Name: Steam & Pump
Capacity: 1.1 litres
- Patented Krups "tamping system" for perfect espresso
- Universal filter holder: suitable for 1-2 cups
- 15 bar pump pressure
- Special steam nozzle for optimal milk foam
- Capacity water tank 1.1 l (removable)
The Krups Steam & Pump or Krups XP3440 is a very compact 15-bar pressure espresso machine, which also has a steamer and temperature control accessory. The latter two are the main quality features of the machine, and the details that distinguish it from other models in a similar price range.
It is a coffee maker that uses the Thermoblock system to heat the water, instead of using a traditional boiler. It is also called Krups Calvi Meca XP3440.
In terms of performance and price, we can include the Krups Steam & Pump in the medium or medium-high range of manually operated espresso coffee machines, although it has some differences -both for and against- with respect to the range of options and functions usually found in this segment of coffee machines. We will analyse them in more detail below:
Its control panel, as you can see in the following picture, is really simple. This is also a must due to the small space and the necessary economy of elements that govern the design of this Krups Steam & Pump.
You can see a single rotary knob which is used to select the main functions of the coffee machine: start-up, coffee brewing, steamer and temperature control. A little further down, in generous size, we see the on/off switch.
We have to emphasize, above all, the reduced dimensions of this coffee maker which is only 14 centimetres wide. An unbeatable alternative if we are looking for an espresso machine that takes up little space in our kitchen.
The steamer tube of the Krups Steam & Pump is on the right – as we look at the coffee machine from the front – and its dimensions seem somewhat larger due to the compact module where it is located. This means that sometimes we have to tilt the cup or freshly brewed milk to be able to insert the steamer tube inside it. It all depends, in any case, on what types and sizes of containers we use for this purpose.
The Krups Calvi Steam & Pump comes with a magnificent steel filter holder and the obligatory two filters (a smaller one for espressos, a larger one for double or long coffees). We particularly liked the sensation of robustness and quality of these two elements, which are the ones that in the end intervene most directly in the process of making espresso coffee.
The water tank, with a capacity of 1.1 litres, is located at the back of the machine and therefore follows a traditional layout. If we want to refill or clean it, we can remove it, or simply remove the black plastic cover that covers the whole top of the machine and leaves an interesting compartment where we can store the filter that we are not using.
This is how the Krups Steam & Pump coffee maker looks, seen from a zenithal perspective and removing the top cover:
Krups Steam & Pump: Main features
- 15 bar pressure pump
- Built with plastic and stainless steel.
- Removable drip tray.
- Lid or top cover in black plastic.
- Removable water tank with 1.1-litre capacity.
- Steel filter holder and filters. There are two filters: one for single coffees and another for making two cups or a double espresso.
- We can determine the temperature through an electronic control.
- To heat the water, use the usual Thermoblock system.
- It includes a steamer tube to prepare a delicious milk foam instantly.
- It weighs around 3 kilos.
- Dimensions: 31 x 14 x 28 centimetres.
- Power: 1460 watts.
Advantages of the Krups Calvi Steam & Pump
- Very compact dimensions. In particular, it is a very narrow coffee maker (barely 14 centimetres from end to end) that fits into any kitchen or small space.
- The possibility of adjusting the coffee extraction temperature with a single control.
- The stainless steel finishes, which inevitably affect the final price, but are a guarantee of quality and durability.
- Very good quality in the materials of the filter holder and of the two filters (fundamental elements in the extraction of an espresso).
Disadvantages of the Krups Steam & Pump Calvi
- It is so small that if we want to prepare two cups at once we will have trouble placing the containers on the tray. Either they are very small cups, or we will have a really difficult time.
- The water tank barely exceeds the litre capacity. Without being able to describe it as “small”, it is a little far from the tanks of other coffee machines of this range, which are close to the litre and a half. This is another benefit of such a compact coffee machine.
Why Buy a Krups Steam & Pump?
Throughout this report, we have already explained the main advantages of this Krups Calvi Steam & Pump: its small size and the possibility of controlling the temperature by means of an electronic control. The stainless steel finishes or the good quality of the filter holder are, without a doubt, a plus that the user should appreciate.
We recommend it if you need a really small or compact quality coffee maker. If you have little room in your kitchen, or need to transport it here and there, the Krups Steam & Pump is an ideal coffee machine for you.
Alternatively, you can look at a top-of-the-line model from Krups, the famous Krups Expert Pro Inox or other mid-range espressos that are very similar to it, such as the Saeco Nina or the Delonghi EC-155. None of them have electronic temperature control (in case you don’t mind giving up that option in exchange for saving a few pounds on your purchase).
NOTE: you can also find this coffee maker under the name Krups Calvi Steam Pump Compact.