Coffee has multiple uses beyond the food industry and gastronomy. It is used as an ingredient in a multitude of areas, and one of the most controversial is the use of coffee on the hair. Does it help strengthen it? Can we use it in dyes? In this article, we are going to investigate this issue, and we are going to offer you all the answers we can find about it.
Coffee for your hair: how to use it
If you’re not sure how to use coffee for your hair, let’s start by reviewing this concept.
A coffee hair treatment usually consists of a coffee rinse (a couple of cups of black coffee are enough) followed by another apple vinegar rinse that serves to cool and settle the original dark colour of the coffee. So only plain coffee is used, as you would prepare it if you were going to drink it.
Another option is coffee oil for hair, but that is a different product that we will talk about in another section of this article.
The coffee hair mask only serves to enhance the colour of brown hair or dark chestnut. It cannot be used on light hair.
How to use coffee for hair: step by step
To prepare the right coffee treatment for your hair, it is essential to know how to make it. Here it is:
- Prepare two cups of strong coffee (intense, not too watery).
- Let them cool and don’t add any other ingredients: no sugar, no more water, nothing. Just let the first coffee cool.
- Wash your hair with your regular shampoo.
- Before rinsing with water, pour two cups of coffee on your hair.
- We suggest that during this step, you turn your head upside down and try to pick up the falling coffee with another container. This way, you will be able to reuse it.
- Repeat this process several times to make the result more intense.
- When you have applied the coffee on your hair, you must massage it well with your hands so that the coffee is well distributed. You should dedicate more time to this step the longer your hair is.
- Now let it rest and wait for 30 minutes.
- Rinse with water and rewash it with shampoo (this is mainly to avoid the smell of coffee on your head).
Hair coffee treatment: Benefits
The benefits of coffee for hair can be summarized in the following list:
- As it is a 100% natural component, it is a product that does not damage your hair or alter it in any way. If it doesn’t work as you expect, you rinse, wash thoroughly, and there is no trace of the process.
- It naturally darkens hair, conceals grey hairs or enhances their dark tones. Coffee as a hair dye has been a remedy for centuries.
- Coffee hair treatments are ideal for dry hair. They leave it soft and shiny.
- It is an excellent skincare ingredient, so its application on the scalp also has positive effects.
Using coffee to darken the hair: the test
If you want to know the results of using coffee to dye grey hair, in this video, you can see a user who tries it and shows you the result:
Shampoo with coffee and cinnamon for hair
Coffee hair shampoo is one of the most common techniques to enjoy the benefits of this ingredient in our hair. In this case, we review how to use cinnamon and coffee for hair growth. Take note of the ingredients:
- One cup of regular shampoo.
- Three tablespoons of ground coffee.
- Half a spoonful of cinnamon.
To make your homemade coffee shampoo, mix the coffee with the shampoo until you get a homogeneous paste. If necessary, add half a cup of hot water to make the coffee blend better. Only at the end of the mixture add the cinnamon.
You must let your coffee shampoo rest for at least 24 hours before using it.
Is coffee good for curly hair?
Yes, of course. Hair treatments with the coffee can be applied on any type of hair, both straight and curly, wet or dry. Whatever you want. The only restriction, as we have already pointed out, is to use coffee only on dark hair, not on blond or very light hair.
How to make coffee oil for hair
In addition to using standard coffee cups to darken your hair, you can also use coffee oil, which we will elaborate in a handmade way following these simple steps:
- We take a glass container, jar or jar, which can be hermetically sealed.
- We pour the coffee and the oil in a proportion more or less of 50% each ingredient.
- Shake the mixture well once a day, and let it macerate for a month. It is crucial to shake the bottle at least once a day, don’t forget!
- When the four weeks or the month of rigour have passed, we strain the mixture with a cloth filter, very fine (or with a cloth), and you keep the result in a container from which you can apply your coffee oil comfortably.
Hair coffee oil is applied just like any other industrial oil you buy in stores. It is suitable for hair growth, and the idea is to use it to the root and then extend it, through massages, to the ends. Do not put a large amount, because it can leave your hair greasy. It is better to go little by little.