Cecotec’s Cumbia line of coffee machines has experienced tremendous growth in recent years. The number of models in households is constantly growing and the greater the number of coffee machines, the greater the number of breakdowns, issues and doubts about their long-term operation.
Due to this great demand for information and documents to solve problems with Cecotec coffee machines, we have created this article where we intend to answer all these questions from users. Here you can find simple solutions to all kinds of problems and doubts for these fantastic coffee machines.
- 1 My Cecotec coffee machine does not work
- 2 The Cecotec coffee machine does not heat
- 3 No water comes out of my Cecotec coffee machine
- 4 The steam system is not working
- 5 No coffee comes out of my Cecotec coffee machine
- 6 What if no milk comes out?
- 7 Yellow (orange or amber) light on Cecotec coffee machines
- 8 How to clean my Cecotec coffee machine correctly
- 9 Starting with my new Cecotec: First use and recommendations
- 10 Cecotec coffee machine: Error 3
My Cecotec coffee machine does not work
Let’s start with a classic problem common to many manufacturers: Your Cecotec coffee machine won’t turn on? The most likely cause of your Cecotec coffee maker not working (or even turning on) could be a blown fuse or a faulty capacitor.
Fortunately, capacitors are fairly cheap and easy to find online or in shops. However, the task of dismantling the coffee machine, locating the problem and replacing the faulty component will not be so easy.
There are many videos on Youtube that deal with the issue of how to change a fuse or capacitor in a coffee maker or any other appliance, as this fault is not exclusive to coffee makers. Here is an example:
- Here is a link to eBay where you can buy the thermal fuses shown in the video in a pack of 10 units for a price of 6.79 dollars.
- In this other Amazon link, you can find the same fuses for 7.99 pounds.
Of course, this is much more likely and logical to happen to you with an old, widely used coffee machine. If your Cecotec does not turn on and is a new model, it is already more worrying (But the solution we propose is the same).
The Cecotec coffee machine does not heat
When you notice that your Cecotec coffee machine does not heat the water, and therefore prepares cold or lukewarm coffees, there are three separate cases to consider:
- The first reason is that the heating element, or thermoblock, has not had time to heat up the water completely. This could happen in very rare cases, because we have prepared the coffee too quickly, without giving the water time to heat up, resulting in a lukewarm coffee.
- The second and more likely case is that there is a large accumulation of residues and sediments in the thermoblock. When this happens day by day, we get colder coffees until we can’t heat up at all. To solve this problem, the coffee machine must be descaled.
- Thirdly, there may be a much more serious circumstance: there may be a fault in the heating system of our machine. There is nothing we can do except repair or replace it. In most cases, it will be enough to replace the damaged part, which, as we have said, will be the Thermoblock that heats the water or the thermostat that controls the temperature.
No water comes out of my Cecotec coffee machine
The first step is to check that the water reservoir has enough water in it and is properly connected to the machine. Yes, the first thing is to check the basics, just in case.
The second step is to check the pressure pump (if we are talking about espresso machines). A pressure failure means that water does not flow from the tank to the boiler, or from the boiler to the coffee group. An ulka pump is not too expensive (£15 – £20), but the technical service charges for repair and labour, which will not be cheap.
The third step, if the pressure is correct and your Cecotec coffee machine pumps correctly, the fact that no water is coming out may be due to a leak or a break in one of the internal circuits through which it should circulate. Here, again, it will be time for repairs.
Finding ulka pumps is very easy. Once you open the machine, write down the characteristics of the pump that the machine uses and Google it. There will be hundreds of results! Here are links to Amazon and eBay.
The steam system is not working
If your Cecotec coffee machine does not emit steam, the cause may be due to several reasons:
- The problem is in the steam wand itself. Sometimes, with use, it gets dirty or clogged with milk, so make sure you clean it well with a needle or thin solid object (that does not break inside).
- Another cause may be a lack of water supply (remember that espresso machines use water for both the coffee and the frother). If this is the problem, review what we said in the previous section on water supply problems in Cecotec coffee machines.
- Finally, it could be caused by a build-up of scale or limescale in the internal pipes. In this case, descaling would be the most immediate solution.
No coffee comes out of my Cecotec coffee machine
Sometimes it can happen that your Cecotec coffee machine does not serve coffee, only water. In other words, everything seems to work fine, but the result in your cup is not the colour or taste you expect. This is a problem that has been detected in automatic machines (Power Matic-Ccino model), and the reason is usually a clogging in the ground coffee inlet:
Coffee beans are stored in a container in the coffee machine, but ground coffee is not, only the exact amount for the selected beverage is ground. This freshly ground coffee is used immediately. Therefore, if for any reason more coffee is ground than is needed, a certain amount may remain in the way unused, and over time it will become compacted or solidified.
There are several reasons for this: heat, humidity or unusually extreme temperatures. Remember that this is a direct inlet for the coffee, not a conduit prepared for storage.
If this duct becomes clogged, the ground coffee will not pass through. The solution, in this case, is simple: unblock this duct with an elongated object or a coffee brush. And the prevention is even simpler: never pour in more ground coffee than the manufacturer recommends.
What if no milk comes out?
Suppose your Cecotec coffee machine does not dispense milk. In this case, this is a problem only with the Instant-Ccino or Power Matic-Ccino models (versions 7000 onwards), which are the only ones with an additional frothing tank.
There can be two reasons why the milk does not come out of the Cecotec coffee machine:
1- The coffee machine does not extract the milk from the tank
This is not usually a fault, but a problem with the adjustment or connection of components. If your Cecotec coffee machine does not take milk from the tank, check in this order:
- That there is enough milk in the tank (this is obvious, but it is the first thing to check).
- That the milk tank is properly closed.
- That the tube is correctly positioned (at both ends: both to the milk tank and to the coffee machine).
- That the cap is correctly positioned on the other spout (remember that there are two ends from which milk can come out).
2- The coffe machine takes the milk, but no froth comes out of the steamer
In other words, the coffee maker takes the milk from the tank but then does not emulsify it well. It is usually not a coffee machine failure but a wrong setting.
The Power Matic-Ccino model has a dial that regulates the density of the emulsion, or in other words, the amount of air injected into the milk. If we have this setting too low, it is possible that the result is not different from normal milk, and then it seems to us that no milk froth is coming out of our Cecotec coffee machine.
Yellow (orange or amber) light on Cecotec coffee machines
Like many other manufacturers and types of coffee machines, the yellow light on a Cecotec coffee maker (or orange, depending on how you look at it) is a warning of decalcification. It means that we must start a cycle to descale the machine and clean it well inside.
How to clean my Cecotec coffee machine correctly
As with any coffee machine, if you want it to last for many years and enjoy hundreds of coffees without losing quality in taste, you should follow the following basic cleaning steps (time needed: 30 minutes):
This process should be carried out frequently for all models, although the frequency will depend on the hardness of the water in your area. The recommended frequency is 3 to 6 months.
- Clean the coffee grounds container and the coffee group.
Both elements can accumulate ground coffee residue during the brewing process. In the first case it is obvious, but in the second case not so much. Clean them thoroughly every few weeks, because ground coffee can solidify over time.
- Emptying the water tray
In the super-automatic machines (Power Matic-Ccino model), there are internal cleaning programmes that run automatically… and waste water. It is advisable to be aware of this and empty it so that it does not overflow unexpectedly and spoil everything.
- Clean the accessories with soap and water
The steam wand, the milk tank and, in general, any removable element of any model, although in theory they can be put in the dishwasher, will always last longer if you clean them gently by hand with a damp cloth.
Starting with my new Cecotec: First use and recommendations
If you are an experienced user and have had several machines in your hands, you can probably skip this step. But if this is your first coffee machine, the first use is a procedure that you should always take care of. It does not cost anything to complete the following steps:
- Fill the water tank to the top (never exceed the limit).
- Make sure the tank is properly closed and fitted.
- Press the power button so that the water starts to reach the boiler and can be heated.
- If your machine has a steamer, activate it to release some hot water and clean the internal pipes. You can use this hot water for infusions, cleaning… don’t waste it.
NOTE: the steps for the first use of your Cecotec coffee machine may vary according to the specific characteristics of each model. In case of doubt, always consult the relevant Cecotec user manual to be sure.
Cecotec coffee machine: Error 3
Many household appliances, including Cumbia Cecotec coffee machines, have numerical error codes which indicate various types of malfunction in the operation of the coffee machine. The problem is that these error codes are incomprehensibly not explained in the operating instructions.
The error code 3 on Cecotec coffee machines (err-3) is one of the most frequent codes on the Power Matic-Ccino model (logical, as almost none of the others have a display to inform about these things). And it is usually related to a jam or bad cleaning of the grinder.
You may get the err-3 when you finish using the coffee machine, and then you turn it off, and the next time you can make a normal coffee again. But beware: this does not mean that the problem has been solved. The grinder will still be stuck, and what you need to do is clean it. Here is a video from Cecotec (Spanish language) that explains how:
This has been our compilation of top tips and solutions for Cecotec coffee machines. It is impossible to reflect all user problems, but we have at least tried to provide as comprehensive and general a list as possible. If you don’t find the actual solution to your Cecotec coffee machine problem here, at least you will have a good starting point with references to research on your own.