In the world of tea infusers there are options for all tastes, but undoubtedly one of the most curious and elegant are the well-known tea eggs, more technically known as tea infuser balls.
What is a tea infuser ball? Well, the name itself indicates it: it is a spherical, or more precisely oval-shaped container, which has several external holes and is used to put the tea leaves inside and infuse them in the water.
The behaviour of the ball tea infusers is similar to that of the classic tea bags that we buy in the supermarket: we put a dose of tea inside and put it in our cup. The prefabricated tea bags have a string so that they can be removed after infusion, and the tea balls have a similar system (usually a chain or a long fixed handle).
The most important difference, of course, is that tea infuser eggs are reusable and can be used as many times as you like. We just have to take care to wash them properly and dry them before the next use.
The main characteristic of these tea eggs is that they are usually used individually, each egg in a cup. If we want to infuse a larger quantity of herbs or leaves (for example to put in a teapot) we would have to use other types of infusers, such as stainless steel tea filters.
Features of the tea infuser balls
- They are made of stainless steel.
- They should be washed in the dishwasher, especially those with very fine mesh.
- They are very economical.
- They take up little space if we have to store them for a long time without using them.
- On Amazon you can buy them separately or in sets of several units.
- They are usually used for individual tea services, because they are small. However, there are some packs of eggs in different sizes in combination:
- High Quality Material: Made of Premium quality 304 stainless steel,durable, anti-rust, and non-toxic. Healty and can provides long service time.
- Easy to use: Designed with a hook and long chain to clasp on tea cup or pot for easy retrieval and removal when the tea is done steeping.(NOT suitable for ground tea)
- Size and weight: Diameter:(3.5cm,13g)(5.5cm,20g)( 7cm,28g).Diameter of the mesh hole:1 mm.
- Easy to Clean:The Tea Strainer is really easy to clean and dishwasher safe. Open the ball infuser and rinse the two pieces under running water. Leave them to dry after cleaning for better maintenance.
- Enjoy your tea: The perfect way to enjoy a cup of fresh brew tea! Various sizes of tea ball filters applies to various cups,teapots,etc.You can also use it for daily cooking,Ideal for all kinds of...
Tea infuser balls with chain
Of course, the balls cannot be a perfect sphere, because then we would have to take them out of the water by hand after the infusion is finished, and that is not a good thing for anyone (apart from the fact that we would burn our fingers). For this reason we can divide tea infuser balls into two groups, depending on the extraction system they offer: those with a chain and those with a fixed handle.
In this first section we will deal with the former, also called chain tea strainers.
The chain of these infusers has a kind of hook at the end, which is used to attach it to the rim of our cup or glass and prevent it from falling into the tea, or dancing around loose on the table.
What should we take into account when buying a tea infuser egg with chain? Well, two things above all: that it closes perfectly, with no openings, and that its diameter is smaller than that of the cup or glass where we are going to use it. If the egg is not completely submerged in the container, the tea will not infuse well.
Its use is not a mystery, but in any case, here you can see a live demonstration:
Tea infuser balls with handle
The other format is the tea infuser balls with handle. In this case, the end of the infuser itself is the same or very similar to the chain infuser balls we have seen before, but the chain is replaced by an elongated fixed handle that is left in the air (upwards) while the tea infuses.
The advantages and disadvantages are the same as the chain ones, and there is no reason to prefer one or the other. Material, durability and price are practically identical. So our recommendation is simply that you choose the method that is most comfortable for you in practice.
Porcelain Tea Eggs
Ball tea infusers are almost always made of 304 stainless steel. It is by far their most common material. However, it is possible to find some exceptions like this porcelain tea infuser ball.
It is a tea infuser egg with a stainless steel chain, made entirely of white ceramic, 4.1 cm in diameter. There are not many more examples like this on the market, so if you are looking for a ceramic or porcelain tea egg, we can only recommend this one.
- Ceramic tea strainer with stainless steel chain for loose tea in mugs or cups, including storage bowl, Ø 4,1 cm
- UNIQUE DESIGN: Thanks to the flattened bottom, the tea egg stands without problems and cannot fall over. The stainless steel chain can be easily attached to cups and mugs thanks to the hook. The tea...
- BEST QUALITY: The tea egg is made of ceramic for easy cleaning by hand or in the dishwasher. The chain is made of 100% stainless steel. Both materials are reusable, well tolerated, environmentally...
- FULL TEA-AROMA: Thanks to its round shape, loose tea herbs can fully develop their aroma. Simply unscrew the lid, fill, screw down and fasten to the cup with the hook.
- INCLUSIVE CONTAINER: A drip tray is supplied with the tea egg. This prevents puddles of tea from forming. The small mug also provides safe protection for storing the tea strainer.
Tea eggs with container
And finally we have the tea infuser balls with tray, or with container. It is simply a small saucer or accessory tray that serves to place the egg on it when we take it out of the infusion, and thus prevent puddles of tea from forming on the table. It is true that we could use any object in the house for this purpose (such as the lid of a canning jar), but it is always better if it is integrated into our infuser.
- Oval tea infuser with base for brewing loose tea in cups or pots, Also suitable for herbs and spices to infuse sauces, soups and broths
- The screen halves can be taken apart by turning them slightly, Easy to fill, Easy to close
- Full aroma development due to small openings for brewing, With practical hook for hanging in a teapot or cup and stand for drip-free storage after use
- Durable, Meticulous and solid workmanship, Easy to clean, Stainless steal, Dishwasher safe
- Contents: 1x Westmark Teatime egg-shaped tea infuser, Oval, With stand, Dimensions: ø 4.3 x 5.3 cm, Weight: 23 grams, Material: stainless steal, Colour: Silver, 15772280