Keurig coffee machines may still be unknown, but they are none other than the most popular brand of single-dose coffee machines in the United States and the rest of the American continent (yes, even more so than Nespresso).
Keurig is an American company with a number of world-famous brands and subsidiaries, including Starbucks, Dunkin’ Donuts and Green Mountain Coffee. I’m sure you’ve heard of them, haven’t you?
But Keurig’s business doesn’t just stop at the machines. It also sells capsules, filters, glass jars, office coffee machines and all kinds of consumables related to the coffee industry. A real giant in our sector.
On this page we will try to give you an overview, not only to buy a Keurig coffee machine, but to get to know this giant multinational group better.
Characteristics of Keurig coffee machines
Keurig coffee machines have a number of common qualities, which we will outline below. This will help you understand why this brand is so popular in the United States:
- These are very simple coffee machines with only one operating button.
- They only work with K-Cups (Keurig’s exclusive format capsules).
- Water tanks are always removable and usually very large (large capacity).
- Some allow you to choose the coffee outlet temperature.
- Some models are programmable so that you can have your coffee made at the time you want.
- The K-Cups have different sizes, depending on the specialty you choose. This is a feature very focused on the tastes of the American consumer (lover of large and light coffees).
- There are dozens of different flavours and specialities (over 160 according to our latest figures) to choose from. A catalogue unparalleled in the industry. For example, here are a few:
All Keurig coffee machines – Prices and models
When buying a Keurig coffee maker from Amazon, there are several options (unfortunately, difficult to obtain). They are divided into two branches: domestic and commercial Keurig coffee machines. We will focus on the former.
All Keurig coffee machines currently feature Keurig 2.0 technology (an automatic capsule reading model, which allows the coffee machine to know exactly how much water to use for each speciality without the user having to intervene at all).
The current range of Keurig home coffee machines consists of 4 models, which give more modest to more ambitious are ordered as follows:
Keurig K-Mini Plus: the smallest
The Keurig K-Mini Plus coffee machine is the most basic and economical option to enter the world of Keurig capsules. As you can see, it is a hyper-narrow machine, compressed to the maximum, containing the essential features of Keurig technology to enjoy your favourite K-Cups to the full.
Its extremely small size has only one consideration: the water tank can only hold one cup. This means that you have to fill it up every time you make a cup of coffee.
The Keurig K-Mini Plus coffee machine is the perfect choice for singles, people living alone or small flats.
Keurig K-Select coffee machine
The K-Select is already a more conventional option. It has a “Strong” button to select extra intensity in your coffees, and a very generous 1.5 litre water tank.
With this Keurig K-Select coffee machine you can choose from 4 pre-determined coffee sizes: 18, 24, 30 and 35 millilitre cups.
Keurig K-Elite coffee machine
This is an advanced and improved version of the K-Select that we presented earlier. The design and performance of this Keurig K-Elite is very similar, but as you can see from the top, a touch screen has been added which not only controls the machine but also provides information. The touch screen provides information on the status of the machine at all times.
This Keurig K-Elite coffee machine also has a better finish and a larger tank than the previous model (2.2 litres).
In addition, these are some of the advanced features of the Keurig K-Elite that cannot be found in the K-Select:
- Preparation of cold drinks.
- 5 pre-defined cup sizes.
- Timer to start the coffee machine at a time that suits you (indicated in advance).
- Personalisation of the coffee outlet temperature.
- Special configuration for operating at altitude (over 1500 metres).
Keurig K-Café coffee machine
The K-Café is the most exclusive and advanced model of all Keurig domestic coffee machines. It differs from the others, apart from its size, in the possibility of emulsifying milk directly in the machine, and therefore of preparing cappuccinos or lattes quickly and effortlessly.
The water tank is 1.8 litres, and the skimmer can be separated for washing in the dishwasher. In short: an option for the most gourmand and for those who do not settle for “just another cappuccino maker”.
Keurig coffee machines in Mexico
Keurig coffee machines in Mexico follow a nomenclature and market a range of machines different from those of the parent company in the neighbouring country of North America. These are the Keurig 2.0 coffee machines, models K200 (the most popular), K400 and K500. Here we get to know them better:
Keurig 2.0 K200 coffee machine – manual and review
The Keurig K200 coffee machine is the best-selling and most representative of the American brand in Mexico. As it is not as popular in other countries, we are going to focus on its most innovative aspects or those that differentiate it from the capsule machines we know.
- It has a 5 cm wide touch screen.
- The water tank is very large (1.2 litres).
- They can be used either with K-Cup capsules or with the reusable My K-Cup filter.
- The space between the tray and the coffee dispenser is very wide: between 11 cms and 29 cms. Even large cups or glasses can be used.
- They allow you to personalise your coffee: size, intensity, etc.
- Available in three colours.
- They have a single button operation (ultra-simple handling).
If you need to know in more detail how to use the Keurig K200 coffee maker, take a look at its user manual, or directly at the video that accompanies this review.
Keurig K150PMX coffee machine
We won’t be stopping long on this model, as it belongs to Keurig’s commercial series. Keurig office coffee machines find their most practical expression in this K150: a large capacity coffee machine (2.5 litres) for enjoying your favourite Keurig capsules during work breaks or meetings.
Keurig 2.0 K400 coffee machine
Another model compatible with Keurig 2.0 technology: a system capable of reading a code on the lid of each K-Cup, and thus knowing exactly how much water to use for each preparation.
The water tank of the Keurig K400 is slightly smaller than that of the top model K500 (shown below). The water tank of the Keurig K400 is slightly smaller than that of the larger K500 (see below):
Keurig 2.0 K500 coffee machine
This is just the old version or predecessor of the Keurig K-Elite, which we talked about earlier. We will briefly explain its features in case you are interested in it:
- Water tank with a capacity of 2 litres.
- Timer to start the coffee machine at the time you determine in advance.
- Hot water service for infusions.
- You can select the intensity of the coffee you are going to prepare.
- Full colour touch screen.
- Compatible with Keurig’s jug (an accessory that attaches to the coffee maker and allows you to make filter coffee).
Keurig K55 coffee machine
Keurig’s K55 is an older model, but it deserves a place in these pages as it is Keurig’s best-selling coffee machine and one of the most popular single-serve models in the United States.
It is a very functional, economical machine, ideal for students or homes where few people consume coffee. It would be the equivalent of the “basic range” we know from other more popular brands, such as the Inissia in Nespresso, or the Mini Me in Dolce Gusto.
It has a 1.2 litre capacity in the tank, and a very interesting automatic decalcification function that is unusual in this capsule machine industry.
Keurig coffee machines – the capsules
The capsules for Keurig coffee machines are known as K-Cups, and can also be used in other compatible machines (not necessarily Keurig coffee machines) such as those of the Dolché brand.
K-Cup capsules are a unique format, different from others and not compatible with other brands of capsules we know. They have their own shape and size. And apart from that… what makes them different? Well, it’s very simple: they have a paper filter inside and come in different sizes (similar to the Nespresso Vertuo system, which we discussed on our website).
Another distinctive feature of Keurig coffee machine capsules is undoubtedly the enormous variety of coffee and coffee-based specialities presented in their catalogue. You have – literally – dozens of K-Cup capsules to choose from.
If you want to know how the Keurig K-Cup capsules work, just watch this video to understand it better:
Where can I buy Keurig K-Cup capsules?
If you have a Keurig coffee machine, there is nothing easy about buying K-Cup capsules. They are not sold on Amazon and physical shops where they can be found are scarce.
In Mexico, for example, you can buy K-Cups through the Hola Coca Cola application (they deliver them directly to your home, no waiting), or you can find them in a very exclusive list of distribution shops that can be consulted on their website.
Keurig coffee machines: Compatible capsules
There are many manufacturers of compatible brands for Keurig coffee machines K-Cups. For example, Dolché or Starbucks coffee capsules are some of the most representative of those that can be found (which, unfortunately, are far fewer than those that exist in total). Take this selection as a sample:
Keurig coffee machines: Accessories
Every coffee capsule format has its own range of accessories. You know: different sizes and shapes of the capsules, and different operating modes, prevent many accessories from being universal.
Among the star accessories, of any brand, are certainly the refillable capsules, and of course in the case of Keurig capsules they exist as well. Here is a selection of reusable filters that are compatible with Keurig coffee machines and K-Cups (they are all similar):
There are also storage drawers for K-Cups, with a specific size for this single-dose format. Another accessory for Keurig coffee machines if you are a user of one of these machines.
- Holds 36 K-Cup,42 CBTL/Verismo single serve coffee pods
- Forget the cheap wire mesh holders with sticky drawers and flimsy construction
- Place your single serve coffee machine on top to save valuable counter space in your office or your home
- Built to last with attention to detail and superior materials
- One drawer organizes all of your favorite single serve coffee pods