Name: TC 86505
Capacity: 1 litre
When talking about drip coffee machines, we usually distinguish between the basic range, the medium range, and the high range in this segment. In the latter group, we should include the Siemens TC86505, a filter coffee machine with all the qualities that define it in its own right as a top drip-coffee machine in the market. It is the top model and successor to the Siemens TC80104.
Like almost all large drip coffee machines, the Siemens TC86505 is much more popular in Central Europe – especially in Germany and the Netherlands – than in other countries, where espresso machines are more popular and where the most common drip or filter coffee machines are those in the economy range.
The first thing we notice in this Siemens TC86505 is its layout, far from that of basic drip coffee makers. In this case, we find a quadrangular distribution with the water tank and the filter holder on the upper floor, and the carafe together with the control panel on the lower floor. In this respect, it reminds us of other top-of-the-range coffee machines such as the Melitta Aroma Elegance, or the MoccaMaster KBG741.
The carafe, by the way, is thermal and made of stainless steel. Stainless steel is also present in the rest of the external elements of the piece, giving the set a robustness and elegance that distinguish it from other conventional filter coffee machines.
Siemens TC86505: Programmable drip coffee machine
Another great virtue of the Siemens TC86505 is the possibility of programming it to prepare coffee when we are most interested. This is possible thanks to the timer and the small digital display on the control panel. All you have to do is set the hours and minutes (“h” button and “m” button) and press the Prog -Programming button to leave your drip coffee maker configured.
Before carrying out this operation, however, make sure that the water tank is full and that there is enough ground coffee in the filter.
The water tank of this Siemens TC86505 has a capacity of one litre, and is sufficient to prepare – when full – a maximum of 8 cups of normal-sized coffee. The advantage of having it separate from the set is that we can remove it for cleaning very comfortably, or refill it without having to lift any covers or avoid the hole in the filter holder, as is the case with the most basic drip coffee machines – which are also smaller.
We cannot conclude our analysis without mentioning the automatic descaling programme, a function more typical of espresso machines and which the Siemens TC86505 offers us to make the always tedious – but necessary – maintenance work easier.
Siemens TC86505: Main features
- Stainless steel housing.
- Pivoting filter holder. Access to the inside of the filter is easy.
- Compartment for storing excess cable.
- Water tank with a capacity of 1 litre.
- Transparent indicator of the water level remaining in the tank.
- Thermal carafe that keeps the temperature of the coffee intact once extracted.
- Integrated timer. The coffee maker can be programmed to start up to 24 hours in advance.
- The digital display works like clockwork.
- Automatic switch-off function when the coffee machine is not in use.
- Anti-drip safety system: dripping stops when the carafe is removed from its place.
- Automatic descaling system.
- On/off switch with indicator light.
- The length of the cable is 1 metre.
- Approximate weight: 3.1 kilograms.
- Dimensions: 25 x 26 x 35 centimetres.
- Power in operation: 1100 watts.
Advantages of the Siemens TC86505
- Which incorporates a thermal jug as standard.
- The widespread presence of stainless steel in the entire exterior casing of the coffee maker.
- The automatic anti-lime system, a very useful function not usually found in drip coffee machines.
- The timer function for programming the coffee machine and enjoying freshly brewed coffee at any time.
Disadvantages of the Siemens TC86505
- As is usual with drip coffee machines that use a thermal carafe, the capacity decreases slightly. In this case, from 1.25 litres we stay at 1 litre. In other words, from the usual 10-12 cups of coffee, this coffee maker only has 8.
- These coffee machines are much larger than conventional drip coffee machines.
Siemens TC86505: Videos
To complete our review here is a short but interesting video in which we can see this Siemens TC86505 in action:
Why buy a Siemens TC86505?
High-end drip coffee makers are a difficult segment to evaluate in the market, since as we mentioned at the beginning of this analysis, they are not exactly the most popular coffee makers among consumers in our country.
The quality of both the construction – stainless steel coating – and the performance catalogue of this Siemens TC86505 is indisputable. However, its price is in line with and far exceeds the barrier of 100-120 pounds, competitive? Well, it’s debatable.
Of course, users who know how to take advantage of the obvious virtues of Siemens TC86505 will have a safe and guaranteed investment. If you want to make your own litre or litre and a half of filter coffee every day, then maybe you’ll be happy with a normal 20 or 30-pound coffee maker.
And finally, in the chapter on alternatives we have to mention some models already discussed throughout this analysis: Melitta Aroma Elegance, Melitta Aroma Signature or the MoccaMaster KBG741. With a similar arrangement, the Bosch TKA8653 is also presented.