Capacity: 1.5 litres
The Saeco Intelia is one of the most popular and best-selling models worldwide in the automatic espresso machine segment. And in this article, we will explain why. Besides having the guarantee of the manufacturer Philips and the brand Saeco, two of the firms of reference in the sector, the Saeco Intelia is undoubtedly the flagship of the whole Saeco range of automatic espresso machines.
Its design is very robust, shocking and very solid, and perfectly matches the physical characteristics of a coffee machine that, let’s not forget, is big and heavy.
The luminous panel on its front stands out to see the indications when our Saeco Intelia is in use, surrounded by the control buttons. In the upper part, as it is traditional in the automatic coffee machines, we find both the grinder and the space to preheat cups and glasses.
NOTE: To get the most out of your Saeco Intelia, or if you don’t trust the grinder already integrated, you might want to buy a good grinder too. Don’t forget to visit our section of coffee grinders.
Buy Saeco Intelia: Colours and models
The Philips Saeco Intelia coffee maker is available in three models: the Philips HD8751, Philips HD8752, and Philips HD8753. All of them are available in only two colours: black and silver grey.
If we go a little deeper, we see that among the models mentioned, there are differences that should be explained so as not to confuse buyers.
The Saeco Intelia has two main versions, the HD8751 – which we could call the “normal” Intelia model – and the HD8753. The HD8753 models have the particularity that they include an additional tank to store fresh milk so that you can prepare cappuccinos or coffee with milk directly and in one step. Then there are the HD8752, which is still a more recent update of the 51, the normal model.
Now: within each of these versions, there are ranges. The most common among those still on the market are the /11 (more basic) and /95 (more advanced) versions. These last ones have better qualities, some extra details, stainless steel finishes.
We can explain this with an example: the HD8751/95 and HD8753/95 are high-end equivalent machines (/95). The difference between the two is that the 51 does not have a milk stand, and the 53 does. We have attached the links to the four models below for a better understanding:
- Intelia HD8751/11 (basic, without milk holder)
- Intelia HD8753/11 (basic, with milk holder)
- Intelia HD8751/95 (advanced, without milk support)
- Intelia HD8753/95 (advanced, with milk support)
As time goes by, these basic models are being updated, or new versions may emerge, such as the Intelia Deluxe, which is named after Philips HD8901. It is what it means to be one of the oldest coffee makers on the market!
Saeco Intelia: Main features
The Philips Saeco Intelia is the most popular and best-selling automatic espresso machine on the market. It, therefore, meets the highest expectations, and both Philips and Saeco pay attention to every detail of the Intelia. We will now explain the functions that make the Saeco Intelia a completely unique and different coffee machine:
- Automatic cleaning and decalcification: The Saeco Intelia automatically detects when it is necessary to remove deposits and lime residues and takes care of it without you having to move a finger. You are guaranteed the longevity of your coffee machine and the best coffee taste at all times
- 100% ceramic grinders: Forget about that unpleasant burning taste in your coffee! Saeco Intelia’s grinders are 100% ceramic and incorporate the highest quality and latest technology available. Saeco is aware that the grinding process is the most important to obtain a delicious coffee. The advantages with respect to the steel grinders are evident: more silent, more durable and they do not overheat (the origin of that feared burnt taste that sometimes remains when grinding the coffee).
- Pre-infusion system: What does this mean? It means that the coffee is slightly humidified before it goes through the infusion process. What is it used for? Well, to enhance the aroma of the coffee you use, to the maximum of its intensity. Does Saeco Intelia take care or not of all the details?
- Removable preparation circuits: All automatic espresso machines have an internal system of circuits and tubes that is in charge of preparing the coffee (logically in the manuals this is not necessary). It is important to keep it in perfect state, and for that the Saeco Intelia allows you to extract the complete system, rinse it or clean it thoroughly, and put it back in its place.
- Illuminated control panel: The Saeco Intelia includes a very clear visual interface where it uses three colours, red (attention), yellow (the brewer is getting ready) and green (the brewer is ready to use). You can also control all the functions and options of your Saeco Intelia through a fairly large (and therefore easy to see) LED panel. It is very easy to interact with the machine and change, for example, the temperature of your coffee, the waiting times, the decalcification cycles and much more. You will also find another button to determine the volume of your coffee (short or long espresso). You can see these details better in the photographs.
- Low consumption: The Saeco Intelia includes a standby mode to minimize energy consumption during the time the coffee machine is switched on but not used.
- Versatility: You can pour the coffee beans you like in its tank, so that the coffee maker grinds them and you can enjoy a freshly ground coffee. But if it’s more convenient for you, you can also find a compartment for pouring already ground coffee, and save that process. Why would you want to do that? There are many reasons: we have little time, or we are in a hurry, we like to leave the coffee ready the night before, we want to make decaf, we have children at home, and we want to avoid the noise of the grinders.
Technical specifications of the Saeco Intelia
- Automatic cleaning of the coffee circuit.
- Lime deposit removal cycle
- Adjustable coffee dispenser.
- Integrated steamer
- Removable preparation system for cleaning
- Option to set the coffee size: normal/long espresso
- Energy-saving: automatic standby mode
- Saeco Adaptation System (SAS): the coffee maker adjusts intelligently to adapt to your settings according to the different beans or coffees you use with it.
- Pump pressure: 15 bar.
- Integrated grinder with five levels or grinding thicknesses.
- Tank for the coffee grains, with capacity for 300 grams.
- Waste compartment capacity: 10 drinks approximately.
- Water tank capacity: 1.5 litres.
- Weight: 8 kilograms.
- Power: 1900 watts.
- Approximate dimensions of the product (not the box): 25.6 x 34 x 44 cms.
Advantages of the Saeco Intelia
- The customization options for this coffee maker are incredible. With just the press of a button, you can have the coffee you want at any time, made to measure and without depending on anyone. It takes some time to learn how to use it and configure all the possibilities well, but the result is well worth it.
- You can pour the bean directly and enjoy a freshly ground coffee, but if you want to leave it prepared or you are bothered by the noise, the Saeco Intelia also incorporates a tank to pour the already ground coffee and make the preparation from there, ideal for decaffeinated!
- You can set the level of grinding to your liking (finer, thicker).
- It’s very easy to define the cleaning and decalcification cycles, and the machine can perform them by itself when it touches.
- Size of the tanks, big: 1.5 litres of water and 300 grams of coffee beans.
Disadvantages of the Saeco Intelia
- The automatic cleaning and decalcification option, which is one pass, has a small drawback: it wastes a lot of water and stains the removable drip tray. It forces us to change the tank more often than we would like.
- Of course, it’s bulkier than a capsule coffee maker or another more conventional machine, so make sure you find a good place for it in your kitchen before you buy it.
Saeco Intelia: Videos
Here is a video that shows you all the controls and functions of the Saeco Intelia. It is a very exhaustive revision of the machine, and therefore we recommend seeing it slowly before buying it.
We also offer you this complete video review of the Intelia Evo model so that you can know first-hand all the options within the Intelia range:
Why buy a Saeco Intelia?
Because it is the most popular and best-selling automatic espresso machine on the market, objectively and leaving aside its price, we can say that the Philips Saeco Intelia is the best option in this segment of coffee makers. Don’t you think that’s enough reasons?
In the beginning, you can get confused with so many versions and models of the Intelia, but we hope our article has helped you to clear up doubts.
If you are interested in looking at other options, you also have an alternative within Saeco to the Saeco Intuita. Very similar, although perhaps externally, it has a slightly more sober design. The Saeco Syntia model is also very similar in performance, perhaps slightly lower than the Intelia but also with a better price.