On this post we will only talk about organic coffee beans, in whatever format, but always grown naturally, without chemicals and harvested in an environmentally friendly way.
There are already enough references to “conventional” coffee on the market, so today we are going to stick to these, of higher quality and logically also of higher price ones.
Throughout this post we are going to learn what organic coffee (or eco-friendly) is, where we can find it, and which are the most common formats to acquire it.
Before we start, here is a wide range of options for buying your organic coffee beans:
As you can see, in many cases we also use the denomination of fair trade coffee, which assures us that the producers of the raw material we buy are treated and rewarded properly.
- 1 ☘️ What is organic coffee?
- 2 ☘️ Organic coffee brands
- 3 ☘️ Organic coffee in capsules
- 4 ☘️ Ground organic coffee
- 5 ☘️ Differences between organic and eco-friendly coffee
- 6 ☘️ Organic coffee: Benefits
- 7 ☘️ Where to buy organic coffee?
- 8 ☘️ The best organic coffee of 2020
☘️ What is organic coffee?
First of all, let’s clarify what we mean by organic coffee. Organic coffee, and by extension any other product that bears that name, is that which is produced without the use of any chemical component. This includes everything from pesticides or fertilizers, to herbicides or any kind of bug-killing substance. And it covers the entire process of harvesting, production, handling and packaging of coffee.
To be completely sure what the requirements for organic coffee are, you can check the European regulations on organic products.
The differences between organic and regular coffee are clear:
- No chemical intervention has been carried out on organic coffee.
- It is much more environmentally friendly and its production leaves less of a footprint.
- The taste and quality of the product is purer and less artificial.
And now, let’s move on to the question of money. If we want to take it home, you can buy organic coffee mainly in three formats:
- Organic coffee beans.
- Ground organic coffee.
- Organic coffee in capsules.
Organic coffee beans is the most common of all, but later on we will also know some options for buying ground organic coffee or in coffee pods for our more modern coffee machines.
☘️ Organic coffee brands
There are many brands of organic coffee on the market, as you will have seen in the galleries on this page, but there are some that are worth a while:
Saula organic coffee
Saula is distinguished by its long history as a premium coffee brand (not for nothing we talk about it in our guide of the best coffee in the world), and is one of the largest variety offered among organic coffee brands. You can find packs of several Saula organic coffee cans of both 250 and 500 grams, and in bean or ground format.
However, in general shops and supermarkets it is not easy to find. For most users, the fastest and easiest way is to search for their products on Amazon. Here are some of them:
Novell Organic Coffee
Consuelo is a brand we have already talked about on our website, specifically in the section on compatible capsules. Its extensive production in this industry is completed with two varieties of organic coffee for Nespresso, one decaffeinated and another normal espresso, which is also presented in compostable capsules. There is no room for more sustainability!
Coffee Masters organic coffee
We will also talk about the British brand of coffee Coffee Masters from Worcestershire, which like Saula markets several packages with organic coffee beans or ground coffee (both versions). The size of the packages varies from 250 grams to 1 kilo.
If you are interested in buying Coffee Master’s organic coffee, here are some of the packages that can be found on Amazon:
Origeens organic coffee capsules
Origeens is very aware of the sustainability of the coffee industry, and for this reason they have made a strong commitment to organic (or ecological) coffee and tea. At the moment they offer us really attractive products:
- 🌱 ORGANIC COFFEE – Origeen’s Organic coffee beans are certified from organic farming : the Whole beans are grown without using chemical products in order to respect their characteristics and...
- 🌿 LATIN AMERICA COFFEE HAMPER – This coffee gift contains 4 100% Arabica Coffee beans, to allow you to journey to the heart of Latin America : 3 mono origin coffees (Brazil, Colombia, Mexico) and...
- 🌱 ITALIAN HAND ROASTED – The coffee beans have been hand-roasted by our Italian coffee roaster using a slow method (20 minutes), which allows all the flavour to be retained in order to delight...
- 🌿 FOR ALL TYPES OF MACHINES – Our coffee has been developed to ensure a rich cream and a finish of flavours in your mouth, which makes it your ideal friend for all types of cafetieres :...
- 🌱 FRESHNESS GUARANTEED – our just-brewed coffee is packaged in a good-quality re-sealable bag with a freshness seal to ensure optimum storage, even after opening. Happy tasting !
☘️ Organic coffee in capsules
But then, is real organic coffee an exclusive privilege of the espresso machine user? Not really. If you have a capsule coffee machine, you can also enjoy a wide selection of products with an organic label.
However, you should know that most of these options are organic coffee capsules for Nespresso. Dolce Gusto users can also find some, but less.
To buy organic coffee capsules, just go to any of these brands. Many of them are well known on the market, as they also sell many varieties of normal (non-organic) coffee. Remember that you can find more information about many of them in our coffee capsule store.
☘️ Ground organic coffee
There are also many brands of organic ground coffee on the market. Among the most popular are the organic Saula coffees (which have both ground and bean formats) or those of Taylor.
Let’s not forget that there are two types of organic ground coffee on the market: normal and soluble. To buy organic instant coffee, you have the options of the Bird & Wild and Taylors among others. If you want to learn more about soluble coffee, read the article we wrote at the time.
☘️ Differences between organic and eco-friendly coffee
There is no difference between organic and eco-friendly coffee: they are synonymous and are used interchangeably to refer to the same type of coffee.
The same is not true of the name bio coffee: bio products are those whose components have not been genetically altered.
☘️ Organic coffee: Benefits
The benefits of organic coffee are obvious and well known to all. We are going to make a brief summary here of the best properties of organic coffee, although of course there will always be more to learn and investigate each one on its own.
- All the benefits of coffee that are naturally present, of course, also remain in the organic varieties. You can take a look at them in the article we have just linked to.
- Organic coffee is, by definition, healthier than normal coffee. This is an objective fact.
- Apart from the direct benefits for you (by consuming it), organic coffee also has many indirect benefits, because by buying it you are contributing to the improvement of the planet and the environment.
- A large majority (not 100%, be aware of it) of organic coffees are also fair trade coffees. By buying them, you guarantee support for the families of the producers and harvesters, who are often farmers with few resources and whose lives depend entirely on these crops.
- All organic coffee plantations are considered bird friendly: that is, they are officially recognized as being bird friendly. They help to increase the population of many species and provide them with a better habitat to live in.
☘️ Where to buy organic coffee?
When you go to buy organic coffee, these vary greatly from country to country. We make this point because we know that we have many readers from all over the world, and we do not want them to be confused by our recommendations.
To buy organic coffee in any large city, the best alternative is to go to large stores. It is not difficult to find organic coffee in supermarkets these days.
If you live in a small town, you may have fewer options and therefore find it more convenient to buy your organic coffee from Amazon (which also brings it home, so it’s almost more convenient).
☘️ The best organic coffee of 2020
When buying organic coffee at Amazon, consumer preferences are directed towards the following brands, varieties and formats: