Name: KA 5979
Capacity: 220 ml
The Severin Espresso 800w, or what is the same, the Severin KA-5979 model, is one of the simplest and cheapest espresso machines in the market, and possibly, for this reason, it is also one of the most sold and popular.
It is a hydro pressure coffee machine, small in size and with a capacity of 3 or 4 cups of coffee. Its design, with a plastic casing and a sober black colour, focuses above all on eliminating any superfluous parts of the coffee maker (that is why it does not have a square shape or corners) so that it takes up as little space as possible in the kitchen.
On the other hand, another remarkable feature of this Severin KA-5979 coffee machine is that it has historically been present in the first places of Amazon’s espresso machines sales ranking, a guarantee for the users’ confidence. Why is the Severin Espresso 800w coffee maker so popular? Well, possibly because of its combination of basic but sufficient functionality, its extreme simplicity of use and an unbeatable price in the sector.
If you want to know more about the Severin KA-5979 hydro pressure coffee machine, read on to find out in detail its technical specifications.
Severin KA-5979: Main characteristics
Although it is one of the simplest and most basic coffee machines on the market, the Severin KA 5979 also includes a good list of features, such as those listed below:
- The pressure tank filters the water with approximately 3.5 bars of pressure.
- The capacity of the tank is approximately 220 ml (about three or four cups), and it includes a safety device.
- Power of the coffee machine: 800w.
- Includes a steamer to froth the milk for cappuccino and at the same time acts as a heater (ideal for preparing hot drinks).
- The nozzle of the steam tube can be removed for easy cleaning.
- Control mode: by means of a single switch that can be positioned for the preparation of espresso coffee or to start the milk frother.
- In the OFF position, the switch executes the pressure relief function.
- This Severin coffee maker includes a serving carafe with a cup scale.
- Both the plate and the drip tray are removable and easy to clean. You can see the removable tray in the last photo of this analysis.
- Packaged in 3 units. It includes a ladle for the coffee filter, a spoon for the ground coffee doses and an accessory to press the ground coffee.
- Approximate dimensions of the Severin KA 5979: 30 x 16 x 32 cms. (height x width x depth).
- Approximate weight: 2.2 kg
Advantages of the Severin espresso machine KA-5979
- Its size is very small. The Severin Espresso 800w coffee maker is undoubtedly one of the first options you should consider if you want to buy a coffee maker for a kitchen with little space. A great advantage of hydro pressure coffee makers.
- The milk heater accessory is very interesting (which makes us a quite nice milk froth by the way). It is not often that you find such things in a coffee machine of this price.
- Its price is unbeatable, just over £40 is an absolutely ridiculous amount as the espresso industry stands today. Quite a good value for money.
Disadvantages of the Severin espresso machine KA-5979
- The materials and finishes have plastic as the main protagonist, and are clearly not the strong point of this coffee maker. They do not give a sensation of solidity or robustness.
- The coffee comes out with little pressure (it is perfectly indicated in the specifications… about 3.5 bar) so you should not expect to get an espresso with all its cream on top from the Severin KA 5979. It is a hydro-pressure (or semi-express) coffee maker, with all that that entails.
Severin KA-5979: Videos
The best way to understand how a hydro pressure coffee machine like this Severin KA-5979 makes coffee is to take a closer look at the following video:
Why buy a Severin espresso machine KA-5979?
The Severin Espresso coffee machine 800w is ideal for the users who look for an espresso machine that doesn’t complicate their life; that is to say: that it is cheap, that it is fast, and that it is cleaned very easily. If you are looking for these three characteristics, the Severin KA-5979 fulfils them all.
This is not your coffee machine if you are looking for a machine to make perfect espressos, if you like very dense coffee foam (for that, you should look for coffee machines with pressurized filters, like the Saeco Estrosa, for example) or if you prefer to scratch your pocket more in search of a lot of details and extra features.
In the segment of steam pressure machines, the Sentik Espresso or the Jata CA704 are also good choices that have been popular for many years.