Capacity: 1.7 litres
After several decades at the forefront of the automatic coffee machine sector worldwide, Saeco has completely redefined the concept of the bean to cup super-automatic coffee machine. And this revolution was brought about by the Saeco GranBaristo, a coffee machine that is more compact, more efficient, faster and with more possibilities than any of its predecessors. And of course, it is also more expensive.
The Saeco GranBaristo not only boasts of being at the top of the Saeco range but also pursues the ambitious objective of becoming the reference in the automatic industry. It is a coffee machine designed to satisfy the demands and tastes of the modern coffee consumer: many specialities, different extraction pressures, simplified maintenance to the maximum… let’s get to know it better because there is a lot of fabric to be cut here.
The Saeco GranBaristo coffee maker is an automatic coffee machine with 1900 watts, 15 bars of pressure and 1.7 litres of capacity. Amongst all its functions, we highlight as its greatest virtue the wide range of preparations and drinks it offers us: up to 18 different preparations that are served directly into our cup by simply pressing a button and waiting a few seconds. Hard to ask for more.
Now let’s talk about the grinder, an indispensable element in any automatic coffee machine that is appreciated, and which in this case, responds perfectly. The Saeco GranBaristo has a fairly large coffee grinder, with a capacity of 270 grams of coffee beans, which can also be adjusted to five different levels or thicknesses.
In this way, we can adjust the grind to our tastes (or to the type of coffee we are going to prepare). The grinders are made of ceramic material, which, as you must know, resists corrosion much better and respects the raw material more than steel.
The control panel, as you can see in the following image, is completely tactile and has its own lighting. From it, we can comfortably access all the predetermined preparations that our Saeco GranBaristo has, and also the user profiles, the other great novelty of this super machine.
A user profile is a memory for the many settings of the coffee machine. Since you can customise any parameter of the coffee (amount of water, dose, temperature, grinding, etc.)… this function is ideal for storing these settings in a profile with your name, so you don’t have to repeat them every time you want to enjoy a coffee.
If several people with very different tastes are going to use the coffee machine at home, then the profile set becomes indispensable. One for Dad, one for Mum, one for John, one for Peter… and don’t worry about the number: the Saeco GranBaristo allows you to set up no fewer than six different profiles.
Saeco Granbaristo and Granbaristo Avanti: The difference is in the mobile phone
You will have seen that there are two different models of this coffee machine: one that we call Saeco GranBaristo and a superior one that bears the nickname Gran Baristo Avanti.
The only difference between the two is that the Avanti model can be controlled by mobile phone.
To do this, you must download an app (called Saeco Avanti) for iPhone and Android; it can only be legally downloaded from the iTunes store. So be careful with the model you buy, because the Great Baristo Avanti is more expensive than the normal model. The only difference is being able to handle it from a mobile or tablet.
After knowing this information, it is up to you to decide in advance whether or not you will be able to make use of the driving function through the app.
Saeco Granbaristo: General characteristics
- Automatic coffee machine with plastic and ABS housing. Anthracite colour.
- Maximum pressure: 15 bar.
- Removable water tank with a capacity of 1.7 litres.
- Built-in ceramic grinder with space for 270 grams of coffee and 5 grinding levels or thicknesses.
- The grinder has a double storage compartment with a grain exchanger. You can have two different varieties, and choose which one you are going to grind each dose from.
- Built-in milk tank, half a litre capacity.
- It allows to prepare automatically up to 18 different drinks or elaborations.
- Completely tactile and backlit control panel.
- Energy saving: the coffee maker automatically switches to standby mode when it is not in use.
- Six customisable user profiles.
- Adjustable height of the cup dispenser. At its highest point, it holds a 16.5 cm high cup. At its lowest point it only leaves a 7.5 centimetre margin.
- Ultra-fast water heating thanks to Saeco’s Thermo-Speed technology.
- Allows you to make one or two cups of coffee with each brew.
- Compatible with AquaClean water filters.
- Has an internal compartment where the grounds and remains of the ground coffee are stored. Approximate maximum capacity: 20 coffee services.
- Removable aluminium drip tray.
- Automatic system for cleaning and rinsing the internal pipes.
- The Avanti model can be controlled from a tablet or mobile phone, if you download the coffee maker’s own app.
- Approximate weight: 13 kilograms.
- Dimensions: 46 x 20 x 36 cms.
- Maximum power: 1900 watts.
Advantages of the Saeco Granbaristo
- That the grinder is made of ceramic material.
- It must have its own specific tank for foaming the milk directly from the inside.
- The six user profiles, which allow us to configure exactly any type of preparation for any type of coffee (size, dose intensity, temperature…) and store it in memory so that we do not have to repeat it every time we want to take out a cup.
- Being able to operate the coffee machine and configure your coffee from a mobile device is a real wonder. But you must be sure that you are going to take advantage of it, because the price difference compared to the model without connectivity is quite a lot.
Disadvantages of the Saeco Granbaristo
- In a clear way: its price. No matter how good a coffee maker is, it is not within the reach of every pocket.
- So it costs a little more than these 1.7 litres of water.
- To get the most out of your investment, you need to be a demanding user, use the machine very often and be eager to learn how to use all its functions.
Saeco Granbaristo: Videos
If you want to know ALL the details of a machine like this, the best thing is to watch the exceptional video review that the guys from Whole Latte Love have prepared:
Why buy a Saeco Granbaristo coffee machine?
We can’t put anything wrong with a coffee machine like this one. It is risky to claim that it is “the best coffee machine in the world“, but in the home sphere, it certainly deserves to be among the candidates for such an award.
However, we cannot overlook the unreasonableness of its price. There are slightly less impressive but still very high-end options on the market, which can easily cost half or less than a Saeco GranBaristo. We can mention, for example, the Viesta One Touch 1000, the Gaggia Accademia, the Siemens EQ.9 or the latest models in the spectacular Delonghi PrimaDonna series.
It is recommended only for very, very demanding espresso users who are going to take advantage of the countless features and functions it offers… and who have no qualms about their budget.