All users have at some time asked themselves the same question: How do you refill Dolce Gusto capsules? Yes, yes, don’t smile that you’ve thought about it too, have you? Well, if your coffee maker is of this brand, don’t stop reading because we’ll give you the answer below.
However, coffeemaker.top makes it clear that the following processes for filling Dolce Gusto capsules are your responsibility and that both the manufacturers and we recommend that you always use and buy official Dolce Gusto capsules. If your concern is price, here are some excellent tips: buy cheap Dolce Gusto capsules or use the more expensive but more reliable Dolce Gusto refillable capsules.
Below are some of the possibilities for reusing Dolce Gusto capsules. If you want to know how to refill Dolce Gusto capsules, be sure to read on:
Instructions for refilling Dolce Gusto capsules
There are several techniques for refilling Dolce Gusto capsules. Still, most follow a necessary process: cut off the bottom of the capsule, empty any remaining coffee grounds, fill it with the coffee blend of your choice, and close it again.
In this last step, there are the most significant differences: you can use a cutout piece of another empty capsule that fits perfectly with the first half. That is, as if you were building a single capsule from two different capsule halves or also use aluminium foil.
You should be aware that all the techniques are valid for any Dolce Gusto coffee maker, from the more classic models such as the Piccolo or the Jovia, to the more modern ones such as the Dolce Gusto Mini Me.
Here are two explanatory videos for refilling Dolce Gusto capsules which in our opinion make the process quite clear. However, you can undoubtedly find many other techniques, more or less homemade, by diving on the Internet.
Refilling Dolce Gusto capsules using two empty or worn out capsules
What to do with empty coffee capsules? If you have ever asked yourself this question, then please pay attention to the following. In the second of the videos, we use the technique of cutting out two different empty capsule halves to build our recycled capsule and fill it with the coffee of our choice. The main difference with the previous technique is that here the original capsule lid is kept intact. The steps of this technique, a little more difficult than the previous one, are the following:
- Cut off the bottom of a new (unused) Dolce Gusto capsule to leave only the top half.
- Empty the remains, taking care not to break the plastic or the inside of the capsule.
- Cut out a used capsule until you get a piece that fits perfectly into the capsule you cut out. You will now have two halves: the upper half (of the first capsule) and the lower half (of the second capsule). Make sure that both fit perfectly.
- Remove the aluminium foil inside the lower half. You will need to replace it with a piece of aluminium foil that you have cut out.
- Fill the first trimmed capsule with your favourite coffee blend.
- Place the bottom half (which we had reserved from point 3).
Again, make sure that both parts fit together well.
How to refill Dolce Gusto capsules using aluminium foil
The first is the one that uses aluminium foil as the main base for the process. The main secret of this method is that the coffee is pressed very well when the aluminium foil lid is placed, so that there are no holes or air pockets anywhere. If you want to reuse Dolce Gusto capsules, the lid must look like new.
Here is a summary of the steps for refilling Dolce Gusto capsules using aluminium foil:
- Cut out the plastic lid with a cutter and empty the inside of the capsule.
- Fill it with your favourite coffee blend.
- Cover the capsule with aluminium foil. The whole assembly must be well sealed.
- Make incisions with a needle, safety pin or similar, in the aluminium cap you have just placed. It is to allow water to pass through under pressure.
- Cover the top of the capsule with aluminium foil. Again, it must be well sealed.
And with this, your refillable Dolce Gusto capsules are ready!
The most important part of this method of refilling Dolce Gusto capsules is to seal the aluminium foil caps that you are going to put on. If they are not well sealed, or the foil breaks when the coffee maker is started (the author of the video recommends using reinforced foil), what will happen is that water may leak out of the coffee maker.
Alternatives for refilling Dolce Gusto capsules
If neither of these two techniques for filling Dolce Gusto capsules convinces you, take a look at the following links where you can consult some other variants: