Name: E965 Caffeo Gourmet
Capacity: 1.8 litres
On this occasion, we are reviewing the Melitta Caffeo Gourmet model, the fourth Melitta automatic coffee machine that we have analysed almost consecutively, and with which we close a brief series that we have made on the web over the last few days.
To help the reader find their way around, let’s remember that this Caffeo Gourmet model corresponds to the Melitta E965 nomenclature. The other automatic coffee machines analysed to date by this German firm are the Caffeo Solo (E950), the Caffeo Bistro (model E960) and the Caffeo CI (E970). So, on a range scale, our Gourmet Caffeo would be situated just below the spectacular Caffeo CI.
Its design is quite square, with a predominance of edges and straight lines. Pure Melitta essence. In this respect, the Caffeo Gourmet does not differ much from other coffee machines of the brand. It is only available in two colours, both very classic: silver body or black body.
The main advantage of the Melitta Caffeo Gourmet compared to its competitors is a spectacular milk blender, similar to the one found in the Caffeo Bistro model. Nothing to do with the traditional one had vaporizer of other coffee machines. It can be removed from the coffee machine and handled -or cleaned- separately. We can also put it in the dishwasher when we have finished using it, as we already know that milk residues are always delicate.
But perhaps the feature that most distinguishes it (in the positive sense) from the Caffeo Bistro is the Aroma Adjust, which is nothing more than a wider range of intensities to choose from. Thus, this Melitta Caffeo Gourmet offers users two extra possibilities, in addition to the classic mild – normal – strong options. For those with a more discerning palate, this machine can be used to prepare a very mild coffee (extra mild) or a particularly intense one (extra strong), because the Gourmet name for this Melitta E965 model is a perfect fit!
The other big difference (more visual than functional) between the Caffeo Gourmet and the Caffeo Bistro is the control panel, which has been renewed and updated to accommodate a clearer digital display. Here we can obtain precise information about the qualities that will make up our espresso.
The button panel, just below the display, takes up less space than in previous Melitta models, and the two rotary controls on the left and right, which govern the main operation of the coffee maker (starting up the steamer and coffee group, respectively), are retained.
Below is a detailed photograph of this panel, which in our opinion is cleaner and more user-friendly than its predecessor. For example, there is no longer a specific button for activating the double espresso preparation, but simply pressing the rotary knob on the right twice.
As for the main features, in this Melitta Caffeo Gourmet you will find practically everything good offered by other Melitta machines. The Bean Select function, for example, divides the coffee bean storage compartment into two halves, allowing you to choose which one to grind for each preparation.
The grinder can hold up to 260 grams of coffee (130 in each half) and allows you to select up to 4 grinding thicknesses to adapt the coffee exactly to your taste.
The dispenser, with two outlet nozzles, can be adjusted up and down to accommodate even the largest cups. Also noteworthy is the preparation of two cups of coffee, or the energy-saving and energy-saving options that are becoming increasingly popular in the small household appliance sector.
Finally, we do not want to overlook the always useful automatic cleaning and decalcification programmes that are already integrated as standard in the Melitta Caffeo Gourmet.
The internal pipes of the coffee maker are continuously rinsed, by default, with every preparation (without prejudice to us, as responsible users, continuing to carry out the basic cleaning tasks that any coffee machine needs to keep in perfect condition) and also.
Without further ado, we will leave you with the main technical specifications and functions that you will find when you receive this coffee machine at home:
Melitta Caffeo Gourmet: main features
- The box includes the coffee machine, a cleaning and decalcifying liquid set, and a test to check the water hardness.
- It includes a grinder integrated in the upper part of the housing, with 4 grinding levels and a storage for 260 grams of coffee beans.
- Bean Select system, which divides the grain tank in two and allows the user to choose which of the two halves to grind in each preparation.
- Removable water tank with a capacity of 1.8 litres.
- Professional, removable, dishwasher-safe milk foam mixer.
- Digital LCD display.
- 15 bar pressure pump.
- Rotary Switch main control.
- Removable metal drip tray.
- The water tank is compatible with a filter, which is already included with the coffee maker.
- Personalisation of each coffee: you can choose between 5 intensities (from very mild to very strong) thanks to the Aroma Adjust system. You can also determine the temperature and the quantity or size of the coffee.
- Cup warming tray located on the top panel of the housing, next to the grinder inlet.
- Includes several pre-programmed automatic cleaning and descaling cycles.
- The coffee nozzle, with two outlets, is adjustable: at its highest point it leaves a margin of up to 13 cm to the drip tray.
- Energy saving: the coffee maker can be switched off using the on/off switch, or automatically after several minutes of inactivity.
- Possibility of preparing one or two cups of coffee simultaneously.
- Available in two colours: silver and black.
- Power: 1500 watts.
- Its approximate dimensions are 47 x 27 x 35 cms.
- It weighs about 9 kilograms.
Advantages of Melitta Caffeo Gourmet
- The main advantage of this coffee machine, in our opinion, is the Aroma Adjust: an exclusive system that allows us to determine up to five different intensities for each coffee, from extra mild to extra strong. In other automatic espressos, only three intensities can be selected (mild, normal and intense). In addition, you can choose the thickness of the grind, the amount of coffee (longer or shorter) or the extraction temperature.
- The milk blender is unparalleled in other competing coffee machines and has already won several awards in the industry. Apart from its spectacular performance, we can clean it separately.
- Very clean and intuitive control panel. The digital display is the same as the top model: Caffeo CI.
Disadvantages of the Melitta Caffeo Gourmet
- If you are not going to take advantage of or value the Aroma Adjust option, the truth is that this Caffeo Gourmet offers few functional differences from the Caffeo Bistro.
- It is a heavy and large coffee maker. You must find a suitable space in your kitchen and make sure you don’t move it from there.
- Dividing the storage compartment for coffee beans into two halves allows us to have two different varieties of product ready for grinding, but also reduces the amount we can store (130 grams of each).
- It does not include a milk tank.
Melitta Caffeo Gourmet: videos
Here’s how to make an extra-strong espresso with our Melitta Caffeo Gourmet
…and here a demonstration of similar use but making a cappuccino and a latte macchiato:
Finally, a commercial ad that is always useful to see some details that are not reflected in the photos:
Why buy a Melitta Caffeo Gourmet?
If you’ve come this far after reading the full analysis, it’s clear that this Caffeo Gourmet coffee machine (model E965 by Melitta) is much closer to the previous Caffeo Bistro (E960) than to the superior Caffeo CI (E970).
The ability to prepare coffee with a wide range of intensities, and the updated control panel are the main features of this Caffeo Gourmet compared to the Caffeo Bistro model. Whether or not it makes up for the difference in price… is something you should value for yourself.
We recommend it if you love cappuccinos and you plan to prepare a lot of them at home. The milk shaker/foamer incorporated in this coffee machine is worthy of intensive use. You will also get a lot out of it if you have a refined palate and like to taste very, very mild, or very, very strong coffees.
The best alternative we can think of, because of the similarity, is the Caffeo Bistro de Melitta. Outside the German company, we can choose the ETAM 29.620 from Delonghi, the Saeco Incanto, or even one of the Jura coffee machines that can prepare automatic cappuccinos, such as the Impressa A5.