With the opening of patents on the main capsule systems, there has been a proliferation of dozens of coffee pod brands, as well as options for consumers to enjoy them all. Many users do not know that there were no Dolce Gusto-compatible capsules until 2015 for this reason
These include the popular universal capsule coffee machines, also known as multi-capsule coffee machines, which can be used for all formats and brands of single-dose coffee.
A reflection of this market trend is the marketing of the Dolce Gusto-Nespresso capsule adapter, or the multi-pod coffee machines which we will study in detail in this guide.
What is a multi-capsule coffee machine?
The first question we need to clear up is what do we mean by a 3-in-1 multi-capsule coffee machine? What everyone expects is a coffee machine that allows you to use Dolce Gusto and Nespresso coffee pos at the same time, but this is not always possible, as we will see below. There are multi-capsule coffee machines that do not work with either of these systems.
Similarly, there are multi-function coffee machines or multi-purpose coffee machines, which can be used for several things, or even work with different coffee processing methods (such as combi coffee machines), but not with capsules.
Nor should they be confused with pod coffee machines that are suitable for one system but are marketed by a different manufacturer than the capsules.
This is the case, for example, with the NPG Fiorella NP-150, which works with Nespresso capsules, but has nothing to do with the Nespresso brand. The Xiaomi coffee machine also uses its own pods with the same system as Nespresso and is therefore equally compatible with Nespresso capsules (but does not support those of any other system).
German Pool CMC111 coffee machine
The German Pool was one of the first multi-capsule coffee machines to be launched on the European market.
It is extremely popular in Portugal and Brazil under the name of KREA ES200 or KREA Multipla. It is equipped with a 19-bar pressure pump and works as standard with Dolce Gusto Nespresso system capsules and also as ESE single pods. Even with ground coffee!
This “miracle” is due to an ingenious system of interchangeable coffee pods, each with a different shape and size. When you want to make your own coffee, it is just a matter of choosing the one you want according to the capsule you are going to use.
Pay attention, because the German Pool CMC111 coffee machine includes the 7 adapters among the mentioned above, but you can also purchase several more for other systems.
- 7 compatible capsule adaptors/capsule brands, coffee pods and ground coffee. The capsule adaptors of LAVAZZA-ESPRESSOPOINT-type capsule; LAVAZZA-A-MODO-MIO-type capsule and the ILLY-ESE-type coffee...
- Suitable for nespresso-type capsules or alike, suitable for k-fee-type capsule or alike, Suitable for lavazza-espressopoint-type capsule or alike and so on
- Adjust the temperature according to your preference. Make a unique cup of coffee effortlessly!
- The slim, compact body is space-efficient and aesthetically appealing. Suitable for modern homes with limited space.
- Store your capsule adaptors into the compartment on top when they are not in use. Convenient and practical.
ZHAN 3 in 1 coffee machine
One of the latest additions to the booming sector of multi-capsule coffee machines is this Zhan coffee machine, a 0.7 litre capacity machine that has a system very similar to the one we have seen before in the German Pool CMC111.
It works with a series of adapters that are inserted into the capsule holder, each one valid for a specific system (or even for ground coffee). The compatible adapters for Dolce Gusto, Nespresso and ground coffee pods come as standard, so it fits perfectly with the current consumption needs of the market.
- Suitable extraction temperature 92 ℃ NTC thermostat, maintaining 92 deg.] C, the thermostat was extracted.
- Intelligent anti-dry system, overheating automatic power-off function to prevent dry.
- Safe food grade material, the use of safe food grade material, and strive food safety.
- Corrosion resistant stainless steel strainer, filter food-grade stainless steel SUS304 build.
- Removable transparent water tank, clear water, a multi-cup, refill more convenient
Lakeland 2-in-1 Coffee Pod Machine
If we had to make a ranking, this 2 in 1 Lakeland coffee maker would undoubtedly be the one to take first place. It accepts 2 capsule formats (Nespresso and Dolce Gusto), apart from the ground coffee, and allows you to choose the temperature and program the coffee preparation thanks to a timer.
Of course, its price is also above the market average, and as it is a North American brand, it cannot always be found in the Amazon Spain shop.
- Contemporary 15-bar coffee pod machine
- Compatible with Nespresso and Dolce Gusto capsules
- One-touch controls – ready in 20 seconds Choose from 7 cup sizes
- Automatic capsule puncturing system 28.5cm H. 1400W.
- Buy this product from Lakeland & you can return it for up to 3 years, proof of purchase is necessary
Illy X1 Trio coffee maker
The X1 Illy is the Italian firm’s top-of-the-range coffee maker, and has 3 versions: the Iperespresso pods, the ground coffee, and the Trio, which is the one we are concerned with.
Why is it called Illy X1 Trio, and why do we precisely include this version in our guide to buying multi-pods coffee machines? Well, because it supports three methods of making coffee:
- With Illy capsules (Iperespresso format)
- With ESE single-dose capsules.
- With normal ground coffee (through the arm and filter)
As you can see, two of these methods are by means of capsules: the paper capsules of the ESE type, or also the hard single-dose pods of the Illy system. You can find out more about this spectacular coffee maker (do not miss out on its design and colours) in the special review we prepared at the time:
- TRIO system for a narrow, normal or long espresso; system open to all types of single-dose pods; manual dispensing stop; steam lance
- Hot water delivery for tea/herbal tea; sound and light warning system; steel bodywork; brass boiler; 1 litre tank; design by Luca Trazzi
- Package Content: 1 x E.S.E. espresso coffee machine and 1 pack of 18 pods E.S.E. illy medium roasting individually sealed
- Luca Trazzi (Author)
Is it worth buying a universal capsule coffee maker?
Initially, the option of being able to use several capsule formats is attractive for consumers. We avoid one of the main disadvantages of capsule coffee machines (having to “tie” you to one system or brand) and in the process we get a wide range of options. Who does not like this possibility?
However, before you buy a multi-capsule machine online you need to look at both sides of the coin:
- Not all coffee machines that support all types of coffee pods allow you to use exactly the system you are looking for. More specifically, Nespresso and Dolce Gusto (which are the two most popular in Spain) can only be enjoyed in a couple of models.
- The possibility of using various formats and brands ends up being diluted in the long run, because in a high percentage of cases users end up buying the same ones all the time. When you discover the brand and the speciality you like the most… you will not want to know about others. And to end up always using capsules from the same system… it will always be better to use one of their “official” coffee machines.
- The possibility of using various capsule formats is often the only attraction of these machines, because otherwise they are usually somewhat basic in terms of functions and performance. Of course, therefore they are also economical.
So, think about it before you pay out, and if you know that the coffee pos are for you and you don’t know which format to choose go ahead. We have already told you all the options; now it is up to you to decide which multi-capsule coffee machine to buy.