the best When we talk about Sage coffee machines, it is easy to make a mistake, since it is the name with which the Breville group distributes its machines in some countries. Sage Appliances, which is the name of the brand, has many references in its catalogue related to the kitchen and the home, but in the sector we are dealing with its speciality is espresso machines, and more specifically, high-end espresso machines. The “good ones”.
Almost all Sage espresso machines are stainless steel models, the majority of which have a large capacity (around 2 litres of tank), and which pay special attention to aspects such as the precision of the extraction temperature, or the possibility for the user to enjoy freshly ground coffee.
It should also be noted that Sage Appliances is the manufacturer of some emblematic models of other brands in certain countries, such as Breville, or the well-known Nespresso Creatista. It is therefore not unusual to find, both at Amazon and in other stores, a Sage coffee machine identical to another brand, but under a different name. It is simply the same piece, but with a different manufacturer and distributor. We have already said that Sage is only the name under which Breville distributes its coffee machines in some European regions.
Before we start to shell each model, let’s know the prices of Sage coffee machines according to the current rates:
Sage Barista Pro coffee maker
The differences between these three versions of the Sage Barista coffee machine are as follows.
- The Express has the largest integrated grinder: 450 grams capacity.
- The Touch, as its name suggests, has a touch screen that serves as a control panel. It has no buttons. The Pro has a display (but it is only informative, not operational) and the Express only includes buttons and a temperature display.
- The Express is the most “basic”, while the Touch is the most advanced as it includes several predefined automatic preparations. It also allows you to choose the temperature and density of the milk foam.
The three models include a water tank of 2 litres capacity, and polished stainless steel body.
- Intuitive interface: LCD display with grinding and extracting progress animations. The screen provides you all the precise information you need to make coffee exactly the way you like it, every time.
- Faster heat up time: innovative ThermoJet heating system achieves the optimum extraction temperature in 3-seconds with instantaneous transition from espresso to steam. Ready to make your best coffee...
- Integrated conical burr grinder: with a single touch, the integrated conical burr grinder with dose control delivers the right amount of coffee on demand, for maximum flavour. Adjustable grind size...
- Precise espresso extraction: digital temperature control (PID) delivers water at the right temperature +/- 1°C, ensuring optimal espresso extraction. Low pressure pre-infusion gradually increases...
- Micro-foam milk texturing: the powerful steam wand performs at the level that allows you to hand texture micro-foam milk that enhances flavour and enables creation of latté art.
Sage Duo Temp Pro coffee maker
This model Duo Temp has more modest qualities than the previous one. Its appearance is also more basic, and reminds much more of traditional espresso machines, with a clean control panel and few buttons. However, when you buy your Sage Duo Temp, you will still have access to very interesting features, such as
- Pre-infusion system for ground coffee.
- Decalcification alarms: the coffee machine itself warns you when it needs to be cleaned, or the drip tray emptied.
- Dosage of between 19 and 22 grams of ground coffee in each filter.
- Electronic control of the extraction temperature (PID).
- Micro-foamed milk: much more powerful spray than that of a normal coffee machine.
Sage Oracle Touch coffee maker
For the most demanding users, Sage markets the Oracle model. It is a high-end espresso machine, much more complete than the Barista Touch version, and we could call it a semi-automatic one.
To understand the differences, take a look at what this machine can do different from the Barista:
- It has a system that grinds, doses and presses the ground coffee directly into the filter. The user hardly has to do anything, press a button.
- Water tank of 2.5 litres.
- Grinder capacity: 280 grams.
- Hot water and long American coffee function.
- Double stainless steel boiler.
In summary, in this model, we find all the virtues of a superautomatic coffee machine, but without stopping enjoying the purity of an armoured coffee machine. At a price that is not very affordable, it has to be said.
- SWIPE. SELECT. ENJOY: With automation at every stage, simply swipe and select for espresso, long black, latte, flat white or cappuccino and enjoy café quality coffee at home
- DOSE AMOUNT: The integrated conical burr grinder automatically grinds, doses and tamps 22 g of coffee, similar to the commercial machine in your favourite cafe
- PRECISE WATER TEMPERATURE: The Oracle Touch uses digital temperature control (PID) technology, this ensures the temperature is kept at its optimum range coupled with dual stainless-steel boilers and a...
- OPTIMAL WATER PRESSURE: Limits the maximum pressure throughout the extraction, helping prevent bitter flavours in the coffee shot
- SUFFICIENT STEAM PRESSURE: The steam wand, powered by a dedicated steam boiler, automatically textures milk to your taste and preferred temperature, delivering barista quality silky micro-foam that...
Sage Bambino Plus coffee maker
The Sage Bambino Plus is Sage’s compact coffee machine. It offers the same essential features as the others, but dispenses with everything superfluous in a domestic coffee machine in order to reduce the size of the body to the minimum. For example, in this model, we do not find the integrated grinder.
It has 15 bars of pressure, 54 millimetres filter holder, pre-infusion system and digital control of the extraction temperature (PID).
Sage coffee grinder
For those who have a coffee machine at home without a grinder (many Sage coffee machines carry one), there is also the option of taking the Sage coffee grinder.
It is a high-end, semi-professional grinder with 60 different settings and enormous precision. Obviously, it is an appliance designed specifically to grind coffee for espresso.
The hopper allows us to store up to 450 grams of coffee beans, and also includes an automatic dispenser that ensures that we always serve the same dose of coffee in our cup or directly into the filter of the coffee machine. The dispenser can be adjusted at intervals of 0.2 seconds. This model mounts conical stainless steel grinding wheels.
Why buy a Sage coffee maker?
Sage coffee machines are the best choice for true espresso lovers, those consumers who really enjoy all the steps (from preparation to brewing and tasting) of a lifetime espresso, but without leaving home.
The Sage Barista Touch model is one of the best domestic espresso machines on the market at the time of writing. And the rest of the machines offer enough variety to satisfy the demands of any user with a medium-high profile. But one thing must be clear: Sage coffee machines are not basic or cheap coffee machines aimed at the general public.
In short, Sage is a very good alternative to other high-end brands such as Gaggia or Delonghi in this segment.