Hikers, campers and other outdoor enthusiasts are used to living and enjoying the little things on their four wheels. Whether in vans adapted for camping, or in classic motorhomes or campervans, coffee machines are a basic element in everyday life if you plan to get up, have breakfast and spend a lot of hours of your holiday in these peculiar “houses on wheels”.
So, if you are thinking of buying a coffee maker for your motorhome, here we are going to give you some advice so that you know how to choose between the different options on the market.
Before reading on, we recommend that you take a look at these related contents that have a lot to do with the topic of motorhome coffee machines and portable machines:
There are several types of machines with a close relationship between them, sometimes even separated by a very diffuse line… but with clear differences between them that we will clarify in this article about the best way to prepare your coffee in a campervan.
- 1 What voltage do I need to look at if I want to use a coffee machine in the Motorhome or Campervan?
- 2 The 5 best options of coffee maker for your motorhome or campervan
- 3 Other original ideas for making coffee in your campervan
What voltage do I need to look at if I want to use a coffee machine in the Motorhome or Campervan?
It depends. If you want to plug it into a normal socket, any voltage will do, of course. But campervans have some peculiarities and limited space, and you have to take into account certain details, such as storage space.
If you don’t want to use the electric current but the cigarette lighter socket, bear in mind that it can normally be 12v or 24v, depending on your vehicle (in a normal car it’s always 12v). If this is your option and you are looking for a 12v motorhome coffee maker, you can choose from several models like the ones listed here:
Remember that you can always choose a coffee maker that does not plug in, but in that case you will have to provide a method for heating the water beforehand.
The 5 best options of coffee maker for your motorhome or campervan
We are not going to recommend specific models because selecting the 5 best motorhome coffee makers would be unfair, we would leave many options out of the list.
We believe that a list of hints and tips is much more practical and useful for our readers by grouping our selection by “type of machine” and indicating the corresponding arguments. This will certainly give you many more ideas for your campervan:
A cheap pod coffee maker
We started with a very accessible option, because in any shop we can find them, but that surely has not passed through the mind of many people: A pod coffee maker.
What are its advantages? Well, mainly its small size and comfort of use. Its disadvantages? Well, everyone knows that capsules are not exactly the most environmentally friendly system, so having to carry them around in a camper van or motorhome… but you always have the option of using compostable capsules to alleviate this problem.
If you are looking for a motorhome nespresso machine, the Essenza Mini will be your best choice. And if you prefer a Dolce Gusto motorhome coffee maker, the Piccolo XS is the most compact and practical model for this purpose.
A Pour Over coffee maker
Pour over coffee machines are inexpensive, do not need electricity, take up little space and can be stored anywhere (this is important in a campervan). They are essentially filter coffee machines but not electric but manual. They allow you to control all the coffee processing parameters yourself and always do it to your liking.
The only drawback is that you will need hot water to use them, so you will have to add a good kettle to the kit of coffee pots and pans to take with you in your campervan.
- ☞Automatic Pour Over- Simulating a skilled barista pour over and simplifies your routine. Just prepare the hot water and fill the coffee powder. As easy as pie to brew a cup of tasty coffee by...
- ☞Sturdy, Compact, and Portable - Shatterproof material to withstand drop down or repeated washing. Battery-powered(batteries not included), lightweight and compact design, brings extraordinary...
- ☞Even Coffee Extraction - Press the button(please insert the batteries), pour in the hot water. It will automatically rotate at an ideal speed. Precise timing and water to coffee ratio, and even...
- ☞Eco-friendly Reusable Filter- Extra fine wire mesh filter to maintain the special flavor of coffee. No paper filters needed. Suitable grind size: medium coarse/medium/medium fine. Easy to clean....
- ☞Food Grade Certified Materials- Built with the same safe materials used in Baby Feeding Products: Tritan. FDA certified for ensured quality. Endure a temperature as high as 109°C.
A french press coffee maker could be a similar alternative, with the same advantages… although they are more bulky and rather more fragile for these trots. If you choose a French press for your campervan, we recommend that it should be made of stainless steel rather than glass.
Durability and robustness are important aspects that you should evaluate before buying a portable coffee maker for your campervan or van.
A travel coffee maker
There are essentially two types of coffee machines specifically designed for excursions, trips, etc. One is portable, for obvious reasons: they are small and apart from being easy to transport, they allow you to make a decent coffee anywhere.
Others are car coffee machines, which are connected to the cigarette lighter socket of the vehicles (12v for cars, 24v for trucks, vans and motorhomes).
Either type will come in handy as a travel coffee maker, which can accompany you on your adventures and holidays for several days away from home. However, it is important that you know the advantages and disadvantages of each one.
The most important one: The portable ones in some cases do not generate heat and therefore you will need to heat the water by other means.
Those that are plugged into the campervan cigarette lighter can take the energy from there, and heat the water without depending on other devices.
You should also bear in mind that portable ones are usually espresso machines and work with single doses, while coffee machines that are plugged into your campervan’s lighter socket can be other types, both large and small (e.g. filter, like this one):
- Travel coffee maker: this 1-cup coffee maker is ideal for on the go. It prepares a fresh cup of coffee in the car or truck at the touch of a button without having to drive to the next resting place.
- With plastic filter: the Dunlop travel coffee maker has a permanent filter made of plastic. This eliminates the need to buy paper filters, which protects both the environment and your wallet.
- With on/off switch: the device is switched on or off by pressing a button on the switch. The passenger can do this comfortably while driving.
- For the cigarette igniter: the coffee maker has a connection that can be easily plugged in the car or in the lorry with the cigarette lighter.
- Strong performance: The Dunlop mini coffee maker has a medium power consumption of 170 W. This means that the water gets hot within a very short time and a freshly brewed coffee is ready.
Aerobie’s Aeropress is the paradigm of quality, simple and economical coffee machine. If you want to make a good espresso wherever you are, this machine is the best possible camping coffee machine with the best quality-price ratio. However, it has two drawbacks that we must highlight:
- It is quite unknown.
- It does not generate heat so you must heat the water on your own beforehand.
If you adapt yourself to it, success is guaranteed. Moreover, it is not only practical to keep it in your campervan but also to carry it with you if you go on a trip or a long walk.
- Popular with coffee enthusiasts worldwide, the patented AeroPress is a new kind of coffee press that uses a rapid, total immersion brewing process to make smooth, delicious, full flavored coffee...
- Good-bye French Press! The rapid brewing AeroPress avoids the bitterness and high acidity created by the long steep time required by the French press. Plus, the AeroPress paper Microfilter eliminates...
- Makes 1 to 3 cups of American coffee per pressing in about a minute, and unlike a French press, it can also brew espresso style coffee for use in lattes, cappuccinos and other espresso based drinks.
- Perfect for home kitchen use, the AeroPress is lightweight, compact, portable and durable, making it also ideal for traveling, camping, backpacking, boating and more!
- Includes the AeroPress press, funnel, scoop, stirrer, 350 microfilters and a filter holder. Phthalate free and BPA free. Mug not included. Assembled measurements: 9 1/2" h X 4" w X 4" d
A traditional Italian coffee maker
Why complicate your life? If you go camping or hiking regularly, it’s easy to take a gas cooker in your camper van or campervan. If you want to enjoy a freshly brewed, warm, quality coffee, just put an Italian mocha on the cooker and you will have enough.
The advantages of opting for this solution are that you will spend little money, and also because there are so many sizes to choose from you will always be able to find a moka that suits the amount of coffee you need to make depending on the number of travellers. Our post about Italian coffee machines by size will guide you.
Other original ideas for making coffee in your campervan
Of course, we can always go out of our way and look for other alternatives to enjoy a good coffee in our campervans.
For example, do you know the Vietnamese coffee machines? They can serve you in the same way as the Pour Over, for example. Or the USB coffee machines, a fairly original and innovative instrument but which can be very practical because nowadays most modern vehicles have USB sockets for charging any device.
No products found.