First of all, a clarification: a coffee serving jug is not necessarily a thermos, although of course there can be thermos jugs. There are several types of coffee carafes, although the price and the use we will give it will be essentially the same in all cases. Or at least very similar.
In general, it is a fairly cheap product, and much more popular a few years ago than today. The reason for this decline in the domestic presence of coffee jugs can be found in the revolution that the industry is undergoing with the emergence of capsule coffee machines. These machines make coffee cup by cup (thus making it useless to use a pitcher to serve it) and have taken market share away from filter coffee machines, which are traditionally the best match for this type of pitcher.
To open your mouth, here is a comparison of coffee jugs with an informative character, so you can have a look at the qualities and prices of some models. Later on, we will review some of them in more depth:
What we mean by a coffee jug
A service carafe (not the one from the coffee machine) where the coffee is poured after it has been made so that the guests can serve themselves directly from it.
We use the coffee jugs to serve the drink in several cups, usually after a large amount has been brewed in the coffee maker. This is a way to have the coffee on hand on the table (e.g. when you have visitors or guests at home) and not to depend on making it cup by cup in the coffee maker.
The characteristics of a coffee carafe are many, but there are several common features that must be met if they are to be really useful and not a piece of junk that you end up keeping in the cupboard at the first opportunity.
- They must have double coating, or insulating properties, to keep the coffee temperature warm.
- They must allow the contents to be served with just one hand.
- Sufficient capacity for the amount of coffee we usually brew at home or where we have the coffee machine.
The best coffee jugs 2020
In this section we are going to talk in more detail about three models of coffee jugs that we think are particularly outstanding (within the immense offer that exists in the market, everything must be said). Of each one we present you its main qualities, its price, and why we have decided to include it in our selection.
Carafe of Cressimo Airpot coffee
We start with an instrument so large that it almost looks like a small coffee percolator. We don’t know whether to call it a domestic coffee pot, since its 2.2-litre capacity makes it one of the largest options on the market. Moreover, to serve the coffee we don’t even have to tilt it: just press the spout lever as if it were a tap.
The Airpot coffee carafe is made of 18/8 stainless steel and can keep the temperature inside hot for up to 12 hours.
- LONG HEAT AND COLD RETENTION » Cresimo’s vacuum insulation technology locks in temperature to preserve flavour and freshness, that keeps beverages hot or cold for 24 hours.
- QUALITY » Our double walled thermal airpot is made up of a durable 18/8 stainless steel interior and exterior, built to withstand the demands of everyday use.
- PUMP ACTION POURING » Pour spout easily dispenses your beverages with a simple pump of the level, making it easy for anyone to use.
- USER FRIENDLY » It’s large mouth opening makes filling and cleaning easy; it can even be used with ice for extra cold refreshment. It’s outer body stays cool to the touch when filled with hot...
- WORRY FREE 1 YEAR WARRANTY » 100% Guarantee! If you are not completely satisfied, contact us immediately! This warranty is exclusive to sales through Cresimo only and purchases made through...
0.8-litre Black coffee jug
This model is a small coffee carafe (it’s great for those who don’t need to prepare huge amounts of coffee every time). It is made of double-walled 18/10 stainless steel of the highest quality, and its black lacquer is very striking.
This coffee carafe is made by Luvan, and has a capacity of 0.8 litres of coffee, but the best thing about it is its double vacuum insulation, and the fact that it can be washed in the dishwasher.
- 27 oz,Made of 18/10 Food-grade stainless steel
- 24+ Hrs Heat&Cold Retention with double-walled stainless steel vacuum insulation design.An ideal pot for coffee,tea,beverage,milk etc
- Durable construction: made of heavy-duty 18/10 stainless steel so it is rustproof and impervious to acidic beverages.It will never retain stains or odors, and it cleans easily in your dishwasher
- Not glass lined,no risk of cracking;Spill proof design with press button top;The vacuum insulation between the walls seals heat and cold inside,even when filled with hot coffee,the carafe is safe to...
- 1 Years no hassle warranty and professional support team available 24/7
Columbus coffee jug
And we ended up with a very original coffee jug: The Columbus model from the Leifheit house. The name Columbus refers, without a doubt, to Columbus’ egg and the peculiar shape of this 1-litre thermal jug in black (although it is also available in other colours).
Despite its decorative appearance, it is a very practical jug that can be handled, opened and served with one hand.
- Coffee or tea? The LEIFHEIT vacuum jugs serve your drink hor or cold
- In any case just the way you want it
- High quality materials guarantee best insulation
- The proven LEIFHEIT aroma button allows you to open, pour & close with just one hand
- Dimensions L 22 cm W 16 cm H 22 cm
Stainless steel coffee jugs
There are two types of coffee jugs depending on their material: steel and glass. The glass group is more homogeneous (see next section), but the steel coffee jugs can have many variations.
To begin with, there are many types of stainless steel, so we can find 18/10 stainless steel coffee jugs, or 18/8, for example (there are more types of steel, but not as common in the food industry).
They can also be presented in metal, or lacquered in different colours. However, all of them have double-wall insulation, and many of them have a plastic lid that allows sealing the interior, and that is lifted/activated with the thumb of the hand that holds the handle.
Here are some examples of stainless steel coffee jugs available from Amazon:
Glass coffee jugs
The function of the glass coffee jugs is basically the same as that of the steel ones, although the latter are generally attributed with a greater insulating capacity. Naturally, glass coffee jugs have the advantage that they allow you to see inside and therefore know how much coffee is left at any given time. Well, nothing is written about taste: it’s your turn to decide!
In general, we can say that when it comes to buying a glass coffee carafe we have fewer options to choose from in the market than with steel ones (the offer is not so wide, although it is sufficient).
The best-selling coffee jugs 2020
And to finish our report, in case you haven’t decided yet, we offer you the updated list of the most purchased coffee jugs among consumers this year (real data from Amazon). These may not be the best coffee jugs to serve, but they are certainly a good reference for you to take the pulse of the market before you decide: