Capacity: 200 grams
Almost all the major brands in the world of coffee machines also market their own coffee grinders for domestic use. This is the case with Melitta and its Melitta Molino. The Melitta grinder stands out for its orientation towards the medium-high user (i.e. it is aimed at consumers who know what they are doing) and stands out for its compact design and wide range of thicknesses.
The Melitta Coffee Grinder is an electric grinder, with a capacity of up to 200 grams of coffee. On the bottom we can see the usual drawer, transparent in this case, where the coffee will be deposited after grinding. In the central part, the main switch of the grinder (On/Off), and at the top a large wheel or dial that serves to specify the amount of coffee to be ground. This quantity is expressed in an equivalence according to the estimated number of cups that we can prepare with the grinding.
As you can see in the image, the minimum is the equivalent of 2 cups, and if we grind the maximum amount that this Melitta Molino allows us, we will have enough to prepare about 14 cups of espresso.
Melitta Molino: 17 levels or grinding settings
We have already said that this Melitta Molino has up to 17 different grinding thicknesses (from 1, the thinnest, to 17 which is the thickest). It is a wider variety than usual in grinders of this price, and can be configured through a wheel located on the left side of the grinder.
In the following picture you can see it in more detail.
The most interesting thing about these 17 ranges is that they are accompanied by a very practical legend, which tells us the thickness we should choose according to the type of coffee we want to prepare with our grinding (for more information, read our post about the types of Coffee Grinding).
As you can see in the image, the grinder advises us to use the thin thicknesses (from 1 to 3) to make espressos, the thicker thicknesses (from 12 to 17) for French presses, and to play with the intermediate values in case we want to prepare normal filter coffee—a really interesting help, especially for those not initiated in the art of coffee grinding.
Once you have decided on the thickness of the coffee you want to use, the operation of this Melitta Grinder couldn’t be simpler: select the amount of coffee you want to grind and press the start button. The grinder will grind for just enough time to obtain the desired amount, at the thickness you have specified.
Melitta Molino: main features
- Black plastic housing, with decorations on the dial of the dispenser in two colours: black or red.
- 17 predefined grinding thicknesses.
- Legend with the recommended thicknesses for each type of coffee.
- Capacity to grind a maximum of 200 grams of coffee.
- Grinding dispenser, which allows us to grind for a minimum of 2 cups and for a maximum of 14.
- Transparent container for storing ground coffee.
- This container includes a lid to preserve the aroma and freshness of the ground coffee.
- Non-slip sideburns on the base.
- Automatic switch-off after each use.
- Integrated compartment for storing or storing excess cable.
- Power: 100 watts.
- Dimensions: 16 x 9 x 25 cms.
- Weight: approximately 1.5 kg.
Advantages of the Melitta Molino grinder
- The 17 grinding thicknesses to choose from. A variety wide enough to cover all needs.
- The phenomenal detail of including the recommended grind thicknesses according to the type of coffee to be prepared (see the second photo of this report).
- The enormous prestige of having a firm behind it like Melitta. A complete guarantee.
- We find the quality-price ratio very attractive. Surprising, even.
Disadvantages of the Melitta Molino grinder
- Only 100 watts of power.
- It is true that it is marketed in two versions: black and red. But this colour distinction only refers to the decoration around the dial of the dispenser. The main body of the Melitta Coffee Grinder is always made of black plastic.
Videos of the Melitta coffee grinder
In this video, you can see a presentation with the Melitta grinder live:
Why buy a Melitta Molino?
A first-class brand like the German Melitta could not bring us anything else but a mill, also of the highest quality. For its price, it is in the mid-range of domestic coffee grinders, although for its performance, this Melitta Molino could well be considered medium-high level. The variety of grinding ranges (up to 17) is particularly noteworthy, making it a very versatile grinder capable of satisfying very different needs: from espresso to French press. Few coffee mills can boast of this.
Its main competitors are the Delonghi KG89, the Rommelsbacher EKM 200 or the Severin 3873, all of them worthy representatives of the electric grinders sector. Although, being clear, none of them equals Melitta Molino in the combination of Nº of Grinding Adjustments vs Final Price. If you want something more upscale, you can also go for the Melitta Calibra, which would be next on the list.
In short: a great option if you’re looking for an electric coffee grinder for various uses (or for various types of preparations).