comparison chart
- 3 Advantages and disadvantages of Dolce Gusto coffee machines
- 4 Advantages and disadvantages of Nespresso coffee machines
- 5 Comparison between Dolce Gusto and Nespresso coffee makers
- 6 Conclusions: Which coffee maker should I buy?
Is Nespresso and Dolce Gusto the same thing?
The coffee pods of the two brands are different from each other in terms of size, shape and materials. Therefore, pods are not interchangeable between the two brands.
That said, Dolce Gusto and Nespresso have one thing in common: the corporate group to which they belong, which is Nestlé. While Dolce Gusto was born in 2006 with the XP2000 model, Nespresso appeared much earlier, in 1986 with its C-100 model.
Nespresso vs Dolce Gusto differences: comparison chart
With this table, you will understand at a glance the most important differences between Dolce Gusto and Nespresso coffee machines.
|Variety of coffee pods||Wide range of espressos, ristrettos and lungo||Little variety of espressos but plenty of coffee&milk beverages|
|Availability of coffee pods||Official Nespresso and online shops||Supermarkets and online|
|Cost of coffee pods||More expensive||Cheaper|
|Coffee volume||Programmable||Modifiable with selector|
|Coffee quality||Better quality and coffee flavour||Lower quality|
|Container for used pods||Removes the coffee pod automatically||You must remove the coffee pod manually|
|Cappuccinos and lattes||With fresh milk (Aeroccino)||With milk pods|
Advantages and disadvantages of Dolce Gusto coffee machines
In this section, we will objectively assess the strengths and weaknesses of each system. Nespresso and Dolce Gusto face to face.
✅ Advantages of Dolce Gusto vs Nespresso coffee machines
- The lower price of the coffee machine.
- Greater availability of coffee pods.
- Greater variety of coffee pods.
- Flexible coffee drink sizes.
- Lowe price of coffee pods.
❌ Disadvantages of Dolce Gusto vs Nespresso coffee machines
- Little variety of espresso pods.
- Lack of a container for used coffee pods.
- Less intense flavour
- Dolce Gusto pods are less environmentally friendly.
Advantages and disadvantages of Nespresso coffee machines
What factors help you to choose a Nespresso coffee machine? Which ones work against you? We know them in this section:
✅ Advantages of Nespresso vs Dolce Gusto coffee machines
- Great tasting espresso coffee.
- Integrated container for used coffee pods.
- Wide range of espresso flavours.
- Elegant designs on all models of the coffee machine.
- Aeroccino models allow you to froth milk in just a few minutes.
- Wide range of compatible pods on the market.
❌ Disadvantages of Nespresso vs Dolce Gusto coffee machines
- The price of the coffee pods is higher.
- Drinks cannot be manually customised in volume.
- Nespresso coffee pods are only sold in their official store or online.
Comparison between Dolce Gusto and Nespresso coffee makers
If you want to see both types of coffee machines in operation, look at this comparison video from Aromacup.com:
Naturally, the specific characteristics of each coffee machine will depend on the model you choose from each brand.
In this regard, we have already mentioned that Nespresso tends to have a wider range of top-of-the-range machines, with advanced functions of various kinds, while Dolce Gusto machines are more similar.
If I had to choose one coffee machine from each brand, I would choose a Nespresso Vertuo Plus or a Dolce Gusto Mini Me. They both have a great selling price, are robust and have a good design:
Conclusions: Which coffee maker should I buy?
When deciding whether to buy a Nespresso or Dolce Gusto coffee machine, the first thing to define is who will use it. Remember that Nespresso only has high-quality (and expensive) espresso pods, so if you want to prepare cappuccinos or lattes, it is better to opt for a Dolce Gusto.
The choice will also depend on how many coffees you make and the style of your kitchen. The Dolce Gusto is ideal for those who need to prepare a lot of coffees in youthful-style kitchens. On the other hand, if you have an elegant kitchen and enjoy a few coffees but want them to be of high quality, Nespresso is the machine for you.
With this guide, you should be perfectly able to choose the brand that best suits your needs. I own both brands of coffee machines, and I use Dolce Gusto daily. However, I use Nespresso on weekends or when I want a special coffee.