Cuisinart is a premium brand of household appliances with more than 40 years of experience in the market. Their quality is so high that they are among the few brands worldwide to offer a 3-year guarantee on many of their coffee machines. Every product they manufacture is subjected to demanding quality controls to guarantee its correct functioning, especially the coffee machines.
For many years, this American brand has concentrated on programmable drip coffee machines and classic espresso machines. Still, recently they have been focusing on bean-to-cup and K-cup coffee machines. Likewise, these new coffee machines are of high quality, as with the brand’s signature automatic drip coffee machines.
However, this high quality of Cuisinart coffee machines does not mean that they are exempt from problems in their operation. We have prepared this article to find the most common issues you can face with a Cuisinart coffee machine simple solutions to them.
Before going into detail, we also recommend that you check the user manual for Cuisinart coffee makers; perhaps you will find the solution to your coffee maker’s problem there.
- 1 How to clean a Cuisinart coffee machine
- 2 How to descale a Cuisinart coffee machine
- 3 My Cuisinart coffee machine is leaking
- 4 How do I set the clock on my Cuisinart coffee machine?
- 5 How to set the timer on a Cuisinart programmable coffee machine
- 6 My Cuisinart coffee maker is not brewing coffee
- 7 My Cuisinart coffee machine does not turn on
How to clean a Cuisinart coffee machine
Cleaning your coffee machine is essential if you want to obtain good quality coffee. In addition, many problems arise from blockages due to a lack of proper cleaning. If you don’t know how to clean your coffee maker properly, follow these simple steps, and it will be as good as new; you will only need dishwasher soap:
- First make sure you turn off and unplug the coffee maker. If you have just used it to make coffee, you should wait at least 30 minutes for the machine to cool down.
- Carefully remove the carafe; then remove the filter by lifting or sliding it off, as appropriate. If you have a model with an integrated grinder, remove the basket as well. Some models may have a removable lid on the tank that you can remove as well.
- In a small bowl, stir the dishwasher soap with a little warm water, dip a soft cloth into this mixture and carefully rub each of the parts you removed from the coffee machine until all traces of impurities are gone. Then rinse the parts thoroughly with plenty of clean water and leave them to air dry.
- Clean the body of the brewer. While the parts you washed are drying, use a damp cloth to clean the rest of the brewer, including the area underneath where the filter basket is placed.
- If you have a Cuisinart with an integrated coffee grinder, be careful not to splash water into the grinder motor when cleaning. Use only a damp cloth to avoid damage.
- Wipe the area where the carafe is placed with a damp cloth and a little dishwashing soap until all stubborn coffee stains are removed. Rinse the cloth and wipe the hotplate again until all soap residue is removed.
- Once you have cleaned all parts of the coffee machine and they are completely dry, you can put them back in place.
How to descale a Cuisinart coffee machine
The descaling process is an essential part of cleaning your coffee machine, as water can cause limescale to build up inside the coffee machine, causing it to fail over time. You can fight the calcification of your coffee machine, either with a ready-made solution or with a simple vinegar preparation, as we show you below:
- Empty the reservoir.
- Disable the Auto Off and Off Time.
- Remove the carbon filter.
- Making sure there is no capsule un the brewing chamber, fill the reservoir with 20 Oz. of white vinegar, plus 40 Oz. of water.
- Place a large mug on the drip tray. Press and hold the “hot water and rinse” buttons to strart the descale process. Discard contents of mug.
- Repeat step 4 until add water is displayed on the control panel.
- Rinse the water reservoir thoroughly and fill with fresh water.
- Run another hot water cycle. Discard contents of large mug.
- Repeat hot water process until “add water” is displayed on the control panel.
- You may need to perform additional hot water cycles if you detect any residual vinegar taste.
Note: repeat the descaling procedure above if descale is still displayed on the control panel after completing the process.
My Cuisinart coffee machine is leaking
If your Cuisinart coffee machine is leaking from the base of the coffee machine, it is most likely that one of the hoses through which the water circulates is loose or broken. In most cases, the hoses connected to the heating element have deteriorated due to sudden temperature changes, and water is leaking.
You’ll need needle-nose pliers, CR-VT10 safety Torx screwdriver, size
three precision flat-blade screwdriver, cordless drill, drill bits, wire cutters, .312 ID x .472 high-temperature silicone tubing (optional)
- Turn off and unplug brewer.
- Make sure the water tank is completely empty.
- Lay the brewer down so that you can access the screws on the bottom of the brewer, we want to remove the bottom plate.
- Using a safety torx screwdriver (CR-VT10), remove the 4 bottom screws. Once all the screws are removed, you may need to slide a flathead screwdriver up the seam to remove the bottom cover.
- You must now find the location of the leak. Some people have discovered a leak in the aluminium heating element and rubber tubing, but one of the main causes of leaks in Cuisinart coffee makers is definitely damage to the hoses, so check the openings in them very carefully.
- Once you have located the broken hose, tighten the hose clamp and push it back onto the heating element.
- Remove the end of the heating element from the cracked hose. If the crack is right at the end of the hose where it connects to the heating element, you may not need to replace the hose, just cut off the damaged end, otherwise you will need to buy a new one.
- Reinstall the hose back onto the heating element and reinstall the hose clamp.
- Reinstall the bottom cover.
Note: If this is not the problem, you need to dig a little deeper and check both the water pump and the heating element and the valves in the pipework. Of course, we assume you have checked the water tank, right? An incorrectly positioned tank or a missing part at the connection to the brewer could also cause the dripping.
How do I set the clock on my Cuisinart coffee machine?
If you have a Cuisinart programmable or drip coffee maker, you will have noticed that this type of machine has a clock on the front, where you will also find all the buttons and knobs for each function, just above the glass carafe.
To set up the clock, follow the guidelines below:
- Plug in and switch on the coffee machine.
- Turn the largest function knob to the clock position.
- Press the “time” function button and do not release it as the numbers on the clock advance. Watch the LCD display and when it is approaching the correct time, release the button and press it again several times until the correct number appears. If the time you set advances past 12 o’clock, PM mode will be activated on the display.
- Set the minutes on the clock in the same way as you set the hour, only this time you will have to press the button for the “minutes” function and not “hour”.
- Turn the knob in the direction of any other function, press another button or simply wait 5 seconds without pressing any button, so that the time on the LCD stops flashing and is fixed.
How to set the timer on a Cuisinart programmable coffee machine
Cuisinart is a brand that has a variety of coffee systems such as single-serve coffee machines, espresso machines, and programmable coffee systems. If you have a Cuisinart programmable coffee machine, here is a simple way to set the timer:
- You must make sure that the coffee machine has the correct time. If you notice, when you switch on the machine, 12:00 appears as the default time and you must change it to the current time. In the previous section we show you step by step how to change the time on your coffee machine.
- Before continuing, it is necessary to leave the time setting function. This can be done by pressing any other function button, or by leaving the buttons untouched, after 5 seconds the time will be set.
- Now set the programme time. Press the programme button until the green light comes on and the LCD display illuminates. Then press the hour button until the desired time is reached and do the same with the minute button.
- Exit the program time mode by pressing the program set button again or by pressing any other function button except the hours and minutes buttons; you can also wait 5 seconds without pressing any button and automatically the program mode will end and your programmed time will be set.
My Cuisinart coffee maker is not brewing coffee
If your Cuisinart coffee maker is not brewing coffee, you may want to try a few techniques to fix the problem. Follow the instructions below:
- Verify that the brewer is connected to a good power source.
- Remove the lid of the water tank and check that you have put in the amount of water needed for the coffee you want to brew.
- Open the door where the filter basket goes and make sure it is securely in place. Also check that it is completely clean, to avoid blockages.
- Select the “Brew” or “Start” function and wait a few minutes for the machine to start brewing coffee.
My Cuisinart coffee machine does not turn on
There can be several reasons why your Cuisinart coffee machine stops working, but the problem may have a simple solution in some cases. So before you call for service, check the following guidelines that could bring your machine back to life:
- Check that the water tank has enough water in it, the coffee maker will not work with a dry tank, and trying to make coffee in these conditions could damage the machine.
- Make sure that the power cord is securely plugged into the outlet and that it is also free of damage or defects. If you find damage to the cord, for safety reasons, we recommend that you do not use the machine until it has been repaired.
- Press the power button located on the front of the brewer. The red light should illuminate to indicate that the machine is working.
- Turn the function knob on your brewer to the “brew” mode. Note that if the function knob is set to “Auto On”, the brewer will only brew coffee at the programmed time.