Name: L’OR Barista
Capacity: 1 litre
For many years, one of the brands of pods compatible with Nespresso has been L’OR pods. Over time, many consumers have made this brand their own, not only to save money but also for its quality and aroma. And in view of this success, it was only a matter of time before they decided to launch their own coffee maker.
The event took place at the beginning of 2019, the manufacturer was Philips (a real guarantee), and the name of the machine is Philips L’OR Barista. Or the LOR coffee machine, as it is popularly known. Its designer was the Iranian Khodi Feiz.
The Philips L’OR Barista model is also known as the Philips LM8012 and is a 19-bar pressure pod coffee maker that accepts both L’OR pods (including the L’OR Barista double espresso, exclusive to this system) and Nespresso single-dose capsules (and all its compatible ones). It is available in numerous colours to choose from on its plastic casing.
The water tank has a capacity of 1 litre and is located at the rear of the machine. As usual, it is transparent, graduated and can be removed for washing or cleaning inside.
Three different models of the L’Or coffee machine
This LOr coffee maker is sold in three versions with slightly different finishes and features:
- The basic one, with a glossy finish, is the Philips L’OR Barista LM8012/90.
- The version with a matt finish and gold trims is the Philips L’OR Barista LM 8016/90.
- The premium version, including milk foam, is the LM 8018/90.
As you can see, each one is a little more expensive than the previous one:
The L’Or Barista coffee machine in figures:
|Pressure bars||Different models |
|Tank capacity (cl.)|
Philips L’OR Barista: System and operation
This Philips L’OR Barista has several special features compared to the machines of other brands we know. The first point to note is the presence of three selection buttons (you can see them in the photograph below) to choose the size of the coffee we are going to prepare: espresso, ristretto, or lungo.
These operating buttons are located at the top of the coffee maker, next to the general switch for starting the machine.
We also need to talk about intelligent pod recognition, a feature that is necessary to make our Philips L’OR Barista compatible with Nespresso (or L’OR brand) single servings and also with L’OR Barista Double Espresso formats, which have a much larger coffee dose and a different size.
Thanks to this, with our machine we can make double espressos in a single cup (or two simultaneous espressos in two cups), which is the main distinguishing feature of this machine compared to other competitors on the market.
The third quality we would like to highlight is the presence of a milk frother (not integrated into the coffee maker, but a separate accessory) which allows us to make recipes for lattes or cappuccinos. For those who already have an electric milk frother at home, this will not be a great advance. But for the rest, it’s a great opportunity to get an all-in-one pack that also integrates perfectly with the Philips L’OR Barista coffee machine.
Of course, this set has a higher starting price than the single-use coffee maker. The company has decided to call it the Philips L’OR Barista Latte Edition. You’ll also see that this model (the one in the pack) has a model nomenclature that includes the single-serve coffee maker without a frother.
Finally, we have to talk about the always useful automatic decalcification program, which helps to keep the machine in perfect condition. Your Philips L’OR Barista will alert you to the right moment to start a descaling cycle by means of the ristretto and lungo buttons flashing.
Philips L’or Barista: General features
- Plastic bodywork with chrome finish, available in various colours.
- 19 bar pressure pump (like all Nespresso single-dose pumps).
- Water tank with a capacity of one litre, transparent and removable from the main body.
- Compatible with L’OR pods, with Nespresso format single-dose pods, and also with L’OR Barista Double Espresso format XXL pods.
- Allows you to make one or two cups simultaneously, in the style of armchair espresso machines.
- You can choose from 3 pre-set coffee sizes: ristretto (25 ml), espresso (40 ml) and lungo (110 ml).
- The anti-drip tray can be adjusted and positioned at different heights to accommodate large cups and glasses (essential for L’OR Barista XXL pods).
- Includes 9 free pods included in the box: 4 L’O Espresso pods, and 5 L’OR Barista Double Espresso pods.
Benefits of the L’OR Barista Philips coffee machine
- It allows you to make two coffees at once, or double espressos, an uncommon option in the world of pod coffee makers.
- It is compatible with L’OR Barista Double Espresso pods, as well as the entire range of L’OR and Nespresso single-serve pods.
- The 19 bar pressure.
- Allows you to choose from various coffee sizes or volumes.
- Interesting quality-price ratio (if you choose to buy the coffee maker alone, without the frother).
- All parts and components can be removed and washed separately in the dishwasher.
- With this machine you can forget about coffee grinders.
Disadvantages of the Philips L’OR Barista coffee machine
- The Philips milk frother, separately, is quite expensive. Buying the pack together doesn’t save you a fortune either… but something does show.
- The machine looks solid, but it is still a lightweight machine with excessive plastic in its manufacture.
Philips L’Or Barista coffee machine: Frequently asked questions
Is the L’Or Barista coffee machine compatible with Nespresso or Dolce Gusto pods?
No, it is not compatible. L’Or Barista pods are a unique and exclusive format. No other pods are available.
What is the difference between L’Or Barista pods and other pods?
Apart from the shape and material, the difference is the production of XXL size coffees. This is why they are also known as XXL capsules.
So, where can I buy the pods for the Philips L’Or coffee machine?
Fortunately, they are not difficult to obtain. Apart from Amazon, this format can be found in the distribution channels of the most common supermarkets. It should not be confused with Nespresso.
Are L’Or pods and L’Or Barista pods the same?
No. On the one hand, there are the L’Or Nespresso pods, which are compatible with Nespresso, and on the other hand, the L’Or Barista capsules, which are an exclusive format for this coffee machine that we are dealing with today.
Pods for the L’OR Barista coffee machine
We have already mentioned that this machine does not work with single-dose machines from Nespresso, Dolce Gusto or any other brand compatible with these formats.
The capsules for the L’Or Barista double coffee machine have their own format, shape and materials. They are XXL in size – you know, to make extra-long coffees – and the packaging is different from that of the L’Or capsules compatible with Nespresso – make no mistake! That’s why it’s known as a double L’Or Barista coffee machine.
To avoid confusion, always look for “L’Or Barista pods” in both the supermarket and on Amazon. That way, you won’t miss out.
How the Philips L’OR Barista coffee machine works
If you want to know how to use the Philips L’OR Barista Double, here is a commercial presentation that will help you clarify some doubts. In any case, the operation is similar to that of any pod coffee machine.
You enter the single-dose, choose the size (if you use a Double Espresso pod, the machine detects it automatically), and press the start button.
It is also interesting to know how the Philips L’OR Barista milk frother works since, as we have said, one of the most interesting features of this machine is the possibility of preparing milk froth coffees, lattes and other specialities. You can watch this video:
Why buy a Philips L’OR Barista?
In our opinion, the adjective that best defines this Lor coffee maker is complete. It is a concept that goes a little further than the traditional pod coffee machines on the market to date.
It incorporates elements typical of armoured espressos, such as the production of double espressos (or two espressos simultaneously) or the possibility of automatically foaming milk and making different specialities by hand.
This nuance seems important to us because although other brands include cappuccinos or lattes in their pod catalogue (the case of Dolce Gusto or Tassimo, to cite a few examples), this Philips L’OR Barista allows us to do so with fresh milk, just as we would do with an espresso machine. The Nespresso Lattissima is perhaps one of the few things we could find that is even slightly similar on the market.
Of course, we also have to talk about compatibility with all L’OR pods, all Nespresso format capsules (including the official ones) and of course with L’OR’s XXL Double Espresso pods, which have a larger than usual dose of coffee. In total, there are dozens and dozens of coffee varieties to choose from.