Name: BCO 260
Capacity: 1.2 litres
The Delonghi BCO 260 is a somewhat old but still highly functional combi machine: its basic features remain intact, and its price has been considerably reduced compared to other more recent models of the same firm and line, such as the BCO 420 (in fact, any combi in the Delonghi BCO series can serve as a reference). Despite the time that has passed since its launch, the Delonghi BCO 260 continues to be a mid-high range combi at a competitive price.
Like almost all the other vans on the market, the Delonghi BCO 260 has an integrated espresso and drip coffee service. The espresso service gives us everything we ask for (it works with a 15 bar pressure pump, no mid-range or hydro-pressure systems to get out of the way). The drip coffee service has some interesting qualities, such as the convenience of the removable water tank… which in a regular coffee machine is a very common thing, but which we don’t always find in the vans.
It is also possible not to remove but to pivot the filter holder in order to access the coffee filter and replace or refill it. It works with 1×4 size filters (no permanent filter included, so you will have to use the paper ones). We can see this detail better in one of the photographs that illustrate this report later on.
The capacity of both systems is also generous: 1.3 litres for the drip coffee machine and 1.2 litres for the espresso tank. Exactly the same features you would find when buying two individual coffee machines.
The drip coffee maker can also be programmed to prepare coffee up to 24 hours in advance, thanks to the integrated timer. This timer does not have a digital display to control it, as is the case with other later models, but the fact is that its operation is not complicated either.
Delonghi BCO 260: two coffee machines in one
We can talk about the Delonghi BCO 260 as a true symbiosis of “two coffee machines in one”. There is not a single function or even the slightest detail that reminds us that we are using a combi. The power and functionality of both services are the same as if they were purchased in two separate coffee machines, a manual espresso machine and a drip machine.
In addition, we have to point out what we believe is one of the greatest virtues of this Delonghi BCO 260: the filter holder of the espresso service has two ladles, one for single espressos and one for double espressos. In the latter, which is larger, we can also use ESE single-dose bags, which multiplies the possibilities of an already very versatile coffee machine. You can enjoy the advantages of single-dose bags, but you will not be 100% dependent on them. By the way, you can also use the Senseo single-dose bags for this coffee maker… the range expands to unsuspected limits.
The control panel with which we handle the set is quite simple. It consists of the main rotary control and various lights that warn us of the basics: if the coffee machine is on or off, if the water is already hot, and so on.
Please also note that with the Delonghi BCO 260 you can use both coffee services at the same time, as each uses its own separate water tank.
Delonghi BCO 260: main features
- Made of black ABS plastic.
- Espresso machine with 15 bar pressure.
- It allows to make 1 or 2 cups of espresso at a time.
- The water tank of the drip coffee maker has a capacity of 1.3 litres. As we can see in the photo above, it is removable.
- The water level is visible at all times.
- It is possible to prepare hot water thanks to the integrated steamer. Also, of course, we can froth the fresh milk on the spot.
- The water tank for the espresso service has a capacity of 1.2 litres.
- The filter of the espresso machine is compatible with the classic ESE single-dose bags.
- Pivoting filter holder (can be easily removed from the coffee machine for refilling or convenient cleaning).
- The filter coffee maker can brew an amount of coffee equivalent to about 10 cups.
- It uses 1×4 size paper filters.
- Timer for programming the start up up up to 24 hours in advance.
- Aroma (intensity) selector on the drip coffee maker.
- Removable anti-drip tray in the espresso area.
- The whole piece weighs about 5 kg.
- Approximate dimensions: 38 x 24 x 35 cms.
- Power: 1750 watts.
- Includes one year manufacturer’s warranty.
Advantages of the Delonghi BCO 260
- Compatibility with ESE single-dose and also with Senseo system pods.
- The excellent service offered separately by the drip coffee machine and the filter coffee machine, even though they are combined in the same compact design appliance.
- To be able to prepare two or three different types of coffee at the same time.
- Good design and stability: the coffee machine hardly vibrates and the cups hardly move when the espressos are removed.
Disadvantages of the Delonghi BCO 260
- Very low height to put cups under the coffee spout (whose position is fixed, not adjustable).
- There is no compartment for storing the dispensers.
- It has a good quality/price ratio, but it is a model that has been around for several years and has been overtaken by other more recent models (in the same Delonghi BCO line).
- If you want to froth the milk you probably have to use the steamer a couple of times to get the optimum temperature. The texture is correct, but it feels like it’s not hot enough.
Delonghi BCO 260: videos
We have not found any video on the web about the Delonghi BCO 260, but we have found a demonstration of the use of the Delonghi BCO 130T, a combi with very similar looks and features.
Why buy a Delonghi BCO 260?
The Delonghi BCO 260 is great for basic services: if you only need to make filter coffee or espresso, you will certainly have made a good purchase. However, if you like to enjoy some mixed drinks or specialities from time to time (cappuccinos and so on)… thanks to the steamer you will also be able to prepare them, but bear in mind that it will take a lot more time and the process will depend entirely on your skill and knowledge.
We recommend it if you are going to use both services frequently: espresso and drip coffee. It is very suitable, for example, for families with several coffee drinkers and different tastes or needs, or for workers’ buildings (offices and so on) where you need to meet a very diverse demand with the same coffee machine.
As alternatives, we can undoubtedly recommend the Krups YY8203, with the same features but with a slightly higher profile, or the Ufesa CK7355, the same but with a slightly lower profile.