Name: Pico Baristo
Capacity: 1.8 litres
Saeco PicoBaristo is a Saeco automatic coffee machine that finds its closest reference in the Saeco Incanto model (HD8914). The numbering of both is very close, and the design of one is irretrievably reminiscent of the previous one. We don’t know what will happen in the future with the Incanto, but it is clear that the two machines are very close both in price and in functionality, but the Pico Baristo is just one step above.
Focusing now on this PicoBaristo, we must define it as an automatic of medium-high range, of 15 bars of pressure and 1.8 litres of capacity, with a very robust design in metallic tones and a control panel direct heir of the one already mentioned by Saeco Incanto. We will go on to describe each of its elements in the next section of this analysis.
In its interior we found an aluminum and stainless steel boiler, which the manufacturer defines as “of fast heating” (we do not know what he refers to since we have not found details about its technology, if indeed it introduced some remarkable newness).
We have pointed out at the beginning that there are two versions of this Saeco PicoBaristo for sale: the model HD8924, which has simply a capuccinatore or automatic foamer, or the HD8927, which also includes a special jug to store the milk and foam it on the spot. In any case, remember that these nomenclatures and numbers change over time. There are no more differences than that between the two models.
Other versions have been added later, such as the Saeco PicoBaristo Deluxe and some improvements such as the touch panel (not with button panel). You know that over the years, these machines are constantly being updated, and their vocabularies have evolved a lot to the point that the buyer can find 4 or 5 different references for the same machine.
Here is a summary of their prices:
The number of drinks that can be produced automatically with this Saeco PicoBaristo is up to 11. And as befits an automatic at this level, these eleven include cappuccino and lattes. This is a real treat for drink fans, who will have to put their glass or cup under the spout, press the corresponding button, and that’s it.
The Saeco PicoBaristo takes care of grinding the coffee, making the espresso, frothing the milk, serving everything in the right measure and in the right order in just a few seconds.
Would you like to see its components in a little more detail?
Saeco PicoBaristo: Philips models HD8924 and HD8927
Let’s start with the grinder, an indispensable element in any automatic coffee machine. This Saeco PicoBaristo has a conical grinder made of ceramic material, with ten levels or grinding thicknesses. It can store up to 250 grams of coffee.
Ceramic grinders, as you know, are much more resistant to heat and wear than metal grinders. When spinning at high speed, the grinding wheels can overheat and transmit foreign aromas to the coffee beans. With ceramic ones, this risk is avoided.
The control panel, as we have already said, retains the layout of that of the Saeco Incanto, with a digital display in the centre and six large buttons on the sides that bring together the most frequent automatic preparations (normal espresso, long espresso, creamy latte, milk foam, hot water and intensity selection).
Then there are other secondary buttons reserved for special preparations or for navigating through the coffee machine’s menus. All the buttons are provided with legends and icons that are intuitive enough to know what function they have without having to learn the instruction booklet by heart.
The professional steamer or capuccinatore is one of the great virtues of this coffee machine. It has a sleeve that we introduce in the container where we have the milk. The system extracts the milk from there and serves it in the form of foam in our cup. It is also possible to heat the milk or serve hot water to prepare great infusions.
The other great quality of this Saeco Pico Baristo lies in everything related to the treatment of the water inside the tank. Saeco is clear that a very high percentage of your drink is water and has decided to take care of the properties of the liquid element to the maximum.
To do this, it allows us to use AquaClean water filters (the tank is compatible, although they are not included with the coffee machine), like many other automatic machines. Still, it also adds various technological processes that are a real innovation.
Such is the guarantee that the descaling alarm on our Saeco PicoBaristo deactivates itself when the filter is active and only reactivates when the filter has been changed eight times.
For example, the new water circuit is much longer than in previous models, and this allows for more precise and rigorous purification. The water will reach the coffee group much cleaner, and therefore the result on our palate will be purer.
A micro-porous filter is also incorporated. An ion exchange technology that serves no other purpose than to remove the limescale from the water before it enters the coffee machine.
Saeco ensures that if the filter is changed every three months, our coffee machine will be free of limescale deposits for 5000 cups or preparations.
Rounding off this Saeco PicoBaristo are details such as the height-adjustable spout, the drip tray, automatic cleaning programmes, and the numerous configuration possibilities it offers for our coffee: 5 intensity levels, temperature selection, ten grinding thicknesses, size selection, what more could you ask for?
To finish the analysis, don’t forget to take a look at this comparison table from Amazon itself, where we can see face to face the main automatic coffee machines of the Saeco mid-range (neither the basic nor the premium automatic machines are present).
As you can see, the functional differences between all of them are minimal. You can find the analyses of each one on our own page dedicated to the Saeco brand or in our article dedicated to the complete range of Saeco automatic machines.
Saeco PicoBaristo: Main Characteristics
- 15 bar pressure pump.
- Aluminium and stainless steel rapid heating boiler.
- Integrated grinder with ceramic wheels and 10 levels to choose the thickness or fineness of the grinding.
- Coffee bean storage capacity: 250 grams.
- LCD digital display.
- We can use pre-ground coffee instead of coffee beans.
- We can select between 5 levels of intensity or dose of the coffee.
- Selection of size and temperature.
- Automatic preparation (by pressing a single button) of cappuccinos and latte macchiatos.
- Programmable memory system: saves the settings of your favourite coffee.
- On the HD8927 model, the milk tank has a capacity of 500 ml.
- Water tank removable from the top of the coffee maker with a capacity of 1.8 litres.
- Removable coffee group. Easy cleaning and maintenance.
- Compatible with AquaClean filters.
- Up to 5000 cups of coffee can be brewed without the need to start a decalcification cycle.
- Automatic decalcification warnings.
- Includes dosing spoon and cleaning brush for the grinder.
- Automatic duct cleaning system.
- Energy efficiency rating: A.
- Power. 1850 watts.
- Dimensions: 21 x 43 x 33 cms.
- Weight: 7.2 kilograms.
Advantages of the Saeco Pico Baristo
- The cappuccinatore system that allows you to automatically prepare (at the touch of a button) cappuccinos and latte macchiatos.
- The 5 intensity levels that can be selected for each coffee extracted with the coffee maker: from very mild to extra strong. It is impossible not to find the right grade you are looking for. Usually you can only choose between 2 or 3 levels or doses.
- It includes a lot of accessories, such as the measuring spoon, the water hardness test, or a special cleaning brush for the grinder. It is always appreciated.
- Great presence of stainless steel in both the internal components and the external body of the coffee maker.
Disadvantages of the Saeco PicoBaristo
- Such a deployment of conditions and features is not always known to all users. And the investment in a Saeco PicoBaristo is quite high. It is worth what it costs, but think about it if that is what you need.
- We need a large area to preheat the glasses and cups before serving.
- The price difference between the HD8924 and HD8927 models (with or without milk tank) seems excessive to us.
Saeco PicoBaristo: Videos
To open your mouth, the official commercial announcement of this Saeco coffee machine:
To complete our analysis, there is nothing better than seeing the coffee machine in action. Here is Saeco PicoBaristo preparing espresso and a latte:
And finally, a complete and very, very detailed review of the product:
Why buy a Saeco Pico Baristo?
The appearance on the European market of this Saeco PicoBaristo in 2015 left us somewhat surprised, as it is an automatic of such quality that it eclipses an earlier and very similar model (Saeco Incanto) that had been in the limelight for a few years.
Everything you can ask of an automatic coffee maker you will find in this Saeco PicoBaristo. We recommend it if you know how to take advantage of even the smallest detail of a machine of these characteristics and if your palate knows how to differentiate between a good espresso and an excellent one.
If you don’t reach that level, let’s be honest, the price of this coffee machine (between 700 and 800 £) may be too much to enjoy just some of its goodness. As always, you must make the decision.
It is also a coffee machine that solves the problems of calcification with great solvency if the water in your city has a high concentration of minerals.
If you want to evaluate other alternatives with similar qualities and above all that allow you to prepare cappuccinos and lattes at the touch of a button, we recommend the following: Delonghi ECAM 23.460 (a lower step, but sufficient), Bosch VeroAroma or of course, the already mentioned Saeco Incanto.