Capacity: 2 cups
With the Melitta Aromaboy model, we tackle one of Melitta’s most classic drip coffee machines (which is already a lot to say, as the German firm’s range is outstanding). It is a 500-watt filter coffee machine with two main, highly recognisable features:
Firstly, the design of the Melitta Aromaboy is inevitably reminiscent of the coffee machines of the 1980s, and this is no coincidence since the original model dates from 1979 and has hardly changed since then.
There are no traces of modernism anywhere, and even the range of colours chosen for this model helps to reinforce that warm feeling of a return to the past. Black, white, and full-blown eighties beige. The carafe is made of glass, and the rest of the components of the coffee maker are made of plastic, including the filter holder (removable, as we can see in the picture).
The second fundamental quality by which you should recognise this coffee machine is its capacity: The Melitta Aromaboy is a small drip coffee machine designed to make only 1 or 2 cups at most.
It, therefore, has a very different target audience and goals from the traditional large drip coffee makers, which allow you to make 1 or 1.5 litres of coffee with each cup. Consumers who live alone or who have little space in the kitchen will undoubtedly appreciate the presence of small coffee machines such as the Melitta Aromaboy on the market, and this is where this model achieves much of its popularity and presence on the sales lists.
Of course, you have to bear in mind that the paper filters used by the Melitta Aromaboy are not the standard 1×4, but smaller ones called 1×2 (or size 100, if you find it that way). They are less common, but you will have no problem finding them in any supermarket or department store in your city.
Apart from these two characteristics, the Melitta Aromaboy has very basic features, in line with what is an economical range drip coffee machine. Both the main body of the coffee machine and the lids that close the tank and the filter holder are made of plastic, matching the colour of the model. The on/off switch is located on the side of the coffee machine and has a pilot light that lights up if the coffee machine is running.
Also, not all the features of this coffee maker are typical of the 1980s. The Melitta Aromaboy includes a practical compartment for storing or collecting excess cables, it switches off to save energy if you are not using it for more than 40 minutes, and it also complies with the Melitta Eco & Care programme, which ensures that all its appliances are energy and environmentally friendly.
Energy savings, durability, ease of use and maintenance are concepts closely linked to the Eco & Care programme, and therefore also present in this Melitta Aromaboy. As you can see, one of Melitta’s flagship coffee machines does not forsake the most modern and up-to-date market principles.
Melitta Aromaboy: colours
As we have already said, the colours offered by this Aromaboy are somehow reminiscent of the usual shades in the appliances of yesteryear. None of them is striking for their joy or liveliness.
Which one is your favourite? If you want to go back a few decades, you have to admit that the coffee maker in this yellowish beige tone has its charm.
Melitta Aromaboy: main features
- Transparent water tank with level indicator (1 or 2 cups)
- On/off button with its lighting.
- Includes removable, dishwasher-safe glass jug. Same as the filter holder.
- Energy-saving: the coffee machine switches off automatically after 40 minutes of inactivity.
- Works with 1×2 (small) filters.
- Available in three colours: black, white and beige.
- Integrated cable compartment.
- Dimensions: 12 x 17 x 20 cm.
- Weight: 800 grams.
- Power: 500 watts.
Advantages of Melitta Aromaboy
- Its small size and the ease of transporting it from one place to another
- If we consume a small amount of coffee a day, this Melitta Aromaboy covers all our needs and avoids all the inconveniences (space, consumption, cleaning) of a larger drip coffee machine.
- The removable components can be washed in the dishwasher without any problem.
- Handling is hyper-simple! There is only one button: the on/off button.
Disadvantages of Melitta Aromaboy
- We miss the option to buy this model with a thermal carafe, and not with the conventional glass carafe.
- All the main elements of the exterior of the coffee maker are made of plastic.
- Despite the fact that the coffee maker is very small, the most practical thing is to place it with the left side – where the switch is present – facing us. In other words, “across”. Otherwise we would not be able to easily access the switch or see the water tank level indicator properly.
Melitta Aromaboy: videos
The truth is that there are not many videos on the web about this coffee machine. Here is a complete usage demonstration, from the beginning to the extraction of all the coffee, with the white Melitta Aromaboy:
As you can see, regardless of its size, the drip-extraction process and heating times in the Melitta Aromaboy do not differ much from those of other larger (and more powerful, of course) coffee makers.
Why buy a Melitta Aromaboy?
More than 30 years have passed since this coffee maker was first introduced. For a coffee maker with such unique and defined qualities as this Melitta Aromaboy, it’s easy to establish suitable criteria for its purchase or a set of clear guidelines that would at least recommend having it in your sights. It is by far the smallest Melitta coffee maker, and everything in it has been designed with the idea of saving as much space as possible.
We recommend it if you only need to prepare a daily amount of coffee between 1 and 2 cups (ideal for a single consumer or people living alone). The Melitta Aromaboy is also a very practical coffee machine if you have very little space in your kitchen or if you need to take it with you on trips, camping or similar. It takes up very little space and is also very lightweight. It is difficult to find a smaller and more manageable drip coffee machine.
As an alternative, we can recommend an intermediate model with a capacity of about 5 cups of coffee: Melitta Single5. It is not a single brewer like the AromaBoy, but it does not reach the large size of the larger drip coffee machines either. Another option, although with a different extraction system, are the small hydro-pressure coffee machines such as the Severin KA5979 or the Jata CA704.