Any owner of a coffee machine, whatever its type, should know the basic maintenance guidelines. In the case of coffee pod machines, this risk is greater because their automatism and simplicity mean that users often relax and do not worry about keeping their coffee machines in perfect condition.
The process is similar for all brands and models, but in this article, we will focus on descaling Philips Senseo coffee machines.
Why descale your Senseo coffee machine?
Descale your Senseo coffee maker is a procedure that has several benefits, among which are the following:
- You extend the useful life of your coffee maker.
- You ensure that the coffee and the dosage (volume of coffee) you have chosen are always correct.
- The preparation of coffee is less noisy.
- You guarantee all the intensity and aroma of your coffee.
- For a long-lasting espresso machine: Protects your system against limescale build-up - Philips-certified
- Maintains coffee taste over time: Descaling helps preserve top-notch coffee quality, flavour and aroma
- Sensational coffee quality: Ensures the coffee temperature is right for enhanced taste, cup after cup
- For reliable machine protection, use only with Philips products
- Please use only Philips AquaClean filter to ensure the maximum lifetime and the safety of your Philips and Saeco appliances.
If you are unsure how to describe your Senseo coffee maker, follow this tutorial step by step, and you will clear all the doubts. The instructions are essential for all models of Senseo coffee machines. From this moment on, descaling Senseo coffee machines will have no secret here. Pay attention:
What do I need to descale my Senseo coffee machine?
Before descaling a Senseo coffee maker, you must make sure you have the following items or products on hand:
- Senseo Descaler or similar descaling agent (preferably based on citric acid).
- A container large enough to collect the remains of the decalcification.
- The dosage holder (you will have to turn on the coffee maker as if you were going to prepare a drink).
- One dose is preferably used.
- Philips Senseo Coffee Descaler.
How often do I descale my Senseo coffee machine?
The frequency of descaling a Senseo coffee maker depends above all on the use we make of it. Under normal conditions of use (let’s suppose we prepare one coffee a day with our coffee maker), we must descale our Senseo coffee maker once every three months, approximately.
If you use your coffeemaker much more or less than usual, this frequency should be increased or decreased. In any case, the manufacturers recommend not to descale the Senseo coffee machine more than six times a year.
How to descale Senseo step by step
The process to descale a Senseo coffee maker takes approximately one hour and consists of the following steps.
- The first thing you have to do is fill the water tank (one litre will be enough) and dissolve the contents of our Senseo descaler in it. Remember that you should never exceed the MAX level indicated in your deposit.
- Turn on your Senseo coffee maker and wait until the indicator light stops flashing.
- Insert the single-cup dosage holder into the coffee maker and close the lid. We recommend that you use a used dose for this process.
- Place the container under the coffee spout. Remember that it must be extensive, more or less a litre and a half of capacity.
- Start the coffee machine by pressing the two-cup button.
- Please wait until the process is finished and repeat it until the water tank is completely emptied with the mixture.
- When finished, remember to empty the tank well, rinse it and clean it as often as necessary. The toxic descaling mixture and no residue should remain in the tank. If necessary, rinse the entire machine twice.
- Finally, clean and rinse the dosage holder thoroughly.