Which coffee machine is better: Senseo or Tassimo? Senseo and Tassimo are perhaps the two capsule coffee brands that rank one step below Nespresso and Dolce Gusto in terms of popularity and market presence.
However, this does not detract from their quality. On the contrary, both Tassimo and Senseo offer coffee machines with excellent performance, and the beverages they make are no slouches either. In fact, they are popular choices for offices and workplaces with a small number of employees.
In this Tassimo vs Senseo comparison, we are going to analyse the features of each brand in detail and recommend the best purchase option for your needs.
If you are unsure about which coffee machine to buy (Tassimo or Senseo), this is the guide for you. Let’s get started:
- 1 Differences between Senseo and Tassimo: Basic comparison
- 2 Advantages and disadvantages of Tassimo vs Senseo coffee machines
- 3 Advantages and disadvantages of Senseo vs Tassimo coffee machines
- 4 Conclusions of the comparison: Which is better, Senseo or Tassimo?
Differences between Senseo and Tassimo: Basic comparison
There are two fundamental differences between Senseo and Tassimo single-serve coffee machines that you should take into account before deciding on your purchase: the cost and the type of beverages.
Firstly, the price of the capsules. Senseo uses Marcilla capsules which cost, on average, around 15 or 16 cents per pound each. It also accepts Senseo-compatible capsules from private label brands, which we will not go into here, but if someone wants to use them, they will also save a few cents more on their coffee.
Tassimo, on the other hand, works with various brands, always top brands (Suchard, Milka, Carte Noire, Starbucks), and the prices of the capsules are much higher, around 30 cents each. But in addition to the price of each individual capsule, it should be noted that most Tassimo drinks (anything other than black coffee) are made from two capsules, which doubles the price of each drink.
The other major difference is that Tassimo allows the preparation of different drinks (coffees, cappuccinos, lattes, chocolates, teas, etc.) while Senseo’s offer is limited to coffees and their derivatives.
Another interesting fact is that Senseo coffee machines are manufactured by Philips, whereas Tassimo coffee machines are manufactured by Bosch.
Advantages and disadvantages of Tassimo vs Senseo coffee machines
At this point, we are going to get straight to the point because we are sure that you will want to have clear ideas before deciding between one brand and the other.
Advantages of Tassimo vs Senseo coffee machines
- You can make all kinds of drinks, not just coffee. And all of them are top brands. It does not work exclusively with any brand.
- In the opinion of almost all the experts and users, the quality and taste of all the drinks are excellent.
- The cleaning and descaling systems are automatic: the maintenance of Tassimo coffee machines is not a concern for the user.
Disadvantages of Tassimo coffee machines compared to Senseo
- Many of the drinks need two capsules for brewing, such as cappuccinos, for example, and this makes the price of the product significantly higher in the long run.
- There is a lack of a truly high-end single-serve coffee machine from Tassimo to compete with the more advanced models of the competition.
- There are no Tassimo compatible capsules. The barcode system of the T-Discs is an exclusive Tassimo patent. There are Tassimo refillable capsules, which you can reuse and refill yourself by hand with the coffee of your choice.
Advantages and disadvantages of Senseo vs Tassimo coffee machines
Exactly the same as in the previous point, but from the opposite perspective. Let’s get to know the pros and cons of Senseo coffee machines vs Tassimo coffee makers:
Advantages of Senseo coffee machines vs Tassimo coffee machines
- Tassimo has a wider variety of drinks, but Senseo has a wider variety of coffees. Here you can review the full range of Senseo pods.
- The price of both the capsules and the coffee machines is significantly cheaper than Tassimo. And there are also many compatible brands.
- The top of the range includes models with very interesting extras, such as the Senseo Latte Duo, which includes a magnificent milk frother to make fresh milk foam, or the Senseo Twist, now discontinued, with a 100% touch-sensitive LED control panel.
- You can make two cups at once, a function that neither Tassimo nor any other brand offers.
Disadvantages of Senseo coffee machines compared to Tassimo
- We have repeated it several times: their capsules only allow you to prepare coffee. No chocolate drinks or herbal teas.
- Almost all Senseo machines offer rather basic features, and their range of offerings has been losing units in recent years. The catalogue is practically reduced to the Senseo Original and the Senseo Viva Café. Little else.
Conclusions of the comparison: Which is better, Senseo or Tassimo?
The question is basically what you want to use the machine for. If you are only going to consume coffee, then Senseo coffee machines should be your choice. They are cheaper, the coffee is of high quality, and they will offer you less hassle. The Senseo Latte Duo is an unbeatable choice for this purpose.
If, on the other hand, you want your coffee machine to also be used to make other drinks, such as chocolates, teas, etc., then you should definitely opt for a Tassimo single-serve coffee machine.
The investment will cost you a little more in the long run, but you will get the most out of it. What’s more, all their preparations come from top brands such as Milka, Carte Noire, Twinnings, and the taste is excellent in all of them. The Happy is usually the most popular, but if you are looking for something more sophisticated, the best Tassimo machine is the MyWay: