Refillable coffee pods for Tassimo, which have existed for years for other brands, have long been the Holy Grail for users of these Bosch machines. And fortunately, their quest is finally coming to end.
Are there refillable coffee pods for Tassimo? Yes, at last!
For many years, a huge number of users have been asking whether refillable capsules compatible with Tassimo are available. We kept repeating over and over again that Tassimo was a closed patent system and therefore no other company can access the barcodes of its T-Discs system (which is what Tassimo coffee machines read in order to process the coffee).
However, this changed at the beginning of 2021 with the appearance on the market of rechargeable capsules for Tassimo, with a striking orange lid, which have a unique generic barcode and which also come with a cleaning brush and a digital measuring spoon so that we can serve our ground coffee every time we want to use it.
This is what it looks like:
We don’t know if this will lead to an opening and subsequent appearance of white brands of Tassimo compatibles, as happened with Dolce Gusto from 2015, but it is undoubtedly a hopeful first step.
On the other hand, you can always try to refill Tassimo capsules (at your own risk), but no one can guarantee that the result will be optimal. If you are a user of this brand, you already know that one of its historical drawbacks was that you were obliged to use its official consumables at all times.
What are the refillable coffee pods for Tassimo like?
Of course, at first glance, neither the size nor the materials of these reusable Tassimo capsules are distinguishable from the originals. Otherwise, they would not fit into the capsule holder of the machines.
On Amazon you can find various manufacturers and rechargeable Tassimo pods from different brands, but they are all the same. Their basic characteristics are detailed below:
- You can buy them in two sizes to choose from: 60ml or 180ml. In other words: for normal coffees and for long coffees.
- They have an orange-coloured silicone lid, which can be removed and replaced each time the capsule is filled. Its function is to hermetically seal the capsule so that the coffee does not spill out when the coffee machine injects water. The lid is printed with a generic bar code that the coffee machine can read.
- They are compatible with the majority of old and current Tassimo coffee machines… but the manufacturer warns that if in doubt it is best to send them an email to make sure.
- Inside is a stainless steel filter (removable, so that it can be washed and cleaned thoroughly after each use).
- Accessories include plastic measuring spoons, a small cleaning brush (very small) and sometimes – this depends on the manufacturer – a battery-operated digital spoon, which is a really high quality accessory, although it seems a little unnecessary and makes the final price of the set more expensive.
- It’s important to be clear that all of these refillable Tassimo capsules come from independent manufacturers and are not endorsed or guaranteed by Bosch or Tassimo.
How refillable coffee pods for Tassimo are used?
The use of reusable capsules for Tassimo is basically the same as for any other refillable capsules on the market. We will summarise the step-by-step process here:
Time required: 3 minutes.
Here are the steps you need to follow to use your Tassimo refillable capsule:
- Open the lid and fill the capsule with the ground coffee of your choice. The capsule has a stop mark on the inside. You can put in as much coffee as you like, as long as you do not exceed this indicator mark. It is not necessary to press it very hard.
- Close the capsule by placing the silicone lid in place. You should go over all the edges and make sure that the capsule is tightly sealed on all sides.
- Insert the capsule into your Tassimo machine and make the coffee. Just like a normal T-Disc. Remember to use the amount of water corresponding to the capsule size you have purchased: 60ml or 180ml.
- Clean and dry the capsule to perfection. Tassimo refillable capsules are more sustainable and better for the environment, but they are also more cumbersome for the user: you have to clean and dry them thoroughly to get them ready for the next use.
If you still have any doubts about how to use Tassimo Bosch refillable capsules, this video is sure to clear them all up for you: