With the rise of Nespresso coffee machines, alternatives to the official Nespresso capsules, which are of excellent quality but which we already know are a bit expensive, are continually emerging on the market. There are three main options if we want to save money with our Nespresso coffee capsules:
- Use compatible Nespresso capsules, which are much cheaper than regular Nespresso capsules. Here you can find all types: from the most basic (and affordable) to gourmet capsules that in many cases equal or exceed the aroma of the official capsules, but also equal in price.
- Another possibility, cheaper but more laborious, is to refill Nespresso capsules.
- And, finally, the option we are going to talk about in today’s article: Using empty Nespresso capsules, or refillable Nespresso capsules.
These are currently the most popular on the market:
- UNIVERSAL - Our stainless stell coffee capsules compatible with Nespresso U, CitiZ (Not fit for D110 and Prodigio Krups ), Pixie, Nespresso Sage, krupps XN250, krupsxn100 / xn101, Krupps XN2120, Le...
- PREMIUM QUALITY - Made of food grade 304 stainless steel, over 10 years lifetime use. Safe to use, corrosion resistance, heat resistant, durable.
- EASY TO USE - Washable and reusable, very easy to clean with included cleaning brush and air drying it for next time use
- SEALING RUBBER RING - With seal o-ring for better seal and reduce the friction with the machine. Lightweight and reasonable size, very easy and convenient to use and store
- PACKAGE INCLUDED - 1 Resuable Coffee Capsule + 1 plastic spoon + 1 Clean Brush + Tamper
- Package includes 6 x reusable coffee capsule cup,2 x plastic spoon,2 x cleaning brush
- Being economical: each capsule can be used 50 times,this package can be used 600 times totally
- Environmentally friendly: made of food grade plastic PP
- This capsule is suitable for Nespresso Machine, including Inissia, Essenza, U, UMilk, Pixie, Pixie Clips, CitiZ, CitiZ&Milk, Prodigio, Prodigio&Milk, Lattissima+, Lattissima Touch, Lattissima Pro, etc
- By recycling it, you can enjoy a fantastic coffee taste, in addition to coffee powder, you can also use different granule, such as milk and chocolate powder, so as to make better use of your coffee...
- Made of food grade stainless steel, environmental-friendly, safe, healthy and durable to use
- It could be filled with about 4 to 5g coffee powder, but pay attention to grind which can neither be too coarse nor too fine
- Washable and reusable, very easy to clean with water and air drying it for next time use
- With this stainless steel coffee capsule, you can DIY your own coffee, choose the coffee grinds you like and help you save much money
- Lightweight and reasonable size, very easy and convenient to use and store. It is designed for all Nespresso machine
Attention: Most rechargeable capsules for Nespresso are compatible with the Inissia, Lattissima, U, Citiz and Pixie models, but not for the Essenza Mini or the Prodigio.
- 1 What is the Nespresso Rechargeable Capsules?
- 2 Reusable Nespresso capsules and single-use capsules
- 3 Where to buy refillable Nespresso capsules
- 4 Are refillable capsules good for Nespresso machines?
- 5 Nespresso refillable capsules: Opinions and conclusions
What is the Nespresso Rechargeable Capsules?
The reusable capsules for Nespresso are empty, generally made of plastic and silicone (there are also stainless-steel capsules, as we will see later), which have the same shape and dimensions as a regular Nespresso capsule.
They include a system that allows you to pour your favourite coffee blend into it, prepare the coffee in the coffee maker, clean it, and put it back for another use.
Of course, Stainless Steel Nespresso refillable capsules are more expensive and durable than plastic ones.
They are also known as compatible Nespresso refill capsules, but they should not be confused with standard compatible capsules. Compatible capsules are single-use and come filled with coffee. The refillable ones come empty, and we must refill them every time we go to make coffee.
As you can imagine, this type of refillable capsule or Nespresso refill capsule is, in the long run, much cheaper than any other. Its durability depends on the manufacturer and the brand, but we can often make between 50 and 100 cups of coffee with a single refillable Nespresso capsule.
In the following video, you can see in detail what they look like:
Reusable Nespresso capsules and single-use capsules
There are two main types of Nespresso refillable capsules on the market, and there is an essential difference between them: they can be reusable, or single-use.
Rechargeable capsules for Nespresso (non-refillable)
Single-use capsules behave similarly to standard capsules, but with the exception that they are disposable. You pour coffee into them, put them in the coffee maker, extract the espresso, and throw them away. They’re not reusable.
Reusable capsules for Nespresso (steel)
On the other hand, we have the capsules that, in addition to being rechargeable, are reusable. They are usually stainless steel Nespresso capsules, and we have to wash and dry them thoroughly after each use.
Theoretically, they can last a lifetime, although we cannot confirm this because they have not been on the market long enough for anyone to be able to refute it or have encountered serious durability problems with these capsules.
Where to buy refillable Nespresso capsules
It is not easy to know or discover sites that sell empty Nespresso capsules. They are hardly sold in physical stores, and almost all the activity is done on the Internet, so the most natural way, as it usually happens, is to buy your Nespresso refillable capsules at Amazon. You can also buy refillable Nespresso capsules at Aliexpress, but you know that Amazon is more widespread and has a bigger market.
Nespresso refillable capsules are usually sold in packs of 5-10 units for reusable capsules and several hundred for single-use capsules.
The manufacturer of empty Nespresso capsules usually specifies on its package, or in the accompanying information leaflet, how many use it recommends for each reusable capsule and what is the correct way to use them. We advise you to read these instructions carefully before using them for the first time, to avoid any major blunders.
Here is a summary of the best refillable capsules for Nespresso, with their prices and offers that are entirely up to date:
Are refillable capsules good for Nespresso machines?
Yes, they all follow the same system and carry all the guarantees. They are more than tested and proven before they go on the market, although some warn you that their refillable capsule only works in specific models of Nespresso coffee machines.
The thing is, you shouldn’t expect to get the same result with rechargeable capsules as with single-use capsules. Why? Because as you use them, and even though the manufacturer guarantees their durability, the refillable capsule may become deformed or deteriorated. You can never be sure that the next cup will be the same as the previous one.
If you have a brand new Nespresso coffee machine, we recommend that before you buy refillable capsules online, you make sure that they are compatible with your machine.
Nespresso refillable coffee machine capsules may have a slight resistance to being punctured (lowering the dispenser lever) the first few times. But this is something that softens over time and does not affect the performance of the machine as long as you do not force it or make a fool of it.
On the other hand, keep in mind that if you experience a malfunction or technical problem while using a refillable (or compatible) capsule, even if the capsule does not directly cause it, your brewer will not be covered by warranty.
Nespresso refillable capsules: Opinions and conclusions
Buying refillable capsules for Nespresso is an increasingly common practice among consumers. It forces brands to increase and improve their offer to accommodate so much demand. In the end, we are the beneficiaries.
In our opinion, this type of refillable capsule for Nespresso has two significant advantages: on the one hand, its price (obvious), and on the other hand the possibility of enjoying your favourite coffee blend, without being limited to what Nespresso offers you.
But they also have several clear disadvantages:
- You have to get a ground coffee or a quality blend right for the result to be optimal. You will also have to press it in the right way (no more and no less than recommended). In short, it takes away more responsibility from the user.
- Nespresso refillable capsules made of aluminium or plastic (those not made of steel) can become deformed and deteriorate over time.
- And finally: having to refill the capsule with coffee every time you go to enjoy one loses the speed, immediacy and cleanliness of capsule systems.
Therefore, some say that it is better to forget about the capsules and prepare the espresso with a manual espresso machine, one of those of all times. Well, there’s no accounting for taste. We have already given you as much information as possible, and now it is up to you to decide.
- ☕【Harmless to Your Machine】SealPod is a Patented Designed Capsule and 100% harmless to your Nespresso Machines. Most Compatible Reusable Capsule in the market for Nespresso OriginalLine...
- ☕【Prepare It & Store It】No time to be filling your own coffee in the rush of a morning? We got your back! With SealPod innovative Fresh Covers, you can pre-fill your capsules in advance and...
- ☕【Your Coffee, Your Choice】Wonder what some of the Single Origin coffee might taste like in your Nespresso Machine? Why not try them all and see which one is your favourite? SealPod gives you...
- ☕【Less Waste, More Life】SealPod capsule is made with stainless steel 304 and can last a lifetime. The more you use, the more you save. Reduce your environmental footprint with every cup and keep...
- ☕【Rich Crema, Perfect Extract】Afraid you will not get a creamy coffee? SealPod Espresso Lids are foil seals that enable pressure to build in the capsule during brewing, resulting in great crema...