Name: Thermal Clarity
Brand: Russell Hobbs
Capacity: 1 litre
The British firm Russell Hobbs does not need much introduction. It may not be as popular as on the rest of the continent because its speciality undoubtedly filters or drip coffee machines.
In this segment, the British manufacturer offers one of the most extensive and varied ranges on the current scene. Today we are going to talk about the Clarity model, one of the highest range of thermal drip coffee machines in its catalogue.
Its full technical name is Russell Hobbs Thermal Clarity and corresponds to the company’s references 20770 and 20771 (more may be added in the future). We clarify this point because Russell Hobbs has an immense amount of references in its catalogue, and many times it is easy to get lost among so many numbers and to know which model corresponds to each one.
So you know, if at any time you come across a Russell Hobbs 20770, you know we are referring to it.
The Russell Hobbs Thermal Clarity is a coffee machine with a thermal steel jug, 1-litre capacity, 1000 watts of power, and can be programmed to make coffee for us up to 24 hours in advance. A real wonder, which is attractively priced although a bit high (in case you didn’t know, the vast majority of filter coffee machines sold are low range).
Russell Hobbs Thermal Clarity: Perfect temperature
There are two features that distinguish this Russell Hobbs Thermal Clarity from its competitors or other similar machines.
Firstly: compatibility with Brita water filters. Not all drip coffee machines allow the use of these water filters, which ensure maximum purity in our coffees even if we prepare them with tap water. The better the water, the better the final taste.
Secondly, this is a coffee machine that works with a special focus on temperature stability. The water tank is capable of maintaining constant pressure on the heating element so that the temperature does not vary during the whole brewing process (which is a drip coffee machine you know can be 6-8 minutes).
The technical explanation is somewhat complex, but to sum it up, we will say that the water filters little by little to a compartment located at the bottom of the water tank. The flow of water, and therefore the pressure it exerts, is always constant for this reason.
What does this mean? Changes in temperature have a negative effect on the taste of coffee, so by ensuring fewer changes, we also ensure a better end result to our drink.
In addition, the Russell Hobbs Clarity is capable of reaching the optimum brewing temperature 75% faster than similar machines (this is a manufacturer’s fact, but we offer it simply as a reference).
Russell Hobbs Clarity: General features
- Transparent water tank, 1 litre capacity (approximately 8 cups).
- Blue backlit LCD digital display.
- Timer for programming the coffee maker up to 24 hours in advance.
- Stainless steel thermal jug.
- Brita water filtration system.
- Removable filter holder for better access to the coffee filters.
- Digital clock (when the timer is not active).
- Water spray technology: the water does not fall on a single point of the ground coffee in the filter, but is distributed equally over the entire surface of the filter.
- Lighting ring that is activated while the machine is running, either by extracting coffee or by keeping the heat on.
- Pause function or automatic blocking during dripping.
- Accessories included: a Brita filter and a dosing spoon.
- Power: 1000 litres.
- Dimensions: 35 x 25 x 10 cms.
- Approximate weight: 3.3 kg.
Benefits of the Russell Hobbs Thermal Clarity
- The stainless steel finishes.
- The possibility of programming it with the timer.
- That includes a water filter as standard (we do not have to buy it separately).
- The fantastic temperature control.
Disadvantages of the Russell Hobbs Thermal Clarity
- The water tank is not removable.
- The capacity of the steel jug is slightly less than that of the tank.
- The price is high, and although the coffee maker is worth it, it is perhaps a bit too much for less demanding consumers.
Russell Hobbs Thermal Clarity: Videos
To learn more about this model by Russell Hobbs, nothing better than taking a look at this promotional video offered by the firm itself:
Why buy a Russell Hobbs Thermal Clarity?
The Russell Hobbs Clarity thermal coffee machine is a model with very advanced qualities, which surely not too many consumers will appreciate and make the most of. Filter coffee is not highly valued in our country, and so perhaps high-end filter coffee machines like this one do not have all the popularity they deserve.
In case you are interested and have enough budget to take home a Russell Hobbs Thermal Clarity, you will find a piece with all the features that can be demanded from a “good” drip coffee machine: a timer, a thermal carafe to keep the coffee naturally hot, exquisite precision in temperature control, uniform water spray on the filter, possibility of using Brita filters for the water… everything.
If you don’t need such a level and you settle for a slightly cheaper drip coffee maker, you can look at the Illumina or Jewels models within this same brand. You’ll save a few pounds and get a similar performance.