In recent years, the warning message against the poor (or non-existent) sustainability of traditional coffee capsules has become increasingly loud.
Plastic and aluminium, traditional components of these single-serve capsules, take many years to disappear from the environment, so with the unstoppable rise of coffee capsules, the problem of what to do with their waste has become increasingly important. The solution is to transform the system and use a new single-dose format: compostable coffee capsules.
Compostable or biodegradable capsules are the same, but not the same. We will go into this difference in more detail later on. When it comes to buying compostable coffee capsules, we have several options on the market. At first, there were not many, but little by little more brands are being added, and we fear that this trend will be unstoppable. The market demand endorses this.
These are some of the most popular and sold compostable and biodegradable coffee capsules in the market. This is just a slight preview; we will take a closer look at each brand later.
As for the systems, we currently find biodegradable capsules compatible with Dolce Gusto and biodegradable capsules for Nespresso. These are the two main formats on the market, so if you use other brands of capsules, you will not find -for now- biodegradable formulas.
Unfortunately, the Dolce Gusto coffee pods of the official Dolce Gusto brand do not offer this format at the moment. Neither do the Nespresso ones.
What are compostable coffee capsules?
Although the terms are often confused, compostable and biodegradable coffee capsules are not the same thing.
- Biodegradable capsules degrade in nature (they disappear on their own).
- The compostable capsules are converted into compost (fertilizer) in contact with the rest of the organic waste. Therefore you can throw them in the organic waste container. They are made with biodegradable inks and materials that do not pollute or generate any waste. 100% compostable coffee capsules must bear the OK Compost seal – issued by an independent body – as certification:
As a reference, he thinks that a biodegradable capsule can take between 1 and 3 months to disappear completely. Plastic ones will take about 500 years. Enough time to consider making a change in our consumption habits, right?
Similarly, compostable and biodegradable capsules usually use organic coffee, which comes from sustainable agriculture. Another option would be nonsense.
Below we’ll review the best brands of compostable coffee capsules. In time we hope to expand this section with more capsule manufacturers to join this initiative.
Eden Project compostable capsules
Eden Project is a brand of capsules that we have already talked about on our website and which was one of the first to include a range of compostables in its catalogue.
Eden Project´s compostable coffee capsules are made with ecovio, a biodegradable polymer that is certified for composting and will be used to grow plants once consumed.
The compostable Eden Project capsules are available in two varieties: an intense espresso and a decaffeinated one. There is not much to choose from but enough to get you started.
Blue Goose compostable pods
Blue Goose is another manufacturer that has made a strong commitment to biodegradable capsules, in this case, for Nespresso coffee machines. The Blue Goose compostable capsules for Nespresso stand out for the variety of their proposals, with different origins, blends and intensities:
- Ethiopian Yirgacheffe’s.
- Full-bodied Organic Peruvian.
- Well, balanced Lungo.
- Rich Swiss Water Decaf.
The slogan of the Blue Goose compostable coffee capsules is a declaration of intent: Follow the Blue Goose… We set out to create the ultimate coffee capsule experience without costing the Earth. For more information, here is their commercial presentation:
Happy Belly compostable capsules
Also highly sought after by consumers (partly dragged along by the fame of its coffee beans) are the Happy Belly biodegradable capsules. In this case, Happy Belly coffee capsules have five varieties: Ristretto Roast, Espresso Roast, Lungo Forte Roast and Ristretto Decaffeinato.
The typefaces and the casual presentation of the boxes stand out, each one containing 10 units, as is usually the case with Nespresso compatible ones.
These are the alternatives you have right now to buy your Happy Belly compostable capsules at Amazon:
Der-Franz compostable capsules
The Der-Franz are compostable capsules compatible with Nespresso. These coffee pods of 00% arabica, roasted, whole bean have intensity 4 of 5; roasting 3 of 5; acidity 2 of 5; the perfect blend for Espresso, Crema, Melange, Chocolate, Vanilla, Hazelnut, Colombia Single Origin or Crema Organic.
Compostable, biodegradable and refillable coffee capsules
Well, yes, he’s not going anymore. We have already talked about rechargeable capsules on our website. Still, almost all of them have the same drawback as normal capsules: the materials generate a waste that is difficult to dispose of in nature.
The solution is SelfCap, which has manufactured biodegradable capsules to fill with the mixture of coffee or infusions that you like.
Of course, refillable compostable capsules are more expensive than single-use capsules, but they quickly pay for themselves. The only drawback is that you give up the advantage of the immediacy and convenience of traditional capsules.
- ☕ 100% COMPOSTABLE - Made in Italy product with high quality raw materials. The BANDOLERO compatible capsules are packaged and processed in such a way as to guarantee the taste and maximum quality...
- ☕ ECO-SUSTAINABLE CULTIVATION - We produce our products starting only from excellent raw materials. Once processed to enhance their quality, they are enclosed in 100% natural, zero-impact Bioplastic...
- ☕ 100% MADE IN ITALY - "BANDOLERO" is born from the passion for Italian coffee. Each capsule and pod turns into a casket to store selected and controlled coffee blends. In the cup the coffee is...
- ☕ COMPOSITION - Kit Composed of 100 Compostable Capsules Compatible with NESPRESSO Coffee Machine divided into Masterbox of 10 Packaging Containing 10 Capsules, 70% Robusta 40% Arabica blend, Coffee...
- ☕ CUSTOMER SERVICE - Our Capsules have a Expiration Date of 24 Months from the Production Date, It is recommended to Store in a Cool and Dry Place, Away from Sources of Heat and Humidity. Our...