Brand: Dolce Gusto
Capacity: 1 litre
- Automatic, ultra-compact capsule coffee machine 18 x 22 x 37 x cm (W x D x H) with a 1 L water tank
- High-pressure coffee machine (up to 15 bars) for professional quality coffees with a thick velvety crema
- Over 40 coffee creations and other delicious hot and cold beverages prepared with one easy push of a button. Voltage 230 V, 50 Hz
- Drink size adjustable with the automatic function
- Eco-mode: automatic switch-off after 1 minute; energy consumption rating A+
Punctual to its annual appointment, with the arrival of Christmas the Dolce Gusto firm puts new models of capsule coffee machines on the market. For this 2017, the main novelty is called Dolce Gusto Lumio, and it is presented with a groundbreaking design. If you plan to buy a Dolce Gusto Lumio online soon, pay attention to this guide because we are going to get to know it better.
The Dolce Gusto Lumio is an automatic coffee machine (i.e. it includes the Play&Select system) with 15 bars of pressure and a capacity of 1 litre. Krups manufacture it, so it is not unusual to find it under the name Krups Lumio, or Krups Dolce Gusto Lumio.
It can prepare both hot and cold drinks (there is a button for each mode) and has a special compartment where used capsules are placed. The latter function means that you don’t have to worry about throwing away each capsule as soon as you make a cup of coffee. All you must do is empty the container of the used single-dose cups from time to time to prevent it from getting full.
But without a doubt, what is most striking about the Dolce Gusto Lumio coffee maker is its design. The coffee machine is quite compact, like the successful Mini Me, and stands out above all because of the large central hole that allows you to see the inside of the water tank at all times. It is original, and it is beautiful. It’s a real hit.
We also highlight the base where the entire Lumio coffee maker sits, much more extensive than in other coffee machines from the firm, and which is just where the remains of the preparations are deposited.
The Lumio does not offer any significant new features in terms of functionality (but it does look good) compared to previous Dolce Gusto models. But, unlike some of the launches in past years, its initial price is sufficiently adjusted for many people to compensate for the change or at least think about it.
Links of interest about Dolce Gusto coffee makers
If you are buying a Dolce Gusto coffee maker for the first time, or if you are already a Dolce Gusto user but would like to learn more, you will want to look at the following relevant articles:
- Dolce Gusto Problem Solving
- Colours of Dolce Gusto Coffee Makers
- All Dolce Gusto Coffee Machine Instruction Manuals
- Differences between automatic and manual Dolce Gusto coffee machines
- Colour coding of the light on Dolce Gusto coffee machines
Krups Dolce Gusto Lumio: Colours and prices
Initially, the new Dolce Gusto Lumio coffee maker was launched in these three colours: red, black and white. Later in 2017, the model continued the brand’s classic tones. If you are going to buy the Dolce Gusto Lumio at Amazon, you can choose from the three versions with very slight price variations between them, as you can see:
Comparison Dolce Gusto Lumio vs Eclipse vs Movenza
We are going to tell the truth; it must be said that the coffee makers that preceded this Lumio (Eclipse and Movenza, back in 2016) were not as successful as expected. And the reason was none other than their price.
These were coffee machines with a spectacular design, and with some exciting technical novelties compared to the previous Dolce Gusto coffee machines. Still, the price was too high, and consumers chose to get models like the Stelia (2015) or the Oblo (2014) that due to the novelties were lowered in price.
On this occasion, it seems that Nestlé has learned its lesson, and the launch price of the Lumio is under 100 Pounds, a very reasonable amount for an automatic machine.
If we compare the Lumio vs Dolce Gusto Eclipse, we see that the main differences are in size. The Dolce Gusto Lumio is much less bulky and easy to place in any corner of the kitchen. It has the same capacity (1 litre), and both are automatic, so to the question which Dolce Gusto coffee maker should I buy? Eclipse or Lumio? Our answer would always be the Lumio, which is more recent, better priced, and functionally identical to the other.
Of course, we must also wait for the traditional price reductions suffered by old coffee machines as a result of new launches. B01J7X6QZS
Dolce Gusto Lumio: Main characteristics
- Dolce Gusto capsule coffee maker with 15 bar pressure.
- Available in three colours: black, white and red.
- Removable water tank with 1-litre capacity.
- Play&Select system: start the coffee machine and forget about it. The machine stops the flow of water automatically.
- XL function for extra-long coffees.
- Allows hot and cold drinks to be brewed.
- Removable drip tray
- The tray on which the cup sits can be raised or lowered to accommodate different sized cups or glasses.
- Decalcification alarm: the button on the Dolce Gusto Lumio turns orange/yellow to warn you to decalcify it.
- Energy-saving: it turns itself off after 1 minute of inactivity.
- Approximate dimensions 37 x 18 x 22 cms.
- Weight: 3.2 kg.
- Power consumption: 1500 watts.
Advantages of the Dolce Gusto Lumio
- The new XL function for making extra-long coffees. Perfect for lovers of huge cups.
- Dolce Gusto has managed to bring together a lot of functions in a rather small and very compact coffee machine.
- The orange light on the button acts as a decalcification warning.
- The tank size (1 litre) is significant for what is usual for Dolce Gusto machines.
Disadvantages of the Dolce Gusto Lumio
- We do not see any significant new developments or innovations in the Lumio technical field compared to the launches of other years.
- If you don’t like the design, it might be more profitable to buy a Mini Me, which is cheaper and will do the same for you.
Dolce Gusto Lumio: How it works
If you want to know how the Dolce Gusto Lumio is used, take a look at this sales presentation of the brand itself:
On the other hand, if you need to see it live, nothing better than this recording of a user to see for yourself how this Dolce Gusto Lumio works:
Why Buy a Dolce Gusto Lumio?
Year after year, history repeats itself: shortly before Christmas, Dolce Gusto launches its new capsule coffee machines. And the truth is that, except for the apparent bets on eye-catching designs, we don’t find many new features or functions that encourage us to “change” machines if we already have one of the old ones.
If this is the first Dolce Gusto coffee machine you are going to buy, then we can recommend the Lumio. It is beautiful, small, has a reasonable price, and enough features so that you don’t miss anything when preparing your Dolce Gusto coffee capsules.
However, if you already know some of the previous models, this one does not provide much. If anything, the XL function that has been added to the Play&Select automatic system, which allows Dolce Gusto to approach lovers of great American coffees brazenly, is a highlight.
Is the Dolce Gusto Lumio worth buying online? Well, to make a gift or to make your debut with this brand, yes, we think it is a good option. But if you go for the practical, the Dolce Gusto Mini Me (cheaper) can be just as valid.
NOTE: From now on, start to follow closely the previous Dolce Gusto automatic coffee machines (Stelia, Drop, Movenza and Eclipse) because it is possible that they will go down a lot in price with this new “competitor”.