Name: Caffeo Passione
Capacity: 1.2 litres
The Melitta Caffeo Passione is one of the latest models in the entire range of Melitta automatic coffee machines. The German company has had this coffee machine on the market since 2014, and the Caffeo Passione quickly made its mark thanks to two well-used features: its compact size and its automatic cappuccino preparation system.
Design: Space saving
As we say, this Caffeo Passione is Melitta’s big bet in the compact machine segment. Long gone are the days when enjoying a top-of-the-range coffee machine at home meant having to clear out half the kitchen to make room for it. The Melitta Caffeo Passione is able to include all the features that you would expect from a super-automatic, including the Auto Cappuccinatore system, in a small footprint.
The ability to prepare cappuccinos, or any other coffee beverage with milk foam, automatically leaving all the control to the coffee maker is a luxury increasingly demanded by users, and therefore increasingly served by major brands. Melitta has decided to equip its Caffeo Passione with this steamer:
As you can see, the milk frothing tube has a built-in rotary control with which we can activate 3 different functions: Milk skimmer (right position), hot milk (top position) and hot water (left position).
The latter two are perfect for extending the possibilities of the Melitta Caffeo Passione, as they allow us to enjoy drinks such as infusions or chocolate in a cup instantly. In other words: a coffee maker that doesn’t just make coffee!
The operation of the Melitta Caffeo Passione steamer is very simple. The plastic tube that comes out from the side must be inserted into the container where the milk is kept.
From there, the system will take the milk and pour it into your cup, which will then turn into foam (or hot milk, depending on the position you have chosen on the rotary control). If you choose to use the hot water system, this plastic tube will not be used as the coffee maker will take the water directly from its 1.2 litre capacity tank.
On another note, we have to write a few lines about the peculiar AromaSafe system: a special sealing platform that guarantees the total protection of the aromas and flavours of the coffee beans stored in the tank. In addition, the Bean to Cup function ensures that only the exact amount of coffee required for each brew is ground. Not one gram more.
In this way, the coffee machine uses 100% of the grinding for the extraction of the coffee, and the ground coffee compartment is completely empty every time. There is no risk of mixing different types of coffee, and no residue from one preparation with the next.
The control panel of the Melitta Caffeo Passione occupies the upper part of the front panel and in its centre there is a digital display where symbols appear to indicate aspects of the settings chosen for our coffee, or to inform us which part of the process we are in.
To the left of the screen are the four buttons used to choose the size of the coffee (espresso, normal, large or double) and to the right are the controls for the steamer, the start of extraction, and the intensity selector.
Apart from all this, the Melitta Caffeo Passione has similar qualities to the other automatic coffee machines we already know: 15 bar pressure, an integrated grinder that can be configured, height-adjustable nozzle… we will list all those we consider relevant in the following section:
Melitta Caffeo Passione: main features
- Stainless steel housing (apart from the black and silver models, whose cover is made of conventional material).
- Integrated grinder with steel wheels.
- Coffee bean container with a capacity of 125 grams.
- Pump with 15 bar pressure.
- It is possible to personalize the size of the coffee (to choose between 4 volumes) and its intensity (from softer to stronger).
- AromaSafe system that hermetically seals the coffee bean deposit and ensures the preservation of the product’s aromas and flavours before grinding.
- Digital TFT screen.
- Removable drip tray.
- The coffee spout is height-adjustable, leaving up to 13.5 cm of space at its highest point.
- Possibility of preparing one or two cups of coffee simultaneously.
- The steamer offers hot water, hot milk and milk foam services.
- Coffee intensity selector to choose from 5 levels.
- Includes automatic cleaning and decalcification systems.
- Automatic switch-off after several minutes of inactivity after use.
- Dimensions: 25 x 38 x 39 centimetres.
- Weight: about 11 kilograms.
- Operating power: 1400 watts.
- Energy efficiency rating: A.
Melitta Caffeo Passione: its colour range
We offer you direct purchase links to the two current models of this coffee maker: in black and silver. Apart from these two colours, there is a third version of the Caffeo Passione made of stainless steel (which is also silver, but in this case metallic).
There is also an advanced version of Passione, called Caffeo Passione OT, whose main features are the default settings for up to 10 different varieties of drinks, and the incorporation of a TFT screen with images.
Benefits of the Melitta Caffeo Passione
- Automatic cappuccino preparation system: just press a button, and follow the instructions on the coffee machine.
- The steamer or frothing system is very complete, with three distinct services: hot water, hot milk, and milk foam.
- It is a more compact machine than other large Melitta (and competitor) machines, but it does not forego the cappuccinatore system.
Disadvantages of the Melitta Caffeo Passione
- We miss the option of being able to determine the extraction temperature of our coffee.
- The 125-gram capacity of the coffee bean storage facility is a bit too small for us.
- The same goes for the water tank (1.2 litres). Slightly below the average of this segment of coffee machines… but as we always say, the compact size has its drawbacks and one of them is the necessary reduction of space in the storage elements.
Melitta Caffeo Passione: videos
Here you have absolutely everything about the Caffeo Passione, directly offered by Melitta:
And here’s a slightly more complete and objective presentation and demonstration of use, courtesy of MaxiCoffee:
Why buy a Melitta Caffeo Passione?
If you are looking for an espresso machine with a good automatic system for preparing cappuccinos or milk froth drinks, this Melitta Caffeo Passione is one of the options you should consider. It sacrifices some capacity in exchange for offering a very compact size… perfect for those kitchens that are not exactly overcrowded.
Caffeo Passione differs from Caffeo Bistro or Caffeo Gourmet precisely in this Auto Cappuccinatore system. The other Melitta automatic machines provide a great tool for foaming milk, but the drinks have to be made by hand. In this respect, it is comparable to the more advanced Caffeo CI model, which also has automatic cappuccino preparation.
Other alternatives in the market of automatic machines with automatic cappuccino preparation can be the Jura Impressa A5 or the Saeco Incanto. The price ranges between all of them are similar, so we advise you to check the purchase links at the exact moment of your reading, so that you can evaluate more precisely which is the best offer at each moment.