Capacity: 1.25 litres
The Melitta Easy is a standard filter coffee machine (filter size 1×4) brought to us by the Melitta brand and is characterised by its compact and modern design. Its capacity is that of a large coffee machine (about 1.25 litres of water) and allows you to make 10-15 cups of coffee if you fill it to the top.
We could say that it is Melitta’s alternative for users looking for the mid-range of drip coffee machines: they are not looking for a very sophisticated machine, but they do demand more demanding performance than that found in cheaper filter coffee machines.
Taking a closer look at this Melitta Easy, we find a modular drip coffee machine where its components can be removed or swivelled (the filter holder, the decanter, the water tank) and are also dishwasher safe.
The water tank is transparent with level indicators on the walls, and the decanter where the coffee is deposited is made of glass. Later we will see advanced models of this Easy, which replace this traditional jug with a much more practical and higher quality thermal.
If you are a regular visitor to our website -and if not, we’ll tell you- you will have seen that this Melitta Easy is not very different from the Enjoy model that we analyzed on the web a few days ago. It shares, among other things, the AromaSelector system: a rotary control located on the top of the coffee maker and used to determine the intensity of the coffee we are going to prepare.
The Melitta Easy also includes the usual anti-drip system of all Melitta coffee machines. This safety lock ensures that the coffee will not continue to drip even if the carafe is removed.
Melitta Easy Therm and EasyTop
In addition to its basic model, the Melitta Easy range has two other very interesting options aimed at satisfying the most demanding users. These are the Melitta Easy Therm and the Melitta EasyTop Therm.
The Melitta Easy Therm differs from the basic model. The glass carafe is replaced by a thermal carafe, which is completely opaque and made of a material capable of maintaining the temperature of the coffee for longer, once served.
On the other hand, the Melitta EasyTop differs from the standard version. The main cover of the filter holder (which corresponds to the upper body of the coffee maker) is made of stainless steel, which is much more durable, easy to clean and attractive than plastic.
If we combine both features, we have the EasyTop Therm, a coffee machine that retains practically only the casing and base from the original Easy. The steel-coated filter holder and the thermal carafe give it a much more modern and attractive appearance. You can see what it looks like in the picture below:
On the less positive side, we have to say that the capacity of the Melitta EasyTop is lower than the standard (from 1.25 litres, we go down to around one litre) for reasons we do not yet know. This means that the number of normal-sized cups that can be prepared with a full tank is reduced from 10 to 8. In short, a small disadvantage that we must accept if we want to enjoy a higher quality coffee machine than the conventional Easy.
Melitta Easy: Main features
- All removable parts can be put in the dishwasher.
- Available in white and black.
- Water tank capacity: 1.25 litres. Enough to prepare 10-15 cups of coffee.
- The tank is removable and has a transparent indicator of the remaining water level.
- Safety system: the dripping stops when we remove the jug from its position.
- On/off switch with pilot light.
- Works with standard 1×4 size paper filters.
- Energy-saving: the coffee maker switches off automatically after several minutes of inactivity.
- AromaSelector function that allows us to determine the intensity of the coffee we are going to prepare (soft or strong).
- It includes a built-in compartment to collect the extra wires.
- Power: 1050 watts.
- Weighs about 1.6 kg.
- Its dimensions are 36 x 26 x 23 centimetres.
Advantages of the Melitta Easy
- You can purchase the basic version of the coffee machine, or opt for versions with higher quality components, such as the stainless steel top (EasyTop) or the always useful thermal carafe (Easy Therm).
- The removable parts can also be washed in the dishwasher.
- The AromaSelector system allows us to customise to some extent the intensity of the coffee we are going to prepare. Nothing common in a drip coffee maker.
Disadvantages of the Melitta Easy
- This is not a drawback in itself, but it seems to us that in its basic version this Melitta Easy does not bring any great new features to the Melitta filter coffee machine range. It is very similar to the Enjoy model.
- The Easy Top Therm model has a smaller capacity than the basic version: 1 litre compared to 1.25. This means that we can prepare a maximum of 8 normal-sized cups of coffee, instead of 10 as with the standard Easy.
- The basic version has an excessive presence of plastic material in both the internal and external components.
Melitta Easy: Videos
We haven’t found much material on the web, but here is a complete commercial video in which we can see quite a few details of the Melitta Easy and also of the stainless steel version of the Melitta EasyTop:
Why buy a Melitta Easy?
The medium range of Melitta drip coffee machines (and generally the entire filter coffee sector) is dominated by models like Melitta Easy. Large capacity – allowing us to prepare 10 generously sized cups of coffee – interesting features such as the anti-drip system or the Aroma selector, and a price that remains affordable despite the undoubted prestige inherent to the German firm.
However, we recommend the version with a thermal carafe (Melitta Easy Therm) for a price that is not much higher. You also have a stainless steel version (Melitta EasyTop Therm), but it’s up to you to decide if it’s worth it. The materials are better, but the capacity of the tank is somewhat lower.
As we’ve said several times in this article, the Melitta Enjoy is a very similar alternative to this coffee maker. They differ in the signature of the tank (cylindrical on the Enjoy, conical on the Easy) and very little else. Outside of Melitta, we can recommend other coffee makers similar in price and performance, such as the Rowenta Adagio (with thermal carafe) or the Russell Hobbs Cottage (with glass carafe).