Do all coffee capsules look the same to you? They look, but they’re not. There are different sizes and shapes, sometimes even different materials among the capsule formats, and many people wonder exactly how many grams of coffee a capsule has. And the answer is not unique or the same in every case.
First of all, capsule coffee makers primarily make espresso coffee, and if we stick to the standards of authentic Italian espresso, this drink must be made with 7 grams of coffee. It would be the reference quantity if we made our coffee with a regular espresso coffee maker and had to pour it ground into the filter holder.
But, as we shall see, we do not always find this amount in the capsules. It’s usually less. Let’s review how much a coffee capsule weighs depending on its format, and we’ll start with the most popular ones.
How many grams does a Dolce Gusto capsule weigh?
If you want to know how much a Dolce Gusto coffee capsule weighs, look at the reference on the packages. It is usually the total weight of the box, and you only have to divide it by the number of single doses (usually 16). Each Dolce Gusto capsule contains between 5 and 6 grams of coffee, both official and compatible.
The exceptions are the intense espressos (and similar) that can reach up to 8 grams.
- Original Nescafe Dolce Gusto Coffee, Tea, Chocolate Pods - 37 Flavours To Choose From
- FREE UK Delivery
- Pick Any 3 Blends Of Your Choice
- Fresh Stock With Long Best Before Dates - Plenty Of Time To Drink Your Coffee
- Full Range Including All Types Of Coffees, Lattes, Teas, Hot Chocolates
How many grams does a Nespresso coffee capsule weigh?
All Nespresso capsules are made of coffee (there are no capsules of other beverages, as is the case with other formats), but the amount of coffee varies according to the speciality. For example, varieties such as the Lungo espresso (lighter) contain 5.5 grams of coffee, and the more concentrated espresso capsules can hold up to 7 grams of product inside.
Some varieties found in other Nespresso compatible capsule brands, such as L’Or, contain 5.2 grams of coffee in each single dose. So how many grams does a Nespresso capsule have? It depends on the brand and especially on the speciality.
- Mixed Taster Pack with our entire selection of coffee pods. 9 different varieties. 100 coffee capsules
- With both Fairtrade and organic coffees. See the variants on the pictures.
- Voted "Best In Test" in different European newspapers & magazines
- 100% compatible with all Original Line Nespresso machines. Not compatible with Nespresso Vertuo machines.
- Capsules are easily recycled along with other plastics.
How many grams of coffee does a Tassimo capsule have?
Similar to Dolce Gusto, around 6 or 6.5 grams for the “normal” varieties and up to 8 grams per capsule that we find in specialities such as Lungo espresso.
How much does a single-dose ESE capsule weigh?
ESE pods (paper bags) usually contain 7 grams of ground coffee, precisely because they are used to make espresso. E.S.E. stands for Easy Serving Espresso. We can find varieties with 6.75 grams of coffee, but the average amount does not deviate much from those seven that we have mentioned.
The soft pods, or pads, are slightly larger and therefore carry more coffee between 7 and 9 grams. With them a somewhat less concentrated coffee is produced (with a higher amount of water), and consequently they are longer. Here are some examples:
- VALUE ★ 100 ESE Espresso paper coffee pods (100 servings). 44 mm / 7 grams of roasted and ground espresso per serving. IMPORTANT: these are ESE coffee paper pods, NOT coffee bags
- VARIETY ★ This bundle contains a selection of 2 premium blends (50 Intenso Napoletano, 50 Cremoso Top Espresso)
- QUALITY ★ Barista Italiano analyzes, selects and tests the most precious coffee beans. The wisdom of artisan experience for an Italian roasting that makes our coffee unforgettable
- EMOTION ★ An outstanding and harmonious taste that any coffee lover will praise
- MADE IN ITALY ★ The unmistakable Italian taste is a recognized value and Barista Italiano offers it in its coffee. Passion for tradition that is renewed in the continuous research and challenge for...
- VALUE 🔱 50 ESE Espresso paper coffee pods (50 servings) - Extremely Strong Coffee - Highly Caffeinated Coffee - Low acidity with subtle notes of nutty chocolate
- DIABOLIC STRONG COFFEE 🔱 Both our characteristic blend of 100% Premium Robusta and our masterful roasting process offer you the additional kick for top performance and maximum creativity and...
- PREMIUM ROASTING 🔱 Our state-of-the-art roasting (in small quantities by hand) and packaging ensure that your coffee arrives fresh and delicious
- NATURALLY STRONG AND HIGHLY CAFFEINATED 🔱 No additives or flavor enhancers are used in the cultivation and subsequent refinement of the beans. The entire production process is completely...
- BLACK DONKEY COFFEE ROASTERS 🔱 Black Donkey coffee is carefully thought for coffee lovers from all walks of life. We only select high quality beans from Colombia, Brazil, Kenya, Ethiopia and India
- 100% natural coffee, roasted in Italy
- Compatible with 44 mm paper pods
- Made in Italy
- For great quality coffee