When buying a manual milk frother, we often find ourselves in a dilemma of considering whether we are doing well or badly by discarding other, perhaps more advanced possibilities. In today’s article, we will try to clear up those doubts as clearly as possible.
A manual milk mixer, or milk creamer, is clearly different from the other two big types of milk skimmers on the market: battery-powered milk frothers and electric frothers. What is this difference? Well, it’s obvious to say: manual milk beaters work without any kind of electric current and to make the froth we have to use only our arm.
Because of their simplicity, they have the enormous advantage of price (manual milk beaters are much more affordable than electric ones), although, on the other hand, they lack advanced options such as heating the milk while emulsifying. If you buy a manual milk frother like the ones presented in this ranking, you must be aware that you must heat the milk beforehand, separately, or use the froth at room temperature.
- 1 Manual Milk Frother: How to use
- 2 The three best hand-held milk frothers
- 3 Brands of manual milk frothers
- 4 Is there a manual ATMA milk frother?
- 5 Best-selling manual milk frothers in 2020
Manual Milk Frother: How to use
The manual milk frothers consist of two basic instruments:
- A container, usually made of stainless steel.
- A handle or plunger with a mesh at one end, the same diameter as the container.
How does a hand milk frother work? It is very simple: to make milk froth, all you have to do is add as much milk as you want to the container and insert the plunger, with the mesh facing downwards.
Afterwards, we only have to shake the plunger up and down. The mesh will do its job and will be responsible for creating the tiny air bubbles in the milk that are needed to achieve the froth texture.
In this video, you can see it better:
The density and volume of the milk froth will depend on the force with which we shake the plunger of the milk frother and the time we extend the operation. It is what you see in the foreground of one of the best-known milk frothers on the market: The Bialetti Tutto Crema.
When using a manual milk frother, you must bear in mind that you must never fill it above the marks indicated on the container.
It is because milk froth, as it contains air bubbles, takes up a greater volume than milk in its normal liquid state. As you froth the milk, the volume will increase, and if you have filled your hand frother above the mark, the froth will eventually overflow.
The three best hand-held milk frothers
After this introduction to this peculiar segment of hand-frothed milk machines, it is time to review the most outstanding models (either because of their popularity, their quality or their continuous presence at the top of the sales lists).
These are, in our opinion, the most interesting manual milk frothers on the market. We offer you for each one the direct purchase link, its current price (updated in real-time) and of course the link to its review within our website so that you can get more information if you wish. Don’t lose any details, because the best manual milk frother of 2020 is surely among these:
Manual Milk Beater No. 1: Bodum Latteo
This manual frother has a capacity of 250 ml (a quarter of a litre) of milk. The container, including handle, is made of high-temperature resistant borosilicate glass and both the lid and the plunger are made of black plastic. A guarantee that comes from the German company Bodum.
- 0.25 l
- 8 oz
- Made from heat resistant borosilicate glass
- Silk plastic lid has a deep rim to prevent foam from escaping through the spout
- Dishwasher Safe
Manual Milk Beater No. 2: Bialetti Tutto Crema
A manual skimmer with a larger capacity than the previous one, which uses aluminium instead of glass for the construction of the container. Both the handle and the plunger handle are made of heat-insulating material so that you do not burn yourself when handling hot milk.
In any case, if you want to buy the best manual milk frother, your choice will probably be between one of these two models.
- Whipping milk is extremely easy and fast. It is enough to heat the milk to the preferred temperature (but not cooked, it should have a temperature of about 60-65 degrees). Then beat the heated milk...
- Material: aluminum.
- Induction hobs: no. Capacity: 166 ml.
Manual Milk Beater Nº3: Bonvivó Fomo
Bonvivó is not as well known as the previous two brands, but if you are looking for a good quality, affordable manual frother, you should consider this Fomo among your options. It is a stainless steel and glass manual milk whisk, with a capacity of 400 ml.
- ✔ FOR MILK LOVERS: The bonVIVO Fomo milk frother is the dream coffee frother for all coffee and milk lovers. The handheld milk frother is easy and intuitive to use. Easily create light and...
- ✔ QUALITY: Fomo is a stainless-steel milk frother with a heat resistant glass jug. The glass container is covered with a black rubber band that ensures that you can get a good grip on it and, at...
- ✔ DESIGN: The hot milk frother isn't just extremely practical, it is also aesthetically pleasing. Timeless classical design makes this copper finish milk frother a beautiful addition to your...
- ✔ HOW TO USE: The milk foamer is handheld. Just add warm milk to the milk foamer jug container up to the maximum fill level and pump the milk frother plunger up and down until the milk is...
- ✔ PRODUCT DETAILS: The coffee milk frother comprises a glass jug, a fine mesh sieve with a splash guard cover and a removable rubber band that ensures a good grip and protects from burns. The...
All in all, three good touchstones when buying your hand-held milk frother on Amazon.
Brands of manual milk frothers
We usually incorporate a section on “best brands” in our analysis, so that all readers can have a reference to the leading manufacturers in the market. However, in the sector of manual milk frothers, we are not going to do this.
There is no firm that we can treat as “the best brand of manual milk frothers“, basically because most brands only have one model of this type in their catalogue.
At the same time, we can find in the market (and especially in Amazon) a lot of hand milk frothers made in Asia, usually metallic and all of them with a similar design. Logically, when you read the names of the manufacturers, they will not ring a bell, but they can be an interesting alternative due to their price. Here are some examples:
Is there a manual ATMA milk frother?
We have already talked about the ATMA brand on our website. It is actually a manufacturer that is not very well known in our country, but it is very popular in the American continent.
In this case, the American company does not have a manual Atma milk frother in its catalogue, but it does offer us the very popular CA-7100E (electric) model, whose operation we can see in the next Atma milk frother in Garbarino.
Best-selling manual milk frothers in 2020
To conclude our report, we leave you with the usual sales ranking so that you have a reference when buying your manual milk frother. Remember that these are not necessarily the best manual milk frothers in existence, but rather the favourites of consumers like you.
And so far our selection, what do you think of our list of milk frothers? Are you missing any manual milk frothers that are not listed here?