Capacity: 1.5 litres
I’m sure many readers know Krups. The German company enjoys a great reputation in our sector, not only because of the extensive catalogue of its own coffee machines but also because it manufactures other very popular brands such as Dolce Gusto or Nespresso, for example. This model that we review today is the Krups Opio, also called Krups Opio Steam&Pump.
The aim of this model is simple: to offer a quality and affordable alternative for those users who need an espresso machine for their home without leaving their rooms behind. And the truth is that the Krups Opio achieves this, especially considering that Krups is a firm that has been very much oriented towards the super-automatic sector lately.
The official nomenclature of Krups Opio is Krups XP3208, and it is a machine that replaces older models such as the Krups Steam&Pump XP3440. In the following sections, we will get to know it in-depth, but we will tell you in advance that it does not offer great novelties or innovations to the sector. Rather, it seems that Krups has put its efforts into offering a machine that is as cheap as possible.
Krups Opio XP320810: Economy above all
At first glance, this Krups Opio is a very compact machine, with very small dimensions and with a plastic body that is very easy to walk on. Not that we criticise it, because the truth is that a huge percentage of home armoured coffee machines have similar shapes.
In general, these machines do not lack, but neither do they have too much of anything. It has exactly what a medium-low profile user can demand in his home (making a decent espresso in the morning and little else). The steamer lance, the cup warming tray, the ease of use… all very standard.
The Krups Opio XP3208 has virtues such as the generous capacity of the tank. Still, on the other hand, it also has incomprehensible faults, such as not being able to put single-dose ESE bags in the larger filter (the one for double espressos).
The control panel of the Krups XP3208, as shown in the picture below, is quite simple. There are no buttons (only one, which serves to activate the steamer function), and everything is controlled through a three-position operating dial: steam, coffee extraction, and the general on/off switch. On the right, we also see three small lights that act as an indicator of the machine’s status at any given time. In short, there are no complications, even if this is the first time you have had a coffee maker of this type in your home.
Krups Opio XP3208: Main features
- Italian 15 bar pressure pump.
- Black plastic bodywork.
- 1.5 litre water tank. It is transparent, and can logically be removed from the rear body of the maker for cleaning or refilling.
- Upper cup warmer tray (not very large, but sufficient for a couple of pieces).
- Aluminium anti-drip grid.
- Includes as an accessory a pressing-dosing spoon.
- Manual steamer for emulsifying milk on the spot.
- The machine comes with a set of two filters: a smaller one for normal espressos, and a larger one for double espressos.
- Automatic switch-off function.
- Allows you to make one or two coffees at the same time.
- Maximum power: 2200 watts.
- Approximate dimensions: 30 x 38 x 23 cms.
- Weight: 3,2 kilograms.
Advantages of the Krups Opio coffee machine
- The size of the water tank, with a litre and a half, is very good for this segment of economical coffee machines.
- The price is certainly a plus for this model. Cost reduction means reaching a wider audience, which is what Krups was looking for with this launch.
- It is always appreciated that the armoured coffee machines have a space to preheat the cups – or glasses – before serving… even if it is small, as it is the case with this model.
Disadvantages of the Krups Opio coffee machine
- We do not like the fact that the steamer has a plastic nozzle.
- The materials and finishes are not much, but it is what we can expect from a low-cost coffee maker.
- It is not compatible with ESE single-dose machines, when most of these machines already allow the use of these bags in the larger filter (the one for double espressos).
How the Krups Opio coffee machine works
Well, the operation of this Krups Opio XP320810 coffee machine is no mystery, as it performs the same functions like any other standard armoured coffee machine. However, we have enclosed a video explaining it for those less initiated in the subject:
Is Krups Opio XP3208 worth buying? Opinions
The manufacturer presents Krups Opio as a “perfect machine for making cappuccinos and creamy coffees“, but in reality, it is a normal espresso maker, which is not very different from its competition, with obvious shortcomings (especially in terms of materials and finishes) but which more than fulfils its purpose and the functions one would expect when buying such an economical machine.
It seems that Krups has lowered the level of its reference manual espresso machine a little compared to the previous models, but also, the price is more adjusted. We can’t say that this is a mistake. Maybe that’s what people are looking for and what the market forces.
At present, the greatest competition from this type of machine (the low-end machines of the big brands) is from Spanish firms such as Cecotec or Ikohs. You can check models such as Cecotec Caffelizzia, Cecotec Power Espresso Matic or Ikohs Barismatic to check and decide for yourself.