Name: Aroma Elegance
Capacity: 1.25 litres
The Aroma Elegance model is, together with the Aroma Signature, in the top range of Melitta drip coffee machines. Its stainless steel housing and performance far above average in this segment of coffee machines make the Melitta Aroma Elegance a machine designed to last for many years and for intensive use by filter coffee lovers. The more coffee you drink at home, the more you will get out of a high-end machine like this. Melitta Aroma Elegance Deluxe
We start, as usual in our analyses, by reviewing the exterior appearance of this coffee maker. The Melitta Aroma Elegance opts for a unique distribution of the elements on a platform/base, which is very common in large drip coffee machines. This means that the control panel is visible on the front of the unit, and the removable elements (decanter, filter holder, water tank) are easily accessible.
This “control panel” on the Melitta Aroma Elegance is actually nothing more than the start switch and the descaling warning (both with indicator lights). Still, as we shall see later on, there are other advanced models of this same coffee machine, which do need a greater number of buttons and controls, and which will be arranged in this same spare space. You can see this in more detail in the following photograph:
And how does a premium drip-coffee machine, such as this Melitta Aroma Elegance, differ from a conventional coffee maker? Mainly because of features such as the decalcification programme – with warning included -, the ability to set the water hardness level, and the undeniable quality of the manufacturing materials.
The filter holder, covered in stainless steel like the rest of the coffee machine, is pivotable, and we can turn it to easily access to replace the 1×4 filters inside.
The water tank has the normal capacity of a large coffee machine (1.25 litres). Still, the particular distribution of the elements in the Melitta Aroma Elegance allows us to see it almost completely and always know how much water is left or how much we have used.
Of course, it has the traditional indications on the sidewalls that will serve as a reference when filling it. Thanks to them, we can see two scales, one for normal-sized cups (up to 10) and another for short-sized cups or espresso (up to a maximum of 15).
Melitta Aroma Elegance Deluxe
In addition to its basic version (Melitta Aroma Elegance), this coffee machine can be purchased with two very juicy extras that many users will surely be interested in reviewing.
Firstly, we must say that the Aroma Elegance has a conventional glass carafe to store freshly served coffee. Still, we can choose the Aroma Elegance Therm model, which includes a thermal carafe. You already know that the thermal carafes guarantee us to keep the temperature of the coffee for more time once extracted.
On the other hand, we must stop at the Melitta Aroma Elegance Deluxe version. In this case, the name Deluxe indicates that the coffee maker includes, in addition to all the features already mentioned, a timer so that we can program its start at the time that suits us best.
We can also program the ignition of the heating plate on the base… very useful, for example, to start heating the coffee minutes before getting up in the morning, or a little before we get home after a hard day’s work.
As you can see in the picture below, both the controls and the timer screen are located in the main body of the coffee machine, above the on/off and decalcification buttons. There are two buttons on the timer: one to indicate the hours (H) and one for the minutes (M). In addition, when in operation, the Deluxe model distributes a power of 1520 watts for 1000 of the standard Aroma Elegance.
Both options, Aroma Elegance Therm and Aroma Elegance Deluxe, are noticeable improvements over the basic model, and the price difference with the latter is quite small. See for yourself as you read this analysis, and draw your own conclusions.
Melitta Aroma Elegance: Main characteristics
- Main housing and filter holder made of stainless steel. Base and top cover in black plastic.
- Removable water tank with 1.25 litre capacity and water level indicator.
- Pivoting and removable filter holder.
- Includes glass jug in the basic Melitta Aroma Elegance model, and thermal jug in the Aroma Elegance Therm model.
- Exclusive aroma control that guarantees the maximum intensity of our coffee even when preparing small quantities.
- The level of water hardness can be programmed and configured.
- Heating plate on the base where the glass carafe is placed (or the thermal carafe, depending on the case).
- Integrated decalcification programme, including warnings when a cleaning cycle is required.
- Removable parts can be put in the dishwasher.
- Automatic switch-off function after 40 minutes of inactivity.
- Includes 3 year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Operating power: 1o00 watts (1520 on Deluxe model).
- Dimensions: 27 x 30 x 34 cms.
- Approximate weight: 2.8 kilos.
Advantages of the Melitta Aroma Elegance
- It is not common for a drip coffee machine to include warnings and automatic decalcification cycles.
- The most important parts of the coffee machine are made of stainless steel.
- We find the Aroma Elegance Deluxe model particularly interesting because of the small price difference it has compared to the standard one. It is invaluable to be able to enjoy a timer in a coffee maker of these characteristics.
Disadvantages of the Melitta Aroma Elegance
- It is a larger and more difficult to locate than a conventional drip coffee maker.
- The design of the plastic handle of the jug does not seem to us to be the most ergonomic or comfortable we have seen…
- The Aroma Elegance is a high-end coffee maker and therefore its price is high. Many users may not be compensated and have enough of a less powerful but also cheaper coffee maker.
Melitta Aroma Elegance: Videos
In this commercial video (with texts in French), we can see in greater detail the main features of the Aroma Elegance Deluxe model:
Why buy a Melitta Aroma Elegance?
Coffee machines with filters as powerful – and expensive – as this one can only be aimed at true amateurs and lovers of this method of coffee extraction. If this is your case, and you also need to brew a large amount of coffee at the end of the week (let’s say you consume a deposit a day), then the investment in this Melitta Aroma Elegance is more than justified, and you will pay for it in a short time.
When talking about the Melitta Aroma Elegance, we must inevitably turn to the Aroma Signature, the only model superior to this one among all Melitta drip coffee makers. The main differences between the Signature and the Elegance are as follows:
- Audible warnings at the end of any process.
- Possibility of programming the period of inactivity after which the coffee machine switches itself off.
- It has two boilers: one to maintain the temperature of the coffee and the other to heat the water.
- Safety lock on the filter.
Similarly, we must confess that in our opinion, the Deluxe model of the Aroma Elegance is quite comparable to the Aroma Signature. It is up to you to review our analyses and decide how close you are to each other.
Apart from the aforementioned Aroma Signature, the closest alternatives to the Aroma Elegance are found outside the German firm Melitta. We are referring to the MoccaMaster KBG741 or the Siemens TC80104.