Name: Aroma Fresh
Capacity: 1.5 litres
For some reason that escapes us, by now we had left one of the most attractive machines in the universe of Melitta filter coffee machines in the inkwell. Within a brand that is already synonymous with quality, the Melitta Aroma Fresh – that’s the name of this model – represents the highest range of its drip coffee machines, and the only one with an integrated coffee grinder.
That’s precisely where the name comes from: the name Aroma Fresh refers precisely to the unparalleled aroma and freshness achieved by making freshly ground filter coffee instead of using a vacuum-packed grinder from months ago. There is no comparison.
This machine is fitted with a 1,375-litre water tank, fully visible from the outside and graduated. The body is made of stainless steel, and the components give the sensation of strength and robustness typical of the finishes of this German brand. In this sense, Melitta Aroma Fresh does not disappoint.
The grinder, of course, does not offer the same precision or adjustments that we demand of one for espresso. It has three preset levels: fine, medium and coarse, which are more than sufficient to make filter coffee.
Melitta Aroma Fresh: with or without thermal carafe
This Aroma Fresh machine can be chosen in two versions: with a glass carafe or with a thermal carafe. The performance and capacity of the tank in both cases is the same, but the glass carafe has a capacity of 1.5 litres and the stainless steel one is slightly smaller: 1.25 litres.
In any case, we insist, the capacity of the water tank, and therefore the amount of coffee you can take out with the full coffee maker, is the same in both cases.
Naturally, the version with a steel carafe allows us to keep the coffee hot for quite some time, and that has to be noted in the final price: between 40 and 50 £ more expensive than the version with a glass carafe. In our opinion, it is a total success for the house to let us choose the same coffee maker with both configurations. Not all models allow this, and sometimes it is a nuisance.
As for the other features, as a top-of-the-range coffee maker this Melitta Aroma Fresh lacks nothing. At the bottom is the control panel, where you can set the timer (up to 24 hours in advance), choose the intensity of the coffee by varying the water spray (3 pre-defined levels), or view the decalcification warnings.
It also has a small LCD screen, not very big (everything has to be said) that informs us of the status of the machine at all times.
Melitta Aroma Fresh: General characteristics
- Drip coffee maker with stainless steel body.
- Water tank of 1,375 litres, removable, transparent and graduated up to 10 cups.
- You can choose between the conventional glass decanter, or the thermal steel decanter.
- Tilting head for easy access to the filter.
- Integrated grinder with compartment for 180 grams of coffee beans. The machine can also be used with directly ground coffee.
- You can choose between 3 grinding levels: fine, medium or coarse.
- It works with 1×4 size paper filters (no permanent filter included).
- Heatable and programmable tray: after 20, 40 or 60 minutes of operation, the coffee maker turns itself off. This allows us to keep the coffee warm for as long as we need it.
- All components can be removed and washed in the dishwasher.
- Selection of the aroma or intensity of the coffee (3 levels)
- Timer programmable up to 24 hours in advance.
- Programmable light signals for decalcification according to the water hardness used and automatic execution of the cleaning programme.
- Cleaning brush for the grinder included as an accessory.
- Power: 1000 watts.
- Dimensions: 23 x 26 x 44 cms.
- Approximate weight: 4.2 kg.
Advantages of Melitta Aroma Fresh
- Above all, the integrated grinder that allows us to make a really fresh coffee with all the aroma.
- The decalcification programme is carried out automatically. That is, it not only warns you, but also executes the cleaning from start to finish. You can program the frequency of the warning yourself, depending on the pH hardness of the water you use in the tank.
- The finishes are in stainless steel.
- We can program the time we want to keep the coffee hot (through the heating tray) between 20, 40 or 60 minutes. After that time, the coffee maker turns itself off – a smart and simple solution!
Disadvantages of Melitta Aroma Fresh
- No permanent filter. If you want it, you have to buy it separately.
- It is clear that its price will be beyond the reach of many pockets. It is not a machine for everyone.
How the Melitta Aroma Fresh works (on video)
This is not a conventional filter coffee maker, so it’s a good idea to review its operation and learn more about how to use Melitta Aroma Fresh.
In general, it will be enough for you to get used to the “advanced” options, such as temperature maintenance or playing with the spraying and grinding parameters to achieve different intensities of the coffee. This already depends on your taste.
Why buy a Melitta Aroma Fresh coffee maker? Opinions and alternatives
We have the habit of associating filter coffee makers with very simple machines and few options. Still, the truth is that this myth is exploded as soon as we evaluated coffee makers of the calibre of this Melitta Aroma Fresh. Is it expensive? Yes, but if you like filter coffee, this is your choice. You won’t need another coffee maker in your life.
You can set a multitude of parameters, from the thickness of the grind to the intensity of the filtering/spraying of the water, to the heating time or the choice between two different types of jugs. By combining them you will get multiple possibilities and almost as many different coffees as you can think of. It is difficult not to find a result that suits your palate.
As alternatives, the most immediate are the Grind & Brew by Philips or Russell Hobbs. There are not many models on the market that combine a large capacity, over a litre and a half, with the grinder. And remember that you can always see more alternatives in our guide to filter coffee machines with a built-in grinder.
It is also inevitable to compare it with the other coffee makers in the Melitta Aroma line: Melitta Aroma Elegance and Melitta Aroma Signature. All three are the top of the range of German filter coffee machines, well above those of the Look series, but the essential difference lies in the option for the Melitta Aroma Fresh to use freshly ground coffee without having a separate grinder at home.