Capacity: 1 cup
From time to time, models of coffee machines appear on the market that revolutionize the concepts known up to now, and turn all the standards upside down. This is the case with the Flair Espresso coffee machine, a revolutionary proposal that will excite espresso lovers, and above all those who want to make their own coffee at home.
The Flair Espresso machine is not yet very well known, because it is not the typical coffee machine that you find in any big shop. For now, you can only buy it on their website or buy the Flair Espresso at Amazon (not always in stock).
This is a completely manual espresso machine (but 100% manual, i.e. without an electric appliance), whose aim is to make a perfect, pure espresso, as required by the rules. To do this, it does not use the traditional pressure pump of electric coffee makers, but a crank or piston, which is operated manually and produces a pressure of between 6 and 10 bars.
And all this without pods, without plugs, without electricity and without consumption of any kind beyond the water and ground coffee you use. A 100% manual coffee machine. How is this possible? Well, we’ll find out more about it below.
Flair Espresso coffee machine: detachable… and portable
The first thing that catches the eye of our Flair Espresso machine is its appearance. The design does not include any accessories, but only the essentials: the filter head where the ground coffee is deposited, the lever that acts as a crank, and an aluminium grill for placing the cup or glass on top of it. Nothing else.
The direct consequence of this risky gamble is that the Flair Espresso takes up very little space, and also (thanks to its simplicity) can be dismantled, stored in a case, and reassembled at any time – the possibilities this gives us are endless! You can take your favourite coffee machine with you, on holiday, on trips, excursions… wherever you go. The bag or briefcase in which it is stored is really tiny.
All the components of the Flair Espresso coffee machine are of high quality, the materials chosen are always resistant, and it also comes in various colours and finishes so that you can choose the option that best suits the style of your kitchen.
When you buy your Flair Espresso, you will have 3 versions available:
- Flair Classic: the basic model, which includes a normal filter and a carrying bag.
- Flair Signature: the same as the previous one but with an additional filter for making double espressos.
- Flair Signature Pro: adds a pressure gauge to control the extraction pressure, and both the filters and the anti-drip screen are made of stainless steel.
Flair Espresso coffee machine: general features
- Components made of solid, high quality aluminium. Also in stainless steel, if we choose one of the superior versions.
- These components are the base, the anti-drip grid, the delivery cylinder, the filter, and the lever.
- It includes a single filter (or double, in higher versions).
- Available in three different finishes or versions.
- No water tank: with each extraction we have to use the exact amount of water for each coffee.
- All versions include a carrying case to take your Flair Espresso with you wherever you go.
- Approximate weight: 3.1 kilograms.
- Dimensions of the piece: 32 x 23 x 8 cms.
Advantages of the Flair Espresso
- Once you’ve mastered it, the quality of the espresso is hard to match with a traditional armoured coffee maker.
- You can take it apart and take it with you wherever you want without taking up any space.
- The simplicity of the design itself makes all its components particularly easy to clean.
Disadvantages of Flair Espresso
- The price is not particularly affordable, but it should be borne in mind that this is a very exclusive coffee machine and not for everyone.
- The learning curve is necessarily longer than that of a conventional maker.
- It forces you to heat the water yourself before making the espresso.
- It only allows you one espresso at a time, i.e. it has no water tank.
How the Flair Espresso machine works
This is probably the most interesting point for readers who want to buy a Flair Espresso at Amazon. If you want to make sure you know how to use the Flair Espresso, just watch the following video:
We will also give you some additional tips to help you get the most out of your Flair coffee machine from the start:
Tips for using the Flair Espresso Signature
- To ensure that you are doing the process correctly, you should take between 30 and 45 seconds to do the extraction, without encountering much or little resistance when you lower the handle. Above or below this figure will mean that some parameter of the extraction is not working as it should: the grinding is not correct, the force you have used is not adequate, and so on.
- If you hardly find any resistance when you lower the handle, it means that the grind is too coarse or the coffee dose is too low. In this case, you will notice that the extraction process takes too little time.
- It is essential that you preheat both the brewing cylinder and the stainless steel piston yourself before you start making coffee. Simply fill it with hot water and wait for about 30 to 40 seconds before starting.
- Always use coffee beans, and grind them at home with a coffee grinder to produce a fine espresso-grade coffee. Pre-grinded coffee packs will not work well with Flair Espresso.
Why buy a Flair Espresso machine? Price and conclusions
It’s not easy to buy a Flair Espresso, because Amazon doesn’t always have it in stock, and if you buy it from the official website you must make sure that they will send it to you without exorbitant costs.
At least there are other coffee makers that introduce a similar concept, and that can work very well as alternatives to the Flair Espresso in case we don’t have another option. These include the Aerobie Aeropress, the Kamira coffee machine, the Rok Espresso or the La Pavoni piston coffee machines.
This is a coffee machine, as you may have read throughout the review, which is not for everyone. Low profile consumers, who are in the majority in our country, will find it expensive and too complex.
However, those who really enjoy espresso and like to make it at home and try different variants will find this Flair Espresso machine a more or less affordable and simple instrument to obtain top quality coffees. You will be able to get rid of all the accessories and keep only the essentials.
Recommended only for those consumers who are willing to make an extra effort (in terms of learning) and practice with their machine everything necessary to achieve perfect, high quality espressos in their own home.