Capacity: 225 grams
When it comes to the best grinders on the market, the range of options is limited to a fairly select number of alternatives. Our protagonist today, the Baratza Virtuoso grinder, is one of the few pieces chosen from this group.
Users familiar with high-end coffee grinders will know the Baratza brand well. We have already analysed the fantastic Baratza Encore grinder on the web, a very complete model to which the Baratza Virtuoso improves even more.
This Baratza Virtuoso is an electric grinder that comes in a very robust body, designed not only to be durable and aesthetically-pleasing but also to muffle the sounds of grinding to a maximum. The result is a grinder that is much quieter than the rest (a detail that is especially appreciated in the morning).
The Baratza Virtuoso coffee grinder has no less than 40 grinding settings, which allow you to use the grinder for all kinds of uses, from French press coffee to traditional filter coffee, to the finest possible grinding for making espressos. The grinding range of these 40 settings goes from 200 microns at the finest level to 1200 microns at the maximum thickness.
In addition, and to achieve maximum product freshness, this Baratza Virtuoso grinder minimises the amount of ground coffee left over. Everything that is thrown into the hopper ends up being ground and goes into the tank.
Baratza Virtuoso coffee grinder: Out of the ordinary grinding wheels
Let’s now talk about the main element of any grinder: the motor and the grinding wheels. The Baratza Virtuoso uses milling cutters or conical grinding wheels, 40 mm in diameter, manufactured in Europe. They are extremely durable, and the grinding remains intact for many years. They are mounted on the engine with a system exclusive to Baratza, which guarantees the stability of the entire grinding platform and, consequently, a totally uniform grinding.
In this sense, the technology found in the engine of the Baratza Virtuoso is another of the secrets of its success. The coffee beans are always kept at the right temperature, with no risk of overheating (and therefore of picking up a burning aroma), even when grinded for a long time. The rotor speed is reduced to 450 rpm, which also has a positive effect on noise reduction.
To round off a round product, the Baratza Virtuoso is super easy to operate and maintain. The grinding wheels can be removed without tools. It is started up with a single large button (located on the front panel), and the grinder also incorporates a 60-second timer that allows us to program a specific and exact grinding time. You can see it in the following picture. You can also grind the coffee directly on an espresso machine filter!
Baratza Virtuoso grinder: general characteristics
- Conical grinding mill, 40 mm in diameter.
- Ultra-silent bodywork.
- Allows the coffee to be ground towards the grinder’s own tank, or directly on a coffee maker filter.
- It has 40 grinding levels or thicknesses to choose from, ranging from 200 to 1200 microns thick.
- Ground coffee container with a capacity of up to 150 grams.
- The grinders can be easily removed from the interior, without the use of tools.
- Hopper capacity: 225 grams of coffee beans.
- Grinding suitable for making espressos.
- Timer of up to 60 seconds.
- Motor power: 240 watts.
- Includes one year manufacturer’s warranty.
- Dimensions: 12 x 35 x 16 cms.
- Weight: just over 3 kg.
Advantages of the Baratza Virtuoso
- The 40 grinding levels, which make the Baratza Virtuoso one of the most versatile mills on the market. You can obtain the perfect grinding, whatever your requirements.
- It is a fairly quiet grinder, thanks to the materials used in the construction of the casing.
- The uniformity of the grinding. The results are almost robotic, and hardly any lumps or particles larger than the rest escape.
- The timer to be able to grind for an exact and precise time.
Disadvantages of the Baratza Virtuoso
- The price, of course. It is a grinder focused only on the most demanding consumer, or small businesses where it will be used extensively. It is a much more expensive grinder than most espresso machines on the market.
- It does not have a standard automatic switch-off function, although we can predefine the grinding time with the timer. This does not mean that the grinder turns off when it finishes grinding.
Baratza Virtuoso grinder: videos
We complete our analysis with a commercial presentation of this Baratza Virtuoso, which will be very useful for you to get an idea of how it works live:
And if you want a more in-depth review, the best we can offer is this sensational work from our Seattle Coffee Gear colleagues:
Why buy a Baratza Virtuoso?
Nowadays, we only dare to mention the impressive Rancilio Rocky as the only grinder capable of competing with this Baratza Virtuoso. It is a mill that exceeds the capacities of the Baratza Encore model point by point (which is already a very above average mill). Both the Rocky and the Virtuoso are pieces aimed at the high-profile consumer, who knows the product he is making and how he should process it. Very few users are willing to pay more than 200 pounds for a coffee grinder.