Capacity: 1.25 litres
Manufactured by Technivorm, this MoccaMaster KBG741 is the top model in the MoccaMaster range. In this review, we will go over some of the ratings and reviews about Moccamaster that we have been able to extract during the evaluation of this prestigious machine, as well as our own opinions.
The MoccaMaster KBG741 filter coffee machine has a maximum capacity of 1.25 litres of water, which is enough to prepare approximately 10 cups of coffee, and which the machine has ready in a record time of just six minutes.
We want to make it clear that this is a premium coffee machine, i.e. it has much more advanced functions and details than we are used to seeing in conventional drip coffee machines. This is reflected in the final quality of the product, and also in its price, of course.
The first thing that strikes us about this MoccaMaster KBG741 is its appearance. The design has a modular configuration, very similar, for example, to the Melitta Aroma Signature, with a tower on the left that houses the heating units and the water tank, and two compartments on the right to housing both the filters (above) and the glass jar (below).
The whole set is placed on a base of quite a solid appearance and with non-slip feet to avoid frights when handling it. Each element (tank, jug, filters) can be accessed, removed or placed quite easily. It goes without saying that all of them have an impeccable quality of materials and workmanship.
Technivorm Moccamaster Coffee Machines: Range of Colours
One of the most striking details of the MoccaMaster KBG741 is the wide variety of colours in which it is sold, as you can see in the mosaic below.
All Moccamaster coffee makers: 3 Different models
Moccasmaster offers its users three different models of filter coffee machines:
- Those with glass jugs, or KGB Select.
- The thermal carafe model KGBT.
- The single cup or KGB Cup One.
Moccamaster KGB Select
It is the normal model, with a glass jug, and the main protagonist of this review. All sections of this guide refer to this Moccamaster KGB Select coffee machine (features, benefits, etc.), so we won’t dwell on it too much right now.
They come with two types of glass jars: one 1 litre and one 1.25 litre, but normally the latter is the one we find in Spain. There are no major differences between them, apart from the immense variety of finishes (metallic, lacquered, matt, shiny…) and colours that can be chosen.
Moccamaster KGBT (Thermal)
This is practically the same as the previous one, but with an integrated thermal carafe instead of the classic glass carafe. It corresponds to the Moccamaster 79323 (and following) nomenclature.
The Moccamaster Cup-One drip coffee maker is the small version of the above. As its name suggests, it is a single-cup machine designed for users who live alone or who prefer to make their own coffee (as with espresso machines) rather than having to make a huge pot of coffee and then drink it reheated throughout the day.
The quality standard of the one-cup Moccamaster is identical to that of its bigger sisters, but logically the coffee machine is smaller. The capacity of the tank is 0.3 litres, which is two normal-small cups of coffee or a mug or large cup of coffee.
The Moccamaster CupOne has 1090 watts of power and is available in a range of colours as with the brand’s other models.
Moccamaster KBG741: Main features
- There is a cup warming surface on the top of the set.
- The water tank has a capacity of 1.25 litres. It also has a water level indicator.
- Energy saving function: the coffee machine switches off automatically after 100 minutes of non-use.
- It has two separate boilers or heating groups: one for the preparation of the coffee itself, and the other for the cup-warming tray.
- The water boiler is made of copper, and this material allows the water temperature to remain constant between 92ºC and 96ºC throughout the brewing process.
- The water tank has both the capacity level (litres) and its equivalent in coffee cups marked so that you know exactly how much you are preparing.
- Automatic decalcification warning.
- The coffee machine has an anti-drip function.
- Power: 1520 watts.
- Dimensions: 17 x 33 x36 cms.
- Weighs about 4 kg.
Advantages of the Moccamaster KBG741
- All Moccamaster coffee machines are manufactured by hand, piece by piece, in the Netherlands.
- It is very easy to operate: it only has two operating buttons.
- It is a drip coffee machine from the undisputed Premium range.
- Fast operation: according to the manufacturer, it can prepare its maximum capacity (approx. 10 cups) in only six minutes.
Disadvantages of the Moccamaster KBG741
- It is expensive, compared to other drip or filter coffee machines.
- Before buying it, bear in mind that it takes up a lot of space in the kitchen.
- 10 cups is fine, it’s a standard capacity… but maybe in a coffee maker of such high performance we could have expected a somewhat larger deposit.
Spare parts for the Moccamaster Select coffee machine
As this is a very exclusive firm and follows only the highest standards in the market, Technivorm Moccamaster has its own line of spare parts and replacements for Moccamaster coffee machines. They are indispensable because if you lose or damage an accessory, you cannot go to the corner shop and buy one of the typical universal spare parts. They won’t work for you.
If you have a Moccamaster coffee maker, you should stick to official spare parts, like these:
As you can see, the most common are paper filters (of their own brand), permanent filters and of course, all kinds of jars, both glass and thermos flasks, to preserve the coffee.
The Moccamaster coffee grinder
If you really want to make the best filter coffee in the world, apart from buying a Moccamaster coffee machine, you will also need a good coffee grinder to enjoy it freshly ground.
Or would it make sense to spend 200 euros on such a machine and then use the cheapest pre-ground coffee from the corner shop? Obviously not.
At Technivorm, they are aware of this, which is why they have a high-end coffee grinder like this on the market as well:
Both the finishes and the grinding wheels are made of stainless steel, and each end of the grinder gives off the highest quality in all its components, exactly as in the brand’s coffee machines.
Moccamaster KBG741 drip coffee machine: How it works
As always, before buying your coffee machine, we recommend that you take a look at the always useful video analyses. First of all, here’s a complete review of this MoccaMaster KBG741:
And here is another, somewhat more extensive one that places greater emphasis on details:
Why buy a Moccamaster coffee machine? Is it worth it?
If you’re looking for a drip coffee maker and want to move primarily upmarket, Technivorm’s MoccaMaster KBG741 is one of the options you’re going to like the most. It has everything, including options that are usually more typical of espresso machines, such as the tray for warming up cups and plates on the top. The service it offers (up to a maximum of 10 cups) is excellent.
Highly recommended if you are looking for a filter coffee machine of this type… and have a sufficient budget, of course. Criticisms of Moccamaster are always related to its high price, but we know that quality must be paid for.