Any owner of a coffee machine, whatever its type, should know the basic maintenance guidelines. In the case of capsule coffee machines, this risk is greater because their automatism and simplicity mean that users often relax and do not worry about keeping their machine in perfect condition.
The process is similar for all brands and models, but in this article, we are going to focus in particular on descaling Philips Senseo coffee machines.
Why descale your Senseo coffee machine?
Decalcifying your Senseo coffee maker is a procedure that has several benefits, among which are the following:
- You extend the useful life of your coffee maker.
- You ensure that the coffee and the dosage (volume of coffee) you have chosen are always correct.
- The preparation of coffee is less noisy.
- You guarantee all the intensity and aroma of your coffee.
- Descaling ideal for extending the life of your machine
- Protects your system against the accumulation of limescale
- Preserves the aromas of coffee in everyday life
- Allows you to maintain an optimal temperature to make a delicious coffee
- Solution Activator and therefore from Philips
If you are not sure how to descale your Senseo coffee maker, follow this tutorial step by step, and you will clear all the doubts. The instructions are essential for all models of Senseo coffee machines. From this moment on, decalcifying Senseo coffee machines will have no secret here. Pay attention:
What do I need to decalcify my Senseo coffee maker?
Before decalcifying a Senseo coffee maker, you must make sure you have the following items or products on hand:
- Senseo Descaler or similar descaling agent (preferably based on citric acid).
- A container large enough to collect the remains of the decalcification.
- The dosage holder (you will have to turn on the coffee maker as if you were going to prepare a drink).
- One dose, preferably used.
- Philips Senseo Coffee Descaler.
How often do I decalcify my Senseo coffee maker?
The frequency of decalcifying a Senseo coffee maker depends above all on the use we make of it. Under normal conditions of use (let’s suppose we prepare one coffee a day with our coffee maker), we must descale our Senseo coffee maker once every three months, approximately.
This frequency should be increased or decreased if you use your coffeemaker much more or much less than usual. In any case, the manufacturers recommend not to decalcify the Senseo coffee machine more than six times a year.
How to descale Senseo step by step
The process to decalcify a Senseo coffee maker takes approximately one hour, consists of the following necessary steps.
- The first thing you have to do is fill the water tank (one litre will be enough) and dissolve the contents of our Senseo descaler in it. Keep in mind that you should never exceed the MAX level indicated in your deposit.
- Turn on your Senseo coffee maker and wait until the indicator light stops flashing.
- Insert the single-cup dosage holder into the coffee maker and close the lid. We recommend that you use a used dose for this process.
- Place the container under the coffee spout. Remember that it must be quite extensive, more or less a litre and a half of capacity.
- Start the coffee machine by pressing the two-cup button.
- Please wait until the process is finished and repeat it until the water tank is completely emptied with the mixture descale.
- When finished, remember to empty the tank well, rinse it and clean it as often as necessary. The descaling mixture is toxic, and no residue should remain in the tank. If necessary, rinse the entire machine twice.
- Finally, clean and rinse the dosage holder thoroughly.